Raven Symone: “I’m not an African-American; I’m an American”

Raven Symone has grown up from the adorable child that she once was on The Cosby Show, to a far more complicated adult whose identity and persona appear to be entangled in a myriad of socio-political issues.  Symone took a second to sit down with Oprah Winfrey and talk about her personal identity, and her remarks left some people wonder what she is all about.

Symone opened up about being gay when she tweeted her excitement about the Supreme Court ruling that the ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.  In response to the decision, Symone  tweeted:

I can finally get married! Yay government! So proud of you

— Raven-Symonè (@MissRavenSymone) August 2, 2013

Oprah asked Symone if this was her way of admitting that she is gay. Symone seemed to confirm everything that Oprah was asking.
“That was my way of saying I’m proud of the country,” she says. “But, I will say that I’m in an amazing, happy relationship with my partner. A woman.”
Raven says that her privacy was taught to her by her family.  They let her know that living in the limelight would be stressful and that she’s best off keeping these things to herself.

“People in my family, they’ve taught me to keep my personal life to myself as much as possible. So, I try my best to hold the fence where I can,” Raven says. “But I am proud to be who I am and what I am.”

She also says that she doesn’t want to be labeled as a gay woman.  Instead, she wants to be something more than that.

“I don’t want to be labeled ‘gay,'” Raven said. “I want to be labeled ‘a human who loves humans.'”

She went further.

“I’m tired of being labeled,” she says. “I’m an American. I’m not an African-American; I’m an American.”

Once those words came out of Raven’s mouth, Oprah immediately reacted, knowing that people were going to go crazy over her remarks.   Oprah asked her to reiterate.

“Oh, girl,” Oprah says, shifting in her chair. “Don’t set up the Twitter on fire… Oh, my lord. What did you just say?”

Raven then seemed to want to explain that she was “colorless.”

“I mean, I don’t know where my roots go to,” Raven said. “I don’t know how far back they go… I don’t know what country in Africa I’m from, but I do know that my roots are in Louisiana. I’m an American. And that’s a colorless person.”

Oprah warned her right off the bat that she might be making a mistake with that sort of remark.

“You’re going to get a lot of flak for saying you’re not African-American. You know that, right?” Oprah asks.

“I don’t label myself,” Raven said. “I have darker skin. I have a nice, interesting grade of hair. I connect with Caucasian, I connect with Asian, I connect with Black, I connect with Indian, I connect with each culture.”

Did growing up as a child millionaire superstar leave Raven detached from the black experience, or is she convincing the rest of us to expand our minds?  Tell us what you think.

1. Trayva

October 6, 2014 at 11:13 am

In my opinion I just calling you that Raven does not want to be labeled. And her lifestyle is it going to be so labeled that she feel loved she take the label off of her lifestyle cause she might as well take it off of her life Ashley but at the root of it homemade just probably Caucasian or another backgrounds and it makes her relate to them probably a little more lesbian African American god bless ur who cares nobody knows her purse anywhere in this world except on television she could be anything is she could be a alien we don’t know

2. kimberly

October 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Raven is a beautiful woman woman I didn’t really understand everything the other comments was saying
    But I didn’t understand the part when she said we don’t know her and the world has to know that about celebrities so many of them are caught up in darkness homosexual so people should not be surprised no one knows what and who she chants tobesides.
    but when you make a statement on how your hair i why fair you know something is wrong nobody cares about the texture thank God she los thank God she lost weight that’s what the world cares that’s what the world cares about

3. shelly

October 6, 2014 at 11:59 am

That’s interesting that she says she doesn’t want to be labeled, but has no problem labeling herself “American.”

• Ronald

October 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Brilliant observation Shelly.

4. Andre'

October 6, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Shelly – Precisely my sentiments

5. Samori

October 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Shelly you are 100% spot on

6. Sasha

October 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I don’t like being labeled either, however, that whole conversation was confusing. I’m not sure what to think. Oh well, Bless her Heart!!

7. Richard

October 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Every role Raven has ever been casted for from The Cosby Show to College Road Trip was that of an African-American girl. People are entitled to their opinions regardless of how asinine they may sound.

8. Jean

October 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I’m glad she said it. I know the country and world we live in prefers to put us in a box and she would prefer to NOT be in a box. Whenever I have to complete forms that ask for my race, I put in other and then type Human. I am of the human race. If you want to know my genetic make up, according to Ancestry.com I have various African countries in my DNA as well as European countries, South American countries, etc. Hmmmm. I am me. The moment we can let go of the labels (regardless of what others try to label us with) and respond from the human level where we all exist, maybe then we can begin to treat each other with the respect and courtesy all humans deserve.

• Ronald

October 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Labels have nothing to do with how you are treated in this society, your accent does, your hair texture does, where you live does, your income does, who you know does. But your skin color trumps all of these. Raven, tell that rascist cop who pulls you over, hurls insults or roughs you up “but I’m an American” and see what difference it makes to him.

• Unk

October 6, 2014 at 2:51 pm

The colorless society you speak of may very well come to be, but it probably won’t get her until the next millennium. If you make it to 3014, you may get to live in the world in which we you dream. In the meantime, (despite the European nations you cling to in your ancestry) You sound like a black person. Recognize it. Own it. Right now you are daydreaming about fairytales. The sooner you step into the realization of where we are in 2014, the better off you will be in life. Accept your own and be yourself.

9. Bob

October 6, 2014 at 12:45 pm

@ admin. Did growing up as a child millionaire superstar leave Raven detached from the black experience,……?

No. It left her detached from reality.

Raven Symone is confused about many things.

10. madpoet429

October 6, 2014 at 12:50 pm

She can be labeled American all she wants until she gets pulled over by the police or confronted by some crazy ass racist. Its amazing how some of our “black folk” want to be everything else but black! I have white, asian, black & latino friends but my ass is still Black & thats what I consider myself, a Black Man!

11. warren

October 6, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I have three roots, African American, European, Native American— I am a woman of color.
    You may call me African American, BUT! what about my other roots? Am i supposed to just forget,delete, pretend they don’t exist? NO, of course not. . I was not born and raised in Africa. I was born and raised in America being of different roots. Therefore I am not African American and neither is the majority of Backs. To me an African American is a person who was born in Africa and came to the U.S and became an American Citizen. tthat is an African American. I can’t seem to understand why people don’t see that or understand that. . .

12. Charles E. Campbell

October 6, 2014 at 1:06 pm

In America, you can’t avoid race. We all want to learn in a world where being a human being or an American is how Black African Americans are viewed. Despite Raven viewing herself as an American, the world see her as a Black African American.

13. Mike

October 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I agree I’ve went colored,negro,to black to Afro American to African American and that’s all in the span of 50 plus years
    I’m a American who happens to be BLACK NO MORE LABLES

• Marcia

October 6, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I agree with you Mike. All I want as a person of color is to have my rights as an American citizen. When we became Black, forms in America ask your “color” what kind of nonsense was that. I would become purple, orange and blue. We are only in categories so the moneychangers are aware of how many of us are here in America.

14. Arlene

October 6, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Madpoet429 you hit the nail right on the head. You got it right.

15. Flo

October 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm

She’s right, what other race in America has had to change its race title so many times to suit white America? Nigger, Negro, Colored, African American, Black and Back Again’ It doesn’t matter what the label is when the treatment hasn’t changed

16. Andrea

October 6, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I fully understand Raven’s comments. I too, consider myself a Black woman, not an African-American. Our cultural names have been” Negro, Colored, Black and now, African- American. Who decides on these terminologies??; A white professor, maybe? We don’t call Germans here, German Americans, or Polish people, Polish Americans, or Italians, Italian American. Why the special label for Black people? I’m no more an African American than I am an Italian American. My roots I’m unaware of, because I haven’t done an ancestry search. I do know my grandfather was Haitian and very educated; I don’t think my family members were former slaves, but then again, I don’t know.

• Unk

October 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Yes we do. I hear the term Italian-American or Jewish-American all the time. The difference is those terms don’t have the same stigma attached to them like the word ‘African-American’. No one is told they should be embarrassed to be an Italian-American. It’s not controversial to be German. It’s only when black people try to regain a bit of their stolen ancestry that all hell breaks loose. And if your grandfather was Haitian and your roots go back to Haiti, you best believe (if they are black) they got there on a slave ship.

• GMC262

October 6, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Wikipedia is not infallible but this article reflects what I seem to recall-that “Black” and “African American” originated with the black community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American#Terminology
      From the late Kwame Toure:
      “But the question of, why do black people…why do white people in this country associate Black Power with violence? And the question is because of their own inability to deal with “blackness.” If we had said “Negro Power” nobody would get scared. Everybody would support it. Or if we said power for colored people, everybody’d be for that, but it is the word “Black,” it is the word “Black” that bothers people in this country, and that’s their problem, not mine–their problem, their problem.”

17. Kingdom

October 6, 2014 at 1:27 pm

No comment

18. george

October 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm

You GO, ‘Raven’….
    Would that we could live in a world where was no ”color”….no LABELS….I have to problem with her declaring herself of no ‘color’, especially given the TV life shes lived, as a child and as an adult.

Congrats on finding your ONE, Raven!!!

19. bengia

October 6, 2014 at 1:32 pm

oh stop! all you crazy loyalist. Raven is living in a bubble just call it what is.is she dating outside her race ,
    does she only co exist with people of her on mind set. their are so many questions that can be asked of ms.are mr.symone but i digress.But just ask your self why are we the only race that wants to be other than what we are. the simple answer is because we don’t know who we are we are embarresed by association.
    jewish,chinese,italian,mexican,caucasian,polish,the list goes on” you get my point.we must stop allowing these
    silly people to brain wash us into non existance be proud be stong be honest . PEACE!

• JJ

October 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Amen, Amen, Amen!!!

• Nee

October 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm

PREACH!!!! I’m Down with what the late Mr. James Brown said, “Say Loud I’m Black and I’m Proud”!!!!!

20. Clifford B Simmons

October 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm

One must understand that the educational system and mass media conglomerates are designed to make one think like Sister Simone. I don’t fault her AT ALL and understand that the MIS-EDUCATION that she was exposed to has caused her mind to think like those who trained her. It’s not her fault, she just needs to be enlightened by those who have received the light. The tragedy is that there are millions more of our people who either think like her or act in the way she thinks but proclaim to be a proud African Anerican while at the same time don’t do anything for their people. Steven Biko said that your mind does not take its complexion from the skin. A perfect example is Clarence (Uncle) Tom-ass. Let’s keep loving her and helping her to understand the truth…we cannot do that by bashing her for she”ll run further into darkness/mid-information.
    I close with wisdom from Minister Farrakhan who said “He who gives the diameter of your knowledge prescribes the circumference of your activity” and I will add of your knowledge of self.
    My prayers go out to Sister Simone and to all of you.

21. Charles

October 6, 2014 at 1:51 pm

What’s seem to be the problem when Raven says she’s American rather than African American? I agree and feel the same way. With such name of a people, just because of where their ancestor were. That was then.. If Blacks are called African-Americans, then what does the mainstream society call themselves. I do not care what others think but as for me I am an American. If ancestry has anything to do with it, every ethnic group should call themselves according to where their ancestors came as well. Why specifically the Black. If I was African-American, then I must have became a citizen of the United States 63 years. Then that would make me an African-America because I was born in another country.

22. blacjk jones

October 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm

We human beings who happen to be black are not colorless —-we are people of color who have survived history repeating itself over and over again —it’s time we become proud of who we are, touch the hand of beautiful people like yourself squeeze it, and say “I LOVE YOU” and keep doing it to release some of the pain that has been bought upon us causing us to suffer because of bullies and other perpetrators of so-called minority situations (poverty and the like)..”.LET LOVE IN”…….PEACE!!!!!

23. KImberly

October 6, 2014 at 2:31 pm

My great great great great great great grandfather is from Austria…my great great great grandfather married a Indian slave…my great grandmother who is Indian married a black man…my grandmother is half Indian and black…my grandmother married a creole black man…they had creole black children and those creole black children had creole black children.HELLO!I AM BLACK!AND PROUD OF IT!

24. WORNER CRUSE

October 6, 2014 at 2:44 pm

LOOK I AM 60 YEARS OLD, I AM AMERICAN,NOT BLACK,NOT African-American ,MY GRAN-DAD IS GERMAN,AND GRAND-MOM IS INDIAN…NO AFRICAN SO STOP PUTTING YOUR SELFS IN THE COLOR BOX’S ONCE AGAIN I AM AMERICAN!!!!!!!

• Unk

October 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm

If you’re not black, why are you on this website?

25. Catherine

October 6, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Regardless of the origin of America’s culture of labels, I regard our hyphenations as paying tribute to heritage. Sure, we’re a mixed up nation, confused in many ways, but we’re also a truly unique culture. And, as far as being labeled an African-American, well as history has shown, I’m sure we can all imagine worse labels. So, when you ask yourselves what being “African-American” means, think positively and about those that came before you. Honor those that have paved the way, and wear the label “African-American” with pride. If we are truly to evolve as a people, as a nation, as humans, then we must also evolve our way of thinking, and this requires an understanding of and clear discourse on past and present to realize future progress.
    If this notion is too much for anyone to entertain, too overwhelming in any way whatsoever, then I recommend ridding ourselves of all labels including those designer labels many of us wear like badges of honor, which we feel our lives would be incomplete without.
    Peace to all!

26. FAROUQ

October 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

To declare yourself to be American is to lay claim to an ideal, not a reality. America is not decided on what it means to be American. There certainly is no uniquely defined culture to being American, except if it means to abandon one’s pre-American heritage (European, African, Native, Asian etc.) and to aspire to some colorless ideal. This is clearly in the eye of the individual, and is perhaps rooted in either an ignorance of one’s own heritage, or frustrated with having multiple ethnic heritages, or a failure to identify for whatever reason with a single strand of one’s heritage. Black people for the most part can’t blend into the background, and are daily reminded of their black identity (being determined by others – police, service agencies and social institutions etc.)
    Again, Raven wants to be left alone and be recognized as a great American. But should we lay out the dubiously ethical (looking for mild words here) history of American behavior abroad and at home, I doubt she would want to lay claim to any minute piece of that American heritage.

27. Lovie Marshall

October 6, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I agree with Ravan. It is not that she is trying to make herself colorless. Our race have been change so many times. From nigger, negro, black, colored and mulatto. I am proud of my race but accepting what they decide what race not acceptable to certain people who understand. In mathematics one percent is the answer to our race is consider right. But if you uses that same percentage on a math question it’s probably wrong. How can 1 percent override 99.99 percentage. We continue to accept what their decision is on race and percentage etc. Finally someone spoke out. Cudois to Raven.

28. Nina

October 6, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I think it’s her choice not.to place herself in a box. However the reality is that the world will. So good luck with that raven. Her interview was very odd.

29. marcus davis

October 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm

What ??? Sounds like another confused black woman to me.

30. JDub81

October 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Ok Raven….so you’re an American African-American!

31. DDUB

October 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm

So, when she fill out a application, survey or the census. Do she fill out American?

32. Ken

October 6, 2014 at 6:07 pm

What was the name of that Kool and The gang song again, “Misled!” I thought about that while reading this article. If I must call myself anything, I call my self a “Black Man” not African American. Since the birthplace of ALL man and woman kind is in Africa, my American white, yellow, red, and brown brothers and sisters would also have to call themselves “African Americans.”

33. phoenyx

October 6, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Every black person that makes 50.00 more than the next man ain’t black “no mo”. The only mf’s you hear disclaiming their heritage is the black folks. She sounds ridiculous as hell. Okay so what her ass is gay does that mean she ain’t a woman no mo. Get real you silly child.

34. Akbar

October 6, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I have never labeled a rapist but the society has ascribed this label to distinguish a behavior. Being Black was never based on a behavior but a common experience in America. African American is an attempt to honor those that came before us, an attempt. It also was the only way to get a capital letter at the beginning of our “people group” when listing all the other groups in this country like: Chinese, Korean, African, Jew, black? White people never saw themselves as a group but the “standard” by which all other would be measured. Recently it was found that when they thought that they would be the majority group they valued diversity. Another group of whites who were told that they would no longer be the majority group and what they thought about diversity 71% felt disinclined to embrace it now. What does one gain by being colorless? You gain no more intelligence, spirituality, brain cells, friends, love. Black is not a real color it is an experience by people with a similar human histories. We call Raven by her name not Raven the Black lesbian. She is an actor and singer those are labels too. I agree she is young and kind of overwhelmed with what “coming out” entails. When you have lived the Black Experience it makes sense that there will be casualties and those who want out. I went through that but I am so liking what being “Black” has done for me. being Black made me dig into my research about how humans can be inhuman to other humans. It made reevaluate our inclinations towards one religion while rejecting others. Colorless is like not being when you are. Its like committing suicide everyday and waking back up to the reality of humans and not being able to use what the Creator put in you to withstand the wiles of evil. When I played basketball I was proud to be called a basketball player. I boxed too. I like labels they remind me that I have things to do on this earth with what I have chosen to do. I boxed then they called me a boxer. If I kill will be a murderer. But I can turn my life around and still be the preacher who murdered his wife. (I did not do this its just a story!). It should cause us pause when one begins with a negation of conversations on race in America. Funny, my white student said they often felt like they were “just white” and wanted to have things that they did that were cool like having col handshakes like some of the brotha’s they know. No body seems to be happy with their covering.

35. DDUB

October 6, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Well said Bro. Akbar.

36. Larryj

October 6, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Do ravens fly? If so, she can fly away to “Gayland”, which isn’t far from Disneyland…..

37. James Roseau

October 6, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Though the concept of race is a just a social construct with no scientific basis, it has come to delineate our realities as human beings. Everything we do is uncompromisingly governed by the concept of race. While Caucasians, irrespective of their place of origin, as well as every other race, have accepted this reality, Blacks are still shamefully struggling to accept themselves as Blacks. We must understand that, as per documented history, we once ruled the world with great pride and dignity. The obstacles and shame that we have experienced since the slavery epoch do not define our being and self-worth. So, black brothers and sisters, stop living in an imagined and nonsensical reality!

38. Dennine

October 6, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Some people make me sick. Just worry about yourselves and you won’t have to think about someone who isn’t worrying about you!

39. TIMM DAWG

October 6, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Such a beautiful “BLACK””woman…Such a complete waste of beauty. Absolutely incredible how she is so confused about who she really is. I hate to say this because I love Raven. But she appears to be ashamed of being black. Raven make no mistake God knew exactly who He wanted you to be. YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMAN. Don’t deny that!!! As far as being a lesbian is concerned, as a man I have mixed feelings on that because I know it’s wrong but damn what a nice thought-as my cat Terrance Howard would say.

40. JACQUES

October 7, 2014 at 6:14 am

BLACKS WERE FIRST MAN FROM MOTHER AFRICA. We had great civilizations in Africa until Hannibal lost the war to the Romans. That was the downfall of our great Black civilization and the rise of the murdering, lying, stealing Europeans. ALL WORLD WARS HAS BEEN BY EUROPEANS!!! (portraying a perfect fraud)!!!) Now if the African was able to settle throughout the South Pacific, Australia and all along the western coast of India (untouchables they were given because of their blackness by Europeans) all the way into southeast Asia; that means we also first settle the Americas.! look at Africa and South America, the closeness of two. Africa is a lot closer to the Americas and were here before the Europeans! (now if what the scientist teaches of the continents were at one time joined) African and South America were at one all one land mass. Now if Africa is the home of the Black Man; why not South America. When the Portuguese came to Brazil (name given by the European); found Blacks in fortified cities along the coast and in the jungles that they had a very hard time conquering! What did Columbus call the people that lived in the west Indies..(little Black Indians)??? Don’t believe that the Europeans bought that many Blacks to populate from Canada to South America as slaves? Brazil is over 100 million people with 80-90% are Black or Black blood in their veins, not including Central America! Pyramids and large heads of people in Mexico with flat noses and thick lips? like the Sphinx who nose was broken off by the Romans to not look African; gauged out hieroglyphics and tried to smoke over some of paintings trying to destroy any connection too the great civilization Egypt and the Black Man.. FIRST CIVILIZE PEOPLE ON EARTH..!!..In school we were always taught that Egypt was in the middle east not part of AFRICA!!! European did not discover the Americas! How can something be discover when people lived for centuries? Africa had great civilizations while the European was still living in caves! This is a known fact despite what we have been taught in our school which does not teach true world history only European!!! If true world history was taught and included our history in school; Caucasians just maybe would have more respect for blacks as a people and we weren’t just slaves, dumb and nothing contributed as a people? Africa was nothing but just one big continent with uneducated uncivilized people! Now, today with all these deadly diseases coming out Africa is nothing but GERM WARFARE.. being tested on human beings and being told they are shots for smallpox or any diseases. Aids was develop right here in the USA by the New Jersey CDC..and EBOLA .. THEY HAD AN ANTIDOTE for the AIDS VIRUS till ti took all kinds of different avenues once in the human body. How strange with EBOLA VIRUS; once they bring the Americans home that have been infected and treat them once they home?? They up around in no time..??.. Africans have been living for 100 of centuries and all of sudden these diseases show in the 1980’s? Put your thinking caps and stop believing all what you are told by the people that want to keep us down and out..!!!.. Europeans give our blood to much power, when say a person with 1/8th of Black blood is Black… that means our blood is superior to theirs..YES I AM BLACK of mixed blood; however when you see me you see a Black person…!!!…

41. Larryj

October 7, 2014 at 9:02 am

One day many years ago in the jungle in South Vietnam, my platoon came under a sudden Viet Cong ambush known as an “horseshoe”. They caught us in the open and hit us with heavy fire from three sides. With no cover, we had to mount a frontal attack to survive. I remember our sergeant yelling, ” forward boys and kill everyone who do not look like an American! “. Now this sergeant was a white redneck from Arkansas and had already made it known, that he did not like ” Black soldiers, etc. I did not think about it then because of the situation of the moment. But looking back, was I, a young Black teenager from Harlem, the product of a welfare mother and fighting ” for my country in Viet Nam ” was I an American?

42. Tiamtte

October 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm

It’s her life, let her live it her way. It doesn’t matter to me what she chooses to call herself as long as she is happy within herself. I think people should stop blasting her and give her credit for having the courage to say what she feels.

43. Jessica

October 7, 2014 at 5:08 pm

If Raven were not African American, black, coloured, Negro, she would not have been cast on the Cosby Show, where she gained her famed. And if that did not occur, today we wouldn’t have to hear her twisted and idiotic pronouncements embracing perversion and rejecting the African Americans who have supported her throughout her career. Which is what her latest pronouncements are about – the promotion of her career and popularity, which have waned since she declared to the world that she intended to marry a woman.

44. india

October 7, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I’ll support Raven Symone on the topic of being African American my mother is black and white my father is black and Hispanic no one asked me if I wanted to be an African American I am just American did you take a vote did they ask you if you wanted to be labeled African American were you born here in the United States or were you born in Africa

45. godfather05

October 7, 2014 at 7:11 pm

This is kind of amazing, I don’t remember seeing Ms. Symone in any of the white family television shows.I wonder if Cosby had not had her on his show would she have been on another white family show being cast as a white family member? Just asking.

46. Tellana

October 7, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I agree with Raven. Africans were born in Africa, Europeans were born in Europe and Asians were born in Asia. I was born in America, therefore I am an American. I am Black so why not call me a Black American. Why let others label us, let’s label ourselves. That label of African American was given to us by the same people that labeled us Negroes and that negative label Nigger.

47. Jah Larry Dread

October 7, 2014 at 11:30 pm

We are Americans when it comes to war (usually on the front lines). When we win medals in the Olympics and other world-wide sporting competition our medals are counted in the American count not the African American count. This country was built off the backs of black people. We have been in this country before it was called the USA. Has anyone ever seen an African American passport? Can anyone find African America on a map? When will we learn the difference between race and nationality? When a white person ask me what is my nationality? My response is “I’m American what about you?” I don’t have to tell anyone that I am black. The gracious white people at the mall and the police when I drive through certain neighborhoods will discreetly and sometime blatantly remind me.

Prior to DNA most Americans of African descent do not know what part of Africa their family came from, their tribe, language or religion. It is really silly to want to be treated equal in nationality yet claim to be of a hyphenated nationality!

48. Jah Larry Dread

October 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Colorless? Really? The late great Maya Angelou, stated at the former Newark State College, “Who would want to live in a colorless society, all colors should be celebrated.” I am asking, who would want to look like the color of water?

49. Hiroader2

October 8, 2014 at 4:45 am

It’s people like Symone, Dr.Ben Carson, Herman Caine that. I to throw the current issue at… civil right violations, police abuse of power, the confederate flag,,voters rights just to see what side of the social mindset they stand on… Whether it’s denial or affiliation… Somewhere where along the lines they’ve managed to comment on the politically correct accepted answers/issues that doesn’t harm their celebrity

50. Hiroader2

October 8, 2014 at 5:30 am

I am a descendant of Africa, born in America therefore an African American… As a citizen in society I am not a walking hue of the color black.., My DNA, heritages back hundreds of years to an specific continent, an specific group people “hence” the reason why certain controlling groups are determined to subjugate,mix or taint the bloodlines of all other subgroup races while keeping theirs intact… To deny a heritage or bloodline is denying your existence in the past or future… It’s Biblical the way its written, It’s not “test tube” philosophy… With our single parent, unwed, same sex culture there is no heritage or bloodlines in their game… mutts?

51. jayo law

October 8, 2014 at 9:54 am

First she says that she does not want to be labeled as gay then she says that she wants to be labelled as a human who loves humans. then she said that she is tired of being labelled. Make up your mind raven. Is positive labelling more desired than negative labelling. they are both labels .Maybe she should be labelled confused.

52. Wayne

October 9, 2014 at 12:23 am

I dont have a problem with what Raven said in fact I agree with her in the context that it’s amazing how black people have allowed others to label them and provide their identity. It’s laughable to me when I see blacks running around referring to themselves as African Americans when 99% of them cannot and will never speak any African language fluently . Jesse Jackson , Bill Cosby and other phonies promoted this bullshit and white people saw it as another way to pacify blacks without giving them jack shit . The majority of you people who commented on this issue took the same perspective as the shuck and jive negroes from days past . Why dont you ask yourselves 1 question and that is do you see the europeans that invaded this land and killed everyone that they could not enslave referring to themselves as Euro , Irish , Dutch , Italian , Jewish, Migrant , Peasant, British or any other prefix of a so called american ? If you cant then fuck all of you clowns and the bullshit that your speaking .

53. Vincent Jackson

October 11, 2014 at 4:01 am

This is not only disrespectful to those that have given their lives for us but it’s insulting!.. As if being black is something you have to overcome or transcend!..Fuck you Raven symone!… And anybody else that disrespects our forefathers and thinks it’s ok!.