Bring Back a Different World
82 Kidnapped Chibok School Girls Set Free by Boko Haram
BY SUSAN JOHNES
After three years of waiting, the families of some of the kidnapped Chibok girls had something to smile over last weekend. Boko Haram set free 82 of the Chibok school girls according to the Nigerian government.
Nigeria’s President first reported the release of the girls in a post on Twitter. He said to have involved lengthy discussions. The government stated it had negotiated the release in return for some Boko Haram suspects without divulging more details.
Of course, this comes six months after the insurgents released another bunch of twenty-one of the seized female students. The girls were taken into the hostage in April 2014 when the Islamist terrorist group stormed Chibok Secondary School in North Eastern Nigeria.
They broke into the school disguising as guards, captured and drove away close to three hundred teenage girls into jungle camps controlled by the Islamist militant group. The female students were preparing for national examinations at the school during that time. Amnesty International, a human rights group, has documented over forty-one mass abductions since then.
Ahmed Idriss of Aljazeera while reporting from Abuja-Nigeria said that many people were happy and excited but were also anxious. It is because this has been an emotional affair bearing in mind the tremendous hardship and the long journey the young women have been through in captivity.
Certainly, the reunification with their families is a celebration for the whole world even though over one hundred girls are still believed to be in detention. The latest development shines glimmers of hope to the likely freedom of all the girls.
Also, it serves the interest of intense worldwide campaign under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls that received the attention of celebrities and famous personalities such as former first lady Michelle Obama.
Significantly, the girls were flown to the capital Abuja on Sunday to meet President Muhammadu Buhari less than 48 hours after getting their freedom.
The President promised to support the young girls in their general well-being even as they go through rehabilitation, counseling, and integration to the society. Furthermore, the Nigerian government voiced their commitment to securing the release of all the hostages in the hands of Boko Haram.
Similarly, they thanked security agencies, the Swiss government, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and all those involved in the process of securing the girls.
The terrorist organization has been known to kidnap young women, whom they use as cooks and sex objects. They also aim to intimidate the local civilian population in the area into non-resistance. Boko Haram seeks to create an Islamic Caliphate in North Eastern part of Nigeria and has waged an eight-year offensive against the Nigerian government.
Read more details here.