OWN’s “Greenleaf” Is Headed To Netflix
By, Jen Nicole
Follow Jen Nicole on FB & IG @bloggerjennicole
My favorite show on the OWN Network is heading to Netflix!
Lionsgate who produces the series “Greenleaf” and has streaming rights crafted the deal with Netflix, and now season one of “Greenleaf” will premiere on March 3rd!
More information on the deal below via eurweb.com:
- Lionsgate & Netflix have closed a worldwide SVOD/Streaming Video On Demand deal for the OWN hit series “Greenleaf”
- The deal will give Netflix the premiere in all territories ex-US & Canada day after broadcast and shortly after its linear run in US/CA
- Season One will premiere globally on Netflix March 3
- “Greenleaf’s” second season will debut on OWN on March 15th, 2017. Production is currently underway in Atlanta.
- Produced for OWN by Lionsgate in association with Harpo Films and Pine City, “Greenleaf” premiered last June as the #1 series debut in OWN history and was 2016’s #1 new cable series for women, averaging over three million viewers in Live+3 in its first season. (Source: The Nielsen Company)
The OWN drama series “Greenleaf,” from award-winning writer/producer Craig Wright (“Lost,” “Six Feet Under,” “Brothers and Sisters”) and executive producers Oprah Winfrey and Clement Virgo (“The Book of Negroes”), takes viewers into the unscrupulous world of the Greenleaf family and their sprawling Memphis megachurch, where scandalous secrets and lies are as numerous as the faithful.
“Greenleaf” centers on the journey of estranged daughter and disillusioned preacher Grace “Gigi” Greenleaf (Merle Dandridge, “The Night Shift”) who has returned home after 20 years on the occasion of the mysterious death of her sister, Faith. As she reenters the world of Calvary Fellowship World Ministries, the Memphis megachurch run by her powerful parents Bishop James Greenleaf (Keith David, “Community”) and Lady Mae Greenleaf (Golden Globe nominee and Emmy award-winner Lynn Whitfield, “The Josephine Baker Story”), it becomes evident that things are not as virtuous as they seem and that the family’s outward display of faith hides sin and misdeeds. Oprah Winfrey guest stars in a recurring role as Mavis McCready, the sister of Lady Mae Greenleaf and a close confidante to Grace Greenleaf.
“Greenleaf” is produced for OWN by Lionsgate in association with Harpo Films and Pine City.
This is awesome news for Oprah and the OWN channel and the stars of the series. The series is phenomenal! If you haven’t checked it out already, check it out March 3rd on Netflix.