News

Writer Kim Moore Says Boycotting Florida Won’t Work: Do You Agree?

By  |

wepoweop1

by Kim Moore

Saturday, July 13, 2013 is a day that will forever be etched in the minds of those who long for justice in the United States of America. It is the day that a jury, comprised of six women (five of whom were white and one who is racially ambiguous) found George Zimmerman not guilty in the killing of then 17 year old Trayvon Martin.

The response from the community was filled with anger, confusion, hurt, pain, uncertainty and outrage; and rightfully so. Now people in communities all over the world have awaken and decided that they have had enough. Since Saturday, many have taken to the streets, to peacefully protest the verdict in the Zimmerman case, express their disgust for how the justice system works and the ever prevalent, ‘Stand Your Ground’ law. In the midst of all this, there has been much talk about boycotting the state of Florida, specifically tourism, and while I agree that boycotts should take place and they do work, I don’t agree with boycotting the state in its entirety. There are a couple of things we need to consider if we want to effectively change the Stand Your Ground law.

Stand Your Ground laws exist in other states as well, about 30 others states to be exact. California, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Texas, West Virginia and more, have all adopted laws similar to Stand Your Ground. So, if we boycott Florida, what do we do about these other states where Stand Your Ground is enforced?

The intention is right, a boycott needs to happen, it’s our execution that could use a little work. Don’t boycott the state because of Stand Your Ground, boycott the actual law and the corporations (like ALEC and the NRA) and individuals who backed it financially and in congress, that way it gets amended/abolished in every state it exists in. Dream Defenders is an excellent example of how we can use our power to seek out the change we want as they occupy the Florida Capitol and demand that the Governor repeal Stand Your Ground.

If we boycott the state of Florida, we could essentially do damage to the very people we’re trying to protect and help. Jobs will be lost, unemployment will go up, and people who look like us could end up in financial distress. There are tons of urban communities in Florida and many black owned businesses. If you boycott Florida, you will be boycotting them too.

Remember, it costs money to get laws passed so it’s imperative that we follow the money trail to see who is financially supporting these bills. While many injustices have taken place in the state of Florida, there are other states that speak injustice fluently as well. Florida is not the end-all be-all of injustice and for that reason we shouldn’t go after Florida alone. We need to narrow our focus, be more specific and dig a little deeper.

We have the right idea; we just need to change our target so we can hit the bulls-eye.

Twitter: @SoulRevision

Facebook: www.facebook.com/KimRMoore

Kim Moore is an award winning activist and public speaker who works to raise the collective consciousness of the people. Kim serves as a consultant to various non-profits teaching them how to start grass-roots movements and works to empower the next generation of leaders.

What's Your Thoughts

Loading Facebook Comments ...

1. DAJ

July 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Sorry, but your argument is weak. While more than 30 states may have the Stand Your Ground law, Florida is the battleground for change RIGHT NOW. There’s no reason why efforts can’t be targeted at the law and the STATE at the same time. Boycotting the State should be used as ammunition; if they won’t change the law, we won’t spend our money in Florida. Period.

When businesses and tourist attractions start to feel the pain of a boycott, they too, will be begging policymakers to “do something.”

As far as black Florida workers being affected by a boycott, so sorry for them. Sometimes we have to suffer temporary inconveniences for the better good. DO you think Montgomery workers wanted to walk to work for over a year instead of riding public transportation? No they didn’t, but they sacrificed to put an end to having to ride the back of the bus like third-class citizens.

• Toni

July 17, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chris Martin

July 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm

…and stay the hells outta that over-rated, over prized, rip-off, stand in the line, ish breaking down, no refundin’ Disney world too!

ole racist towns like sandford, Casselberry still harbor old ways and mentalities, nice place to retire if you have money that HELPS to insulate you from the crappy standards of those old towns…. I got off 95 and ended up in Casselberry (not far from Sanford, FL and it was like I was in the twilight zone or some place

3. jDub81

July 17, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Negro pleeeeze!!!!

4. MsPeppa

July 17, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I love you AJ, but stay out of my head, LOL. You practically took the words out of my mind. Furthermore, once we boycott Florida, and they feel our wrath, other states will change that retched law quicker than that Juror changed her tune about that book deal. Let the politicians go after Alec and te NRA. We are the grass roots machine. let us do us. I also have a petition to boycott Tourism in Florida until SYG is abolished. I have almost 1000 signatures. And I am not going to stop until I have a solid Million.

5. Leroy Mayfield

July 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm

The stand your ground law/s don’t need to be abolished. They just need some tweaking; for one, standing your ground should not be afforded to someone who initiates an altercation and then ultimately cannot defend himself to the point where he must resort to deadly force.

Don’t start none…won’t be none!!

• fred sims

July 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

You wrote this comment I feel threatened.

6. Hiroader2

July 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm

FLORIDA’s problem is not “the SYG law “.., It’s certain portions of people
    are not receiving equal “representation ” judicially and politically … If you farm & harvest,.. you could produce armies of qualifying applicants for SYG….

• DAJ

July 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

SYG is a problem. It creates an uncivilized society. Simple self-defense or even the Castle Doctrine? Yes. SYG? No. It needs to go.

7. kt

July 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

having served in 3 branches of military being black i know the struggles and know culture. blacks need to do simply what everyone else has done. develop our own economies. although this has been done in the past for example tulsa ok. the black wall street destroyed by whites claiming a riot. we have to remember that the white man history shows that the will tell a lie and call it the truth and put it in the books. the bible itself is a perfect example. used by slave masters against the slaves and still today. that is not to say not to be a christian but know what youre reading and why and how it was developed. that is the problem, we are a consumer nation. being a child of the 60’s blacks then were about education, jobs, etc. now its like we lack the want for knowledge. and if the white education system doesnt want to teach our history then we must. the black church must and thats the problem.blacks dont talk nor accept the fact that slavery is why we to this day still treat each other the way we do. we are the first race, all others are ethnic. black americans, not african americans who came up with that shit was done to patronize us for the wrong done. we are not by no shape or form african, no disrepect, but that blood line went away at least 100 years ago, yes by history we are related but then all men regardless of color have african dna. the amount of ignorance that america is showing is so sad but only reinforces the numbers as to why we have fallen from the top, even our quality of life has fallen not due to obama but due to policies from the past 40 years. blacks need to stop buying bullshit, stop with the jordans, stop buy black, if you need a mechanic go black, demand the best from him but dont jew down the price for his labor if it is good. it was said by a black millionaire its like a relay race. in a relay race each runner past the baton to the next runner in hopes he or she wins. blacks with money have not done that have not past on assistance to those wanting to get ahead. like we buy weaves from koreans, chinese etc. who watch you like youre stealing yet were foolish enough to give our money. yet not one black american with money has tried to corner the market nor supply to black owned businesses. slavery was the business of america that provided the framework of the capitalistic structure that exist to this day. stop being that tool. America is not a country its a Business.

• Melissa

July 18, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that we need to support ourselves more than we do and we need to teach our history. Our minds are so warped with negativity about our blacks selves in this country that we forgot we are the geniuses of the world. Black people need to recognize that while we were enslaved against our will, we LIVED and became INGENIOUS though the onslaught. What but genius could invent a language that the master couldn’t understand? What but genius would allow slaves to use their native religions to make massa believe we knew magic? (Read Charles Chesnutt’s “The Conjure Woman.”) I don’t see any reason why we need to keep asking a group of people who hate us for recognition. Why don’t we simply turn out backs and ignore the “white consciousness” (my word for racism etc. that is a concept, not a race of people because all white people are not racist or bad people). We should take the Booker T. Washington idea of “set down your buckets where you lay” and apply it to OURSELVES, making us indispensable to OURSELVES as opposed to the “white consciousness.” There’s nothing wrong with this type of support. I would radically change America. I just looked to see if I could find a clip of this commercial. I wasn’t surprised that I could not. It was only on the TV for a couple of nights, but it was very arresting to look at this nation without us in it.

8. Tim

July 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Kim Moore is dead wrong. She works with non-profits and has a non-profit mind set. I m going to start with any carton that says Florida on it. I will get my vitamin C somewhere else. I just got a text of Koch Brothers companies and I have already sent it our to 500 people on my phone list
    Black America is the profit margin any loyal customers of many companies that support ALEC and hate us. I will guarantee that that the lawmakers in Florida.
    Please join this non violent demonstration.

• rubyfromnj

July 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Tim, please tell me where I can get a list of Koch companies. I’d like to spread the word to my many friends and acquaintances.

9. Tim

July 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Black America is the profit margin any loyal customers of many companies that support ALEC and hate us. I will guarantee that that the lawmakers in Florida will change the laws when they start to hear from businesses that are affected by our boycott.
    Please join this non violent demonstration.

10. big m

July 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm

She is right we need to start at the white house men an women. Then spread nation wide

11. Loli

July 17, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Don’t be offended but I was expecting a more compelling and profound argument against the boycott, something that touched on issues that haven’t been considered. This was not what I was looking for, thus unconvincing.

12. Ewatl

July 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I think a strategic boycott would work, top down. First all the African American fraternal, faithbased and civil rights organizations should announce, as Stevie Wonder did, that they will host no conferences or meeting in Florida until their Stand Your Ground law is rescinded. Second, black Mothers should stand with their athletic high school senior sons and say they will not allow their sons lives to be in jeopardy by accepting any letters of commitment from many schools in Florida other than HBCUs. Third, individuals should boycott large businesses that have their corporate offices in Florida. I believe This type of strategic boycotting will have the most immediate and most lasting effect.

• Toni

July 17, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Can you please post this on Facebook & Instagram to reach other readers! This is a great idea!

• Melissa

July 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Oh I totally DIG THE BOYCOTTING OF FLORIDA COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES!! Unless they are HBCUs of course and sometimes that might also be dangerous for your sons (case in point, FAMU). Boy, you wanna see some laws stopped right now? Take away the money people’s “young black sports buck” and they’ll be running to your door with changes.

13. cgqueen

July 17, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I think that boycotting Florida is the only way besides taking up petitions. There should be no musicians, no actors or actresses supporting this state in anything. Those who supports Trayvon should stop going there as a tourist place or vacation place. They have used their bias ways to support laws in their state which obviously doesn’t mean its equal for all. Especially those of color, they have actually tried to make a spectacle of a young lady who testified for Trayvon in making a mockery out of her towards blacks. Florida state justice system is not fair and Zimmerman should have never been freed and allow to carry his gun so he can kill another black man again.

14. rubyfromnj

July 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

If African Americans nationwide boycott all 21 states which have Stand-Your-Ground laws, that could have a tremendous impact on the economies of those states. Black people spend billions each year in this economy. Let’s encourage our high-earning black brothers and sisters to avoid spending their millions in those states, then do likewise. It should be easy to find which states have those laws. Google them.

15. Melissa

July 18, 2013 at 6:43 pm

16. Leonia DU'Cre Cyiark

July 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I’m a female i was a neighborhood captain my duties was to observe and call police if my neighbors saw something strange they would call me ask me to call the police. i was a captain for more than 10 years the police dept was involve with us and not one time i was told to carry a gun. at meetings we would have a police officer present and he or she would discuss with us how to make our home and enviroment safe .

17. Robyn Howzell

July 18, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Sounds like someone is trying what others have for centuries…. Reverse psychology.
    Carry on people… President Obama has been preaching “grassroots” organizing. We are now listening.

18. M. Hunter

July 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm

yes i believe a boycott would do some good. I hope it happen. Look at what happen when people boycott the buses in Alabama it change things.

19. queenjazze

July 19, 2013 at 4:23 am

I think we need to think of something else…..I have to sleep on this one…

20. Selina chavis

July 19, 2013 at 8:39 am

I dont believe George Zimmerman’s story about what happened that night, and should not either.

Boycott Black Friday and Christmas as well for Trayvon Benjamin Martin. .

21. Haile

July 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm

When Jews vote they vote in a block so if you say or anything against them, they vote in a block against you. Someone asked Mayor Koch of New York why he was catering to jews more than blacks and Spanish Speaking New Yorkers who make up most of the city.”He said they dont vote.” When Jesse Jackson was running for president he called New York City Hymie Townn ” Which It Is,” those Jews stopped him in his tracks and up to this day they never forgave him.Famed Reporter Helen Thomas said that Israel should get out of Palestine and the Jews should go home. They asked her where, she said, where ever they came from.She lost her job.I am smply saying that if African people in America stick together we can do anything we want to do. In this country if you said anything right or wrong about ISRAEL in POLITICS you will never make it.Of course if you have the Plantation or slavery mentality the slave masters children and their Negro imps are right.

22. Lydia

July 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I do not agree with Kim Moore, If the Blacks in America stand together on this BOYCOTT it will work. Black in America spend more that any other race in America. And if you do as Stevie Wonder we can get that stand your ground laws OUT!!! aND i MEAN WE REALLY NEED TO BOYCOTT EVERYTHINE THERE, DISNEY WORLD, SEAWORLD, BUSCH GARDEN, EVERYTHING!!!

To me that’s what mess us up during the 60’s when we wanted to go and sit down in those white resterant and force them to take our money. and we just forgot about all the good black back in the wood joint, that served better food. and did spit in your food before serving you.

23. Wilson

July 31, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Oh yes it will help, a slow ride beats a fast walk any day.