Latest posts

Mother Jailed for Leaving Kids in Car During Interview Says She Was Desperate

An Arizona mother jailed for leaving her kids in the car during a job interview recently spoke Taylor2out about what prompted her to make that decision.

Appearing on the “Today” show, Shanesha Taylor said she had to make a tough choice.

“I had to make a choice between providing for my children and caring for my children,” she said.

She told host Matt Lauer that she decided that what was most important to her was providing food and shelter for her children.

In May Shanesha Taylor, 35, left her 2 year old and 6 month old in her Dodge Durango for 45 minutes while she went on a job interview at a Farmer’s Insurance Office in Scottsdale, Arizona. When someone spotted the kids, police were called and Taylor was arrested.

Taylor, who says she was homeless at one point, rolled the windows down before going inside to the job interview.

Once police arrived, Taylor attempted to explain her situation but was was arrested and charged with two counts of child abυse. Now Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery is giving Taylor is dropping the charges if Taylor attends parenting classes.

Taylor’s arrest sparked national attention as she became a symbol of poor working class people who can’t afford childcare but are doing their best to care for their children.

According to Arizona Central,  “Taylor had received support donations of nearly $115,000, which, as part of her agreement with the county attorney, is placed in a trust fund to pay for her children’s educations, according to her attorney Benjamin Taylor, who appeared with her on the show.”

Even though Taylor’s children were taken away from her, a court commissioner granted her visits with both children in May under the supervision of a Child Protective Services specialist

1. janp

July 31, 2014 at 12:39 pm

This is where our churches should come in. My pastor kept my child in his office during the day for several months so I could continue school while I applied for welfare after my husband left. I was first year college. I went on to beyond my BA. Had a wonderful career. Both my kids have degrees, my daughter her PHD. My church made all the difference. To bad this women could not turn to a church, community center or somewhere. It might have made all the difference Iin her life. I pray every day that I can do something for someone everyday that makes a difference

• Daisy

July 31, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I agree. Churches are supposed to help people. They collect huge donations from their members, buy extravagant homes and cars because of their parishoners, live quite well because of the parishoners and a lot of them never help their parishoners when they are in need. Something is wrong with this picture. Churches and Pastors need to step up and not only help their parishoners, but also reach out to their communities.

2. Kinaya C. Sokoya

July 31, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Good comments. Churches cannot do it all, however. There is a need for more safe drop-in centers to help parents who need to take care of business.

3. Cincere

July 31, 2014 at 2:55 pm

@ Anastasia you have a true lack of compassion for this woman’s situation. Did your mother tell you if you don’t have nothing nice to say don’t say it? You don’t know what that woman had to endure through out her life, so what gives you a reason to say anything negative about her? Seems like you need just as much prayer as Shanesha do and you don’t have her issue’s.

4. Gail

August 1, 2014 at 12:24 am

I am not saying that what she did was right but there are many things that people of other races do that should be considered child abuse. If black people did such things they would be thrown in jail and their family would be broken apart. I see your point Louis but everyone can’t wait until they are financially secure to have children. Have you heard of bankruptcy, illness, etc… These things can chance financial status. If all Blacks waited to be financially secure to have children our numbers would be greatly diminished. Blacks in general only make a fraction of the money that some other races make. Do we not deserve to have offspring?

5. Devon

August 1, 2014 at 1:06 am

She wouldve been more desperate if her kids died in the car or if a perv kidnapped them. This is why I constantly say blkwmn need to stop having babies without husbands.

6. Cali

August 1, 2014 at 8:29 am

@devon….kill itself please! @anastasia..u r satan himself. So sad to be so heartless. Ask yourself why Caucasians make up 70 percent of the welfare rolls. Should the PWT stop making those sicko killer kids.

7. Cali

August 1, 2014 at 8:55 am

PWT poor white stank trash

8. LeahO

August 2, 2014 at 8:42 pm

This woman should never had been arrested. Instead they should’ve let her off with a warning.

9. melanie

August 9, 2014 at 7:07 pm

i feel sorry for women who find themselves in this situation. this is wear you have to barter for services. perhaps asking a neighbor or friend to watch your children and in turn you keep their kids for a weekend or clean or prepare a meal for them. we have to get back to a sense of community. i hate that she didnt have any family or that her kids father or fathers werent there to support her. but these are the kind of things you have to think about before you have kids. i work at night to help me with my childcare situation. its a lot easier to find a sitter when your kids will be sleep while you work and i kept my own kids in the daytime. thats an option if you have a job that will let you work alternative shifts. many people turn their noses up at night time work, but i never had to worry about before school or after school care and i went to work just as my children are headed for bed