HIV-Positive Couple has 3 Healthy Kids: Here’s how they did it

When two people are both infected with the HIV virus, most of us wouldn’t expect that couple to be able to bear healthy children. But medicine is not as simple as we think, and there are breakthroughs occurring every day.

Hubert and Jeanne Mwangaza are both HIV-positive and have been that way since they were married many years ago. According to The Huffington Post, the couple has also had three children, all of them free from HIV.

The couple’s commitment to one another is part of what has driven their health outcomes.   The couple’s closeness is characterized by the father’s involvement in his wife’s prenatal care to ensure that the virus was not transmitted from mother to child.

According to the article, research is showing that male involvement in the birthing of a child can be critical to the child’s health:

In a study conducted between 1999 and 2005, services that promoted male partner involvement in the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV reduced the risks of conveyance by 40 percent when compared to no involvement from male partners, as Aidsmap reported. The study noted that attentive, supportive fathers may be an untapped resource in HIV-transmission prevention in underserved regions of the world.

“Fathers, and supportive partners, cannot be underestimated in the effort to eliminate HIV transmission from mothers to their babies,” Dr. Chewe Luo, UNICEF Senior HIV and AIDS Advisor, said in a statement.

“I was afraid when I had my first daughter,” Hubert said in a statement. “But with her and my second born, I gained hope and became sure that if we continue following the advice we were given, it’s going to be OK and my child will be born HIV-free.”

To read more about this extraordinary case, please visit this link.

1. Mnyama

June 16, 2014 at 12:31 pm

So… all it takes is him being attentive?

• jfe

June 16, 2014 at 10:18 pm

At Mnyama…LOL!

2. Angie ECKFORD

June 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Beautiful. God bless you all. God is the true miracle worker. It’s great to hear about your supportive husband. That’s a true blessing in itself. God continue to bless this family. Much love.

3. SUGAR HILL, NEW YORK

June 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm

THIS IS A WONDERFUL STORY. GOD BLESS THIS FAMILY.

4. brodius

June 16, 2014 at 10:56 pm

That’s awesome , however stop making babies… it’s not cool

5. Devon

June 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm

If I had that nasty azz virus i wouldnt be f@ckin to even get pregnant, sheits nasty as f@ck.

6. blossom

June 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I agree, what are they doing to prvent transmission. Wh print the article without the most important part of the stor?

7. quesngbrd

June 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I do truely feel this is a blessing. I also feel the consiparcy thing may have something to do with it. How do we know that the doctors involved didn’t “cure” the children. There is a cure for hiv. The creator of it is not allowed into the unites states but how do we know he is not allowed in their location. Hiv is a virus that was brought to africa from europe. Africa is the most richest country ever. However the currency is not paper it’s diamond (tangiable wealth).To actively take over something, you can’t have anyone in your way. Can’t just kill em. Get them sick or lock them up… all races should watch the movie “hidden colors”. I strongly suggest my african americans to watch it!!!