Latest posts

Mom Has No Regrets for Not Abοrting Severely Disabled Child

Unlike some mothers who learn only after giving birth that their newborn has a disability, Louis MathurinNina Mathurin, 41, learned of her son’s abnormality while he was still in the womb. At that moment, Nina made a choice not to have an abοrtion and says she doesn’t regret her decision.

Louis Mathurin, now two years old, has a rare disease called bone dysplasia syndrome, which left every bone in his body deformed.

Nina says after discovering her son’s illness, doctors offered her a medical abοrtion, but she declined. Even though her son’s ability to eat and move are severely restricted by his disease, Nina says she is happy she made the decision not to abοrt her child.

“When I first saw him I noticed his head was severely misshapen. My first reaction was that he looked like an alien,” said Nina.

“I felt instant love. I didn’t care in the slightest what he looked like – I just wanted him to be well. I felt a powerful sense of protectiveness from the very first moment,” she explained.

Ms. Mathurin was grateful for her child after finding she was unable to conceive due to an ectopic pregnancy in 1999. She conceived her son through IVF.

“I knew I wanted children so to be told I might not be able to was extremely upsetting.

“When I fell pregnant through IVF on my first try in 2011, I was over the moon.”

She then explained how she learned of her son’s condition.

“At the 20-week scan they found that his bones were a bit short. I was sent up to a foetal care unit, where they did more detailed tests.”

She continued: “They saw that he had a narrow chest, which triggered alarm bells. There was a definite air of concern.”

According to Ms. Mathurin, once her son was born, she felt a “powerful love” over him and knew it was her job to take care of him.

“He’s the happiest child you can imagine. He’s very affectionate and sociable, and brings a lot of joy to my life.”

1. Mary

August 22, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Hi Nina: You look happy and he looks happy. Children are blessings from GOD. You did the right thing!!! May you continue to be strong and be a blessing to others who may walk in your shoes.

2. Yvette Threat

August 22, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Love will sustain him. You looked beyond his disability and saw his need. God Bless you richly!!!

3. Kimberly

August 22, 2014 at 2:08 pm

For myself I dont think that this would have been a decision that I would have made.I would not want to bring a child into this world knowing he or she would suffer from severe deformities and not live a normal life…however this lady did what was right for her..she made the right decision for herself/

4. Barbara

August 22, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I wish her all the best with her son. Should she decide she wants another child, there are so many children waiting to be adopted. Gve them some love too; they are already here and in need of someone to care for them.

5. ericaf

August 22, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Prayers. I wish her all the best. I hope she has the support of the father. They usually run for the hills in situations like this

6. JD

August 22, 2014 at 5:30 pm

God bless you, Nina and Louis

7. Pernell Parham

August 22, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I agree with Kimberly, and would like to add that me being a man, I could never really understand what it’s like to give birth, but as the father, I wouldn’t want to bring a child into the world who destined for physical hardship their entire life. Especially if I knew well before hand. I understand that is her miracle child, and she loves him unconditionally, that poor baby is suffering in some capacity, every day.

8. Tanesha

August 22, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Dearest Nina, Your Love Is Mighty God Given Love… Words cannot describe my unaffected admiration of You. I have a special needs child who is now 18 years old and I thank God for her everyday. I just felt like I wasn’t alone when I read your story and completely Inspired. Love, Tanesha-

9. Cheryl

August 25, 2014 at 10:46 am

TRUE LOVE!

10. TESS

August 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I don’t know if I could do that 100% either but bless them both. I hope Loius isnt in physical pain. And who the hell is this Anastasia person with the nerve to judge or call anyone not normal or subhuman POS… sounds like they’re confused about who the subhuman POS is…

11. Regina

August 30, 2014 at 11:01 pm

A mothers’ love.

12. Regina

August 30, 2014 at 11:06 pm

My concern is what happens to the child if something happens to her?