News

Ninth Grader Says Dance Instructor Told Her to Get Rid of Dreadlocks

Natural hair is pretty common now but it’s still not as widely accepted as you might think. OneEryn ninth grader learned this the hard way when her hair got in the way of her dancing at the Alabama School of Fine Arts.

Dancer Eryn Cade told WBRC that her shoulder length dreadlocks got in the way of her dancing at the fine arts school.

“He was like, ‘Don’t come back to Alabama School of Fine Arts dance department with dreadlocks in your head,'” Eryn said.

She says that those words won’t destroy her dreams, but they did bother her.

“I’m not just going to let that tear me down like that, but it’s hυrtful,” she said.

A school administrator who spoke with WBRC said the school doesn’t have a policy banning dreadlocks, but that students must wear a bun. Eryn says it was her bun that got her in trouble with the instructor at the school.

The instructor said “that it was a distraction, it wasn’t slick and my bun was too big,” Eryn said.

Eryn says she’s doing everything right and just can’t understand why her hair is an issue.

“I’m getting “A”s in my specialty. I’m a pretty well-rounded student in my academics. Then you want to threaten me saying you can’t come to school because of my hair?” she asked.

Eryn’s mother Alexis Cade says her daughter was racially harassed by the school.

“She auditioned for this program in 2011. They accepted her with those dreadlocks in her hair. To me it feels like he’s picking directly on her, trying to make a public example of her and that’s not fair. It’s hurtful and it’s mean,” Alexis Cade said.

She doesn’t want the instructor to get in trouble and hasn’t named him, but she does want him to learn something from this.

1. Israeline yah

May 15, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Ida Malone Jackson bless your heart. Amen!

2. Loose Bruce

May 15, 2014 at 9:57 pm

This story doesn’t tell me his race, and we must stop calling them Dreadlocks. That is such a negative term. One’s hair is simply locked, just like Samsons. They should be called Locks. The oppressor was scared of this revolutionary look and termed it dreadlocks. Words are powerful!!! use them carefully.

• Alqamar

May 16, 2014 at 7:09 am

Thank you for saying this…Words carry energy!!!

• Jay Pharaoh

May 16, 2014 at 1:12 pm

..you’re correct.. whites called them dreadlocks becuz in white
      PPL’s eyes the slave’s hair was dreadful.. hint the term dreadlocks named by whites.. African kings and queens have always called them LOCKS.. there is nothing dreadful about locks.. Samson had them.. and a few other bible notables as well, the queen of Seba..also.. HAKKUR the hand maid to Sarah and Abraham.. and Ismael had locks too-Abraham’s first born with Hakkur the hand maid to Sarah-Abraham’s wife.

3. vee

May 15, 2014 at 11:42 pm

This is 2014 and since when is a bun hairstyle measured. She has an natural hairstyle that should not interfere with her dancing. Her hair should not be the topic of discussion. I have been wearing braids since 1977 and I was an educator. People starred but my hair was clean and it didn’t matter. I choose the various styles because I wanted to be different. There were not many woman wearing braids at that time. Now that it is 2014, there should not be any issues with these hairstyles.

4. Kimberly

May 16, 2014 at 12:04 am

What does this girls dancing abilities have anything to do with her hair???I didn’t get it…

5. John Dixon

May 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

THE GIRL SHOULD HAVE WORN THE TRENDY FASHION CLOTHING “INTELLIGENT DREADLOCKS” THIS WOULD GIVE IGNORANT PEOPLE A REALITY CHECK.

I AM 45 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE BEEN DREAD NOW FOR 8 YEARS. NOBODY DARE QUESTION MY LOCKS. I WORK A PROFESSIONAL JOB.

6. deloris

May 16, 2014 at 11:59 am

Small minds concentrate on small issues. HAIR
    And that person is a teacher. Not well exposed, people all over the world wear their hair different. That is a good thing. I would hate to look at someone who looked just like me 24/7.

7. TruthInYourFace

May 16, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I just feel sorry for anyone that lives in alabamer… The ignorance is rampant, yet people still choose to live there. Actually, I can’t believe it’s still on the map… wait – where are we? amerikkka… that’s right. Carry on amerikkkan idiots..carry on!

8. Herr. Arschloch

May 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm

This is God at work. Peace,love,joy,& happiness.

9. AnthonyCip

April 5, 2020 at 2:26 pm

Hi, here on the forum guys advised a cool Dating site, be sure to register – you will not REGRET it https://bit.ly/2UHfpsw