children

Kids die in housefire while mother gets her hair done

By  |  0 Comments

Parents are expected to protect their children at all times, and when they do not, tragedy may strike when it is least expected .  A woman is being accused of leaving her two sibling toddlers at home by themselves, leading their untimely death due to an unexpected housefire.

The mother is now facing charges for leaving her children to their deaths.  According to police in Bastrop, Louisiana, 21-year-old Ciarria Johnson left her two kids, four and three years old, at home alone so she could get her hair done.

As a result, 4-year-old Ta’shae Thompson Johnson and 3-year-old Clifton Thompson Johnson both lost their lives, leaving the entire nation stunned that any mother would ever do such a thing to her own children.  Ciarria says that she left the kids alone at 1 pm, and that she made arrangements for a neighbor to come by and watch them.

Inside the home, there were two gas space heaters, which can easily catch on fire.  When the woman came back to the house, it was on fire.

Police are disputing the mother’s story, claiming that she made no such arrangements for anyone to watch her kids.  Instead, they believe that she left the kids alone and made up the story to keep herself from going to prison.  They say that the only reason the grieving mother came home was because someone told her that her house was on fire.

According to CBS News, the fire started in the living room near the gas heater due to her having flammable items near the heaters themselves. She is now being is charged with two counts of negligent homicide for the deaths.

May the children rest in peace.  When you see this kind of irresponsible child abuse taking place in your community, don’t just let it happen, call the police immediately.

Here are some tips from State Farm insurance on how to use a space heater safely.  With the winter months being cold ones, tips like these may save the lives of you and your family:

    1. Give the heater some space. Placing a combustible object too close to a heater is the leading cause of space heater fires. Allow at least three feet of open space on each side of the unit.

    2. Use wall plug-ins. To prevent a fire, never plug a high-wattage space heater into an extension cord or multi-outlet strip.

    3. Opt for quality. When shopping for a space heater, select a unit that has all the latest safety features and the Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) label of approval. Look for cool-to-the-touch housings and automatic shutoff features that turn the unit off if it’s tipped over or overheating. Some units will automatically shut off if their infrared sensors detect a person or object that is too close to the heater panel—making them desirable choices for households with kids or pets.

    4. Never run a space heater in an unoccupied room. Always turn off a space heater when you leave the room and before going to bed, especially if young children or pets could come in contact with the device. Unplug the unit as an extra precaution.

READ MORE TIPS HERE