News

State’s Attorney issues a Mother’s Day Message to “all the crack hoes out there”

If you’ve ever had doubts about the integrity of the State’s Attorney’s office in Florida, this article is not going to make you feel any better. A prosecutor in Florida is under fire for making one of the most racist Facebook posts from any legal professional in the last 30 years.

Kevin Lewis wished a Happy Mother’s Day to “all the crack hoes out there.” He then goes on to say “It’s never too late to tie your tubes, clean up your life and make a difference to someone out there that deserves a better life.”

Lewis has a history of hateful and racist remarks. He even wrote supportive messages about Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who once said that he doesn’t want black people coming to his games.

Here is what Lewis had to say about Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor.

“Reason enough why no country should ever engage in the practice of Affirmative Action again. ….Where would she be if she didn’t hit the quote lottery? Here’s a hint: ‘Would you like to supersize that sir?’”

Lewis is claiming that his message to “crack hoes” was one to inspire them to do the right thing and live a better life.

Orange-Osceola State Attorney Jeff Ashton said that Lewis’ comments were on his personal Facebook page, and had nothing to do with him doing his job.

“I have been made aware of certain statements attributed to Assistant State Attorney Kenneth Lewis on social media,” Ashton said in a statement, according to WFTV.

“I do not agree with the political sentiments expressed by him and I find some of the words he chose to be both offensive and dehumanizing. Political speech is protected by the first amendment of the United States Constitution and I do not police the private thoughts, views or expressions of those in my employ.”

This might help explain some of the strange results of the Florida criminal justice system.  If people like Lewis are able to decide the fates of black people, how much justice do you expect black people to receive anyway?

1. Ronald

May 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Teach Bro. Austin Williford!
    Jhanae, it is hard to believe anyone could be as naive and totally clueless as your post suggests. Check the vernacular he uses. He didn’t say crack whores, he said hoes. Who exactly do you think he was referring to? The article also said he had written supportive comments for Donald Sterling. Does that at least give you a hint about whether his statements have a racial nexus and context? Don’t look at the sun and say it could be the moon because they’re both round and in the sky. Good Lord!

• Jhanae

May 24, 2014 at 10:50 pm

So, hoes are only black? Gotcha. I guess if he would have said something negative about women who twerk then I would have to assume he only means black women, too, huh? But, wait–white women twerk, too. They can also do things that hoes do.
      I actually don’t think he was referring to anyone in particular; he probably thought he was being clever and funny, when he wasn’t. Lewis’ statements in regard to Sterling were about freedom of speech whether others agree or not; they were not about support of racism.

Lewis is also a critic of George W. Bush. What should I conclude about that?

• EO

May 28, 2014 at 8:08 am

Well said!

• EO

May 28, 2014 at 8:09 am

Well said!!!

• EO

May 28, 2014 at 8:10 am

my comments keep ending up in the wrong place! Sorry!!!

2. ambiance86

May 24, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Yes code words!!!
    Dont buy into this(Jhanae).
    My white associates are aware of these codes & have told me that’s what these bigotd do.Dont buy into these codes please!

• Jhanae

May 24, 2014 at 10:54 pm

What am I buying into? It seems like most of you are by reacting to negativity and foolishness in this manner. Once I think about it, I’m actually doing the same with all of you. Hmm….

• Star

May 25, 2014 at 1:02 am

Just do a little research. Learn your Black History, then you will understand, honey. I don’t expect you to know because you are young and you have not experienced true racism to identify with it. I’m sure you have, you just didn’t recognize it. Racism is hidden and you can’t see it, yet. But, I promise you that when you seek and do research, you will find. Subscribe to Black news subscriptions. Dr. Boyce and Dr. Eric Dison. Facebook or instagram. Talk to others about what really going on. We are being attacked and we must learn to protect ourselves.

• uhuruhouston

May 25, 2014 at 11:02 am

No, what you’re doing is casting doubt where there is none and highlighting your obvious ignorance of race issues. Your commentary had not one iota if intelligence but this is what happens when people like you are let loose on the internet. Read a Book, or listen to one , doesn’t matter but inform yourself on what many people on this thread is trying to tell you because you are coming off like a Ne’er do well that believes in fairy tales.

3. lyn

May 24, 2014 at 6:46 pm

There is not enough money for me to move ANYWHERE in the South. That plantation mentality, two sets of rules, two sets of laws and the total injustice that is happening everyday towards any person of color is what keeps me in the North. I’ll stay here and deal with the cold and snow before I would ever move to the South. And yes there is prejudice all over the country including the North but it just seems much worse in the South.

4. web

May 24, 2014 at 8:40 pm

One thing about the first amendment,you’re surprised about how people feel about you.

5. ciinnamon

May 24, 2014 at 10:14 pm

It funny to me that those you call crackhead hoes have sons that the snowbitches chase for thst purple crayon. Yep they chase our sons like they have some uncontrollable sexual addiction. Probally comes from daddy touching them at an early age. U have a problem with people of color then take it up with God.

6. maceo904

May 25, 2014 at 8:00 am

Jhanae, is a prime example of intergration not working. It has caused some of kids to have “Stockholm Syndrome”…They sympathize with their abusers.

• KAY

May 27, 2014 at 10:16 am

BOOM! PREACH!

7. uhuruhouston

May 25, 2014 at 11:12 am

@maceo904, Integration has never worked and has been a total failure. Assimilation was what THEY really wanted.

8. MAREEIYAH

May 25, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Jhanae..you said your mother feel the same as you..I can tell you are a type of child who don’t know when to take the cotton out of your ears and put in your mouth…. Learn to listen and listen to learn…A MIS-INFORMED MIS-EDUCATED WOMEN… BRINGS FORTH A MIS-INFORMED MIS-EDUCATED CHILD…. THAT DISCRIPTION FIT YOU AND YOU MOTHER JHANAE….Everyone here who has common sense know’s exactly who this STATE ATTORNEY was directing his comments to….I SEE COMMON SENSE AND CRYTICAL THINKING IS NO LONGER COMMON ANY MORE. THEIR ARE NUMBER OF WAYS TO BE MIS-EDUCATED I BET YOU THOUGHT I WAS SPEAKING ABOUT BOOK EDUCATION/SCHOOL JHANE…LMAO

• karen y

May 26, 2014 at 9:39 am

I couldnt have said it any better.! ! Some folk will never wake up and see that discrimination and hatred for any person of color still exist in this world. Believe me when i say that there are people working on a way to rid this world of blackd, hispanics,latinos and any other person of color..its called mass genocide !!

9. Toni

May 25, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Only a Tea Party or Republican would do something so hateful and stupid.

It reminds me of Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul.

10. Hiroader2

May 29, 2014 at 5:31 am

It’s not funny these comments and slurs just get blurted out AFTER these bigots acquire their official positions/stations… Now the media and social politics are trying to set a new president of “private (racial) content “.., Where colleges and employers can determine a persons eligibility through there social media uploads… Elected or appointed officials are trying to classify these racial discrepancies as “private “…. Here we have the U.S. govt monitoring the internet for terrorism but don’t classify racism of government officials…