News

Founder of ‘For Brown Girls’ Passes Away at Age 22 of Apparent Su¡cide

By  |

The 22 year old who founded For Brown Girls as a way of celebrating black women has passed away at ageforbrowngirls 22 of an apparent sυicide.

Karyn Washington founded For Brown Girls, then launched her #DarkSkinRedLip initiative after rapper A$ap Rocky cautioned dark skinned girls against wearing red lipstick.  The mission of both endeavors was to encourage darker skinned women to celebrate their beauty.

She described how she came to create FBG:

When the blog was initially created, my cousin and I were dealing with self-esteem issues relating to our complexion and we would vent to each other. Through talking it out and building each other up, we felt better but also didn’t like the fact that we were even having these feelings to begin with. We also realized that other girls may be going through the same thing and wanted to use Tumblr as a means to vent, encourage others and overcome. Since then, I have gained a greater passion for the cause and helping others.

Although no one has spoken of the factors which contributed to Washington taking her own life, a friend posted a message which alluded to the fact that Washington had been struggling:

When I look at you I see a reflection of myself and most certainly that is why this hurts so badly. From now on I’ll forever remember your big beautiful smile, your charm, ambition, professionalism, entrepreneurship, confidence, humility, your drive, and your beautiful Brown Skin. That is what I’ll choose to remember… because to be honest, I’m a bit angry with you. Indeed I’m being selfish, but my heart is devastated- yet, because I know a tad bit about what you were going through I can understand. I’m guilt tripping because I wish I could’ve been there for you a little bit more. I’m so sorry, but I can’t help but to think that with just a little bit more time or a little less distance, proximity would’ve allowed me to make, maybe the slightest difference…. Forgive me!

We can be thankful that Washington made a difference while she was here. Our hearts go out to her family and loved ones.

According to Madam Noire, Karyn’s struggle with self-esteem issues is what led to the creation of her blog.  She was quoted as stating the following during an interview:

When the blog was initially created, my cousin and I were dealing with self-esteem issues relating to our complexion and we would vent to each other.  Through talking it out and building each other up, we felt better but also didn’t like the fact that we were even having these feelings to begin with. We also realized that other girls may be going through the same thing and wanted to use Tumblr as a means to vent, encourage others and overcome. Since then, I have gained a greater passion for the cause and helping others.

Soledad O’Brien recently produced a segment on CNN about black women and depression.  The conversation is interesting and speaks of how many women of color suffer in silence.  Being the backbones of many families, black women are often the last to speak of their own suffering, and also train their daughters to suffer in silence as well.

Here is Soledad speaking with Terrie Williams, author of “Black Pain” on the matter:

[leadplayer_vid id=”53497A01742D4″]

The story has gotten the attention of those who feel that the African American community can often become fixated on skin color as a way of measuring a woman’s beauty.  Although no one knows if these self-esteem issues directly contributed to Washington’s passing, it is clear that they didn’t make her life better.

“As a father of dark-skinned girls, this story touched my heart to the core,” said Dr Boyce Watkins.  “It is a wakeup call on two levels:  One, that depression is real in our community and must be treated, and two, that colorism must come to an end.”

Dr Watkins, who also wrote “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about College,” says that this story sends a message to young people and parents about keeping troubling matters in perspective.

“I wish I could have helped this young lady understand that 22 is too young to leave this earth, since there are so many things ahead of you,” he said.  “Parents should look for signs of depression in their children, but young people must never forget that tomorrow opens the door for a brighter day.  Never shut that door too early.”

Dr Watkins was nice enough to do a short video addressing black women, depression and other factors that young people deal with.  The video is here:

What's Your Thoughts

Loading Facebook Comments ...

1. Tiamtte

April 11, 2014 at 1:00 pm

You never know what lies behind a beautiful smile. Obviously crying on the inside. A terrible waste of a potentially beautiful life.

2. khali

April 11, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I think she was murdered and made to look like a suicide. This is tragedy and you SISTAS better get a CLUE!!! Get your your F.U.C.KING heads out of the clouds. YOU AND YOUR DAUGHTERS ARE BEING ASSASSINATED. IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME RESEARCH THE EVIDENCE, DON’T LET NOTHING STOP YOU FROM INVESTIGATING BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT THEY DO!!

• Paul H

April 11, 2014 at 1:09 pm

brother, is it really just up to the sisters to get a clue? What are we as black men going to do? when will we start protecting our women and children instead of telling them to wake up while we stand there pointing fingers of blame?

Black men haven’t been able to protect ourselves from this system, why in the world would we put that burden on the sisters to carry alone?

We have to be the force that protects them and ourselves, that’s the best way we can regain the manhood that was stolen from us.

• Patti

April 11, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Paul, I agree with you whole-heartedly. Thank you, Paul, for standing up and being a real Black man!

• Angela

April 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Thank you Paul for understanding what some women go through

• Mela

April 11, 2014 at 4:48 pm

“So, the question is, what are we going to do as men if our women and girls are being assassinated?”

Brother, ‘our’ men aren’t going to do a darn thing. Some of them hate black women so much until they are glad to see us go. It’s sick and sad. I have completely written them off and as far as I’m concerned, they’re no better than those pale-skinned creatures they love so much.

• Tre X

April 12, 2014 at 7:36 am

No the question is what are we as men and women going to do about our children.

• MekaB

April 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Tre X

I soo agree. I have all boys but when I see little girls, young ladies, and even grown women I always make sure to comment positively. Every one should hear they are beautiful from birth. Ppl always forget out youth and are quick to attack things that could have been stopped during youth.

• Anrakin

April 13, 2014 at 9:26 pm

What did Bruce say in the ‘BatMan Begins’…’man…a flesh and blood human is corruptible, susceptible to death….but, a symbol can be…incorruptible, stainless, indefatiguable, immortal…..no man or woman can stand up to the system and come away untransformed or corrupted – no man…

• ahicks30408@aol.com

April 12, 2014 at 12:19 am

Mr Paul H,

WOW…Thank You!!

I NEVER respond to threads… However, couldn’t resist reaching out to you simply to say that I thoroughly enjoyed your comments here. You are truly a WONDERFUL representation of what our strong Black, Intelligent Men should be. Thank you for caring!!

• Robynn

April 12, 2014 at 2:48 am

Thank you Mr Paul.
        From a dark-skinned Black woman

• Shannon

April 12, 2014 at 10:12 am

Thank you Paul for your thought and concern! This comment has lifted me a little after reading this story and some of the mindless comments that followed!
        But deep inside, I know we as a race or too far gone, too far removed from the struggles our ancestors once faced together as pure africans to understand or accept the meaning of your statement! Putting blame on others and lacking the ablitiy to take responsiblity for our actions have been the way we were raised and the way we have coped for years! unfountanley, both black men and black women still have much to learn before we can even correct this issue at hand!

Once again, thank-you for your thought and stay bless and highly favored!

• Bonqueesha

April 12, 2014 at 11:37 am

Same thing as always…get with a white woman.

• MALIKI

April 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

As if black women don’t get with men of other races , but without all the drama and baggage from past relationships.
          At one point and time black women’s battle cry was,

“I should get me a white man because he got money.” So lets not get it twisted.

I don’t care what kind of crime a non black person commits or acts negatively, will you hear or see women of their race say they want to marry or be in a relationship with someone of another race, because men in their race have negative behavior. I wonder why???

Having worked in prison all of my adult life I know that crimes and negative behavior is committed by all races, not just by black men.

• Tin Marie Clark

April 12, 2014 at 2:25 pm

” A Black Man ”
        He knows better times are coming
        even if they’re no where in sight
        how can he win the battle, he needs
        something in which to fight
        Let him enjoy his freedom, take away
        those invisible chains, when will
        happiness replace worry? which
        invades his brain
        When he’s mistreated he’s asked
        to understand, well mountains
        aren’t molehills, pleasure isn’t pain
        he’s truly a special person, I’ve witnessed
        his traits time and time again, who you
        ask is this hero? he’s “A Black Man”

Poet: “Tina Marie” Clark
        Copyright@1989

• Vonn

April 11, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I was thinking the same thing!

• aleximaq

April 11, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I’m inclined to believe with you….there is wayyy to much more to this story than we are being told about…the color of this young woman’s skin had nothing to do with her “suicide”…homicide, maybe…but did not end her own life because she is of dark skin….

• TEWDROWOS

April 11, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I really sort of agree with you ,and this type of thing has been happening for a while.

3. Paul H

April 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm

as a black man I am saddened by the suicide of this beautiful black woman and how we, as black men, have contributed to the pain of dark-skinned females by praising women just because they are light-skinned.

I hope her death will make more black people take a stand against mistreating or praising each other based on the light or darkness and skin and the length and texture of hair

This is something we can stop, we can stop passing along the lie given us by our slave-owners, that light is good and dark is bad. We have the power to change the dynamic that made this beautiful young woman take her own life in despair.

Let’s stop the madness, people.

• Cindie

April 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm

You are a beautiful brother, Paul.

• Renee Dakari

April 11, 2014 at 2:01 pm

To my brother Paul what can I say you spoke direct. It is no longer the white men and women it is we of african descent that is causing the pain to one another. May her family be comforted and may she rest in God’s hand. Yes’, I said God. He knows something about this young beautiful woman that we do not.

• Shane

April 11, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Thank you, Paul. ((((HUG&KISS))))

• Kmad

April 11, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I’m so glad to hear a real brother speak up on our behalf, I pray one day black men will respect us the we should be respected, put us on a pedestal like white women so long have been placed, realizing that back then we held our men high even though they were treated like animals, boys, buffoons, WE as black women stood by their sides often being treated and beat the sane as them. And for all we’ve gone through, to see black men call black women ESPECIALLY dark skin sisters filthy names and grovel in the presence of light skin and white women is simply pathetic. If there were more black men like you, we all would be a force to be reckoned with! Our power to grow, unite and overcome has always been inside of us, we unfortunately have more fools and weak brothers and sisters than we have intelligent, proud strong ones. Things have to change, we can’t be this ignorant. God rest this young sister’s soul.

• aleximaq

April 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Unfortunately, I believe her death will go un noticed in main stream media…we are going to have to what we did for our son Trayvon Martin and demand that something happens…..This is just so sad….God bless the family and give them the peace that passes all understanding.

4. Barbara

April 11, 2014 at 1:10 pm

This is such a sad story. May she rest in peace.

Our daughters will not understand their true beauty unless we as parents tell them. The society we live in negates their beauty on a daily basis, and we must be their bulwark of support.

5. angela

April 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Her heart was heavy. This is not the time for us to pass judgement nor assume her reasons which led to the loss her family and friends are experiencing. Just my thoughts…

6. Reberita McGee-Fitz

April 11, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I personally, do not believe that she took her own life…but the again I do not believe that Marilyn Monroe didi either!!!!!

7. Reberita McGee-Fitz

April 11, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I meant to say “Then” rather than “the”

8. Hanifah

April 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This is heartbreaking to read..young woman who took her own life, for reasons we may NEVER understand. Heartbreaking to read that there is so much information, resources, networks online and through various social networks, she did not see any way out but to take herself out. Heartbreaking and heartwrenching that this beautiful, articulate, funny, inspirational PRETTY BROWN GIRL lost her faith and lost her way. Prayers for her family and friends. RIP Karyn Washington…there HAS got to be a lesson to be got/had/learned in this extreme tragedy.

9. Lee

April 11, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I heard her death was due to complications of Lupus

• Andrea

April 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Where did you hear that? Because I heard the same thing!

• Rhea

April 11, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Unfortunately that was another young lady that also died. And she’s the one that died from lupus. Her name was longhairdontcare2011

10. Tiamtte

April 11, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I don’t believe her death was based on the light/dark skinned argument and not being able to cope with it. That is too easy. She obviously had problems that were far deeper than that.

Black people need to address the subject of mental illness which is a big issue in the community and the cause of many deaths, murder and suicide. This is a huge taboo that we face and it is constantly swept under the rug and attention is focused on other things.

Suicide is a painful blow to those left behind and tears people apart because we love these people and just don’t know what is happening. We blame ourselves for not knowing what is often not being shown to us. Many very successful people have suddenly killed themselves recently and left everyone baffled. Friends and family feel like we should have seen something or guessed that something was wrong when there was no evidence.

This is not at all about skin color and should not be the focus of this article. Let’s stop the madness by trying to find ways to heal broken souls, both the potential victims and those left behind.

• Amazing Grace

April 11, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Well said. Mental illness far too often goes un dealt with by The African American Family Structure. We tend to look the other way when a family member is in crisis mode from mental illness. We are to quick to blame the member having a mental breakdown. And as a result, that family member suffers alone. Or maybe in this lady’s case, committed suicide. Very heartbreaking and sad.

11. Lisa

April 11, 2014 at 1:48 pm

It’s always sad when someone dies young. She truly was beautiful inside and out. Unfortunately no one will ever truly understand what she was going through. It’s easy to smile and hide your pain when you get use to it. Most of the time for people who are depressed, they surpress their pain because either those close to them aren’t understanding or knowledgeable enough to deal with what’s going on with them. Holding on to that pain leads to shame and embarrassment.

12. Lilian Okosi

April 11, 2014 at 1:50 pm

My Heart goes to her family,to be frank I think they should investigate the cause of her death.

13. Larryj

April 11, 2014 at 1:52 pm

This seem so unbelievable and sad. This young beautiful Black African Woman, with so much to live for and give,took her own life because, in part, she had issues with her racial physical truststraits…! All Black people should know, that we are the first human beings and the original generators of Civilization. And that all mankind evolved from us…! Our physical trait is the image of God…..I love you my beautiful sister and I am sadden by your untimely death……

14. Alesia

April 11, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I had a family member suicide and she had written letters to the family before doing it so I feel for her suicide. I personally feel like Karyn had good intentions to help others but in her own life she felt alone. Karyn was a role model to others but had problems within feeling alone and helpless. Karyn was not able to take this self depression and issues she had hidden from others within any longer and feeling hopeless she chose to end her self suffering.

15. Ann G.

April 11, 2014 at 2:09 pm

This is so sad, takes me back to a guy that I went to school with, had a beer with, laughed and cried with, we grew up in the same neighborhood and became the best of friends, we did not date, just got together to talk late into the evenings in the summer on my porch, he talked about his girlfriend and I talked about my boyfriend. Went out on a date one Friday evening with my boyfriend only to return home with the police & first aid squad on my street, my friend who kept me laughing about something all the time had blown his brains out, this was back in the sixties and today I still wonder what I missed, was there something I could have done, why could I not understand that there was a frown masquerading as a smile. I am 65 and I still miss that guy that I grew up with. Although I know there was nothing I could have done, for years I wondered had I stayed home instead of going out on a date, could I have prevented it. Then I had to accept the fact as I matured, whatever happened did not just occur that night and had he wanted me to know, he would have talked to me about it. Another young person gone too soon, blessings to her family and friends.

• Tiamtte

April 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Ann, such a sad story and I truly feel badly for your loss. We never forget no matter how much time passes.

• Amazing Grace

April 11, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Ann, don’t feel that way. I too had two dear friends that committed suicide, one blew his brains out, and the other took pills. I had to let that feeling of, could I, or should I had said something different maybe they’d still be alive. Their immediate family members saw the writing on the wall, but didn’t want to believe mental illness was the culprit.

16. Dr. Donnamaria Culbreth

April 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Ms. Washington just lost her mother in October of last year and it was a very difficult time. More than ever, she was proud of the color of her skin and proud to step up and be a part of the change needed to help eradicate colorism. She was a trailblazer among many addressing the insidious colorism issues we see within our community.

On behalf of the Intraracial Colorism Project, Inc. and myself, our condolences to her family.

Dr. Donnamaria Culbreth
    Founder,
    The Intraracial Colorism Project, Inc.

17. Susan

April 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm

The facts are not clear… I am really sick and tired of reading articles
    on this blog that give us half stories. Where is the proof? How did she
    take her life? Such 1st grade reporting. I will look for further in-dept
    analysis elsewhere on line. Shameful, no more “half donkey” stories.
    Information is key and you are providing opinions not facts and supporting data.

18. Jessica

April 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Look at that sweet, charming face; so eager to see herself equal to, and as valuable as other girls with lighter color skin and straighter hair. She and others like her try to drown out the devastating debasement, dark skin black girls are subjected to within our own culture. Not all black men participate; but far too with high profiles project misogynistic attitudes towards black girls and women.

She had to hear the words that come out of the mouthes of black boys and black men in her neighborhood, on rap records, and out of the mouthes of black comedians, that those other girls never hear: “You too dark to be pretty; or “You’re good looking for a dark girl.”; “I don’t want no nappy-head _______ (you fill in the blank b__ch, hoochie momma,h__. “I don’t want no dark skin nappy-head kids.”

Then there’s the reality that all black girls in America have to face; if you’re dark, accomplished black men are more than likely not interested in marrying you you. There is a spoken out loud rule among successful black men that they must join the “any other woman, but a black woman club.” The list of black men that belong to this open club, that flaunts it’s rejection of black women unabashedly, is so long that dark skinned black girls cannot avoid being pointedly aware of how they are devalued by so many influential black men. These attitudes are so commonly voiced by black men, that the white world takes black male preference for white women as a given state of affairs. Look at this reality that black girls and women have to face daily. See life through the eyes of little black girls. This kind of across the board black male self-loathing that leads them to abandon their cultural women, has not happened to any other group of women. LOOK AT THIS PICTURE GALLERY; NOW THINK HOW THIS COLLECTIVE WILL AFFECT THE ASPIRATIONS OF LITTLE BLACK BOYS AND THEIR TREATMENT OF LITTLE BLACK GIRLS. http://www.afieldnegro.com/photos.html

• UmmHmm

April 11, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I hear you, but… The percentage of Black men with white women and interracial relationships in general is much, much smaller than the media blows it up to be. Think about it, many of these celebs/athletes you never even heard of until they got with a white women then all of a sudden flashing lights.. This is not a coincidence. Truth be told, all my dark/brown skinned female friends and family members are married with families to BLACK MEN. And they have been so for years.. The media’s job is to tear apart the black family and keep it from achieving greatness. They do this by perpetuating stereotypes into the homes of millions both here and abroad…Why is it that you never seen any athletes celebs with black wives in the spotlight out and about (Denzel, Sam Jackson, Donovan McNabb, etc. etc.)..I’ve worn my hair natural and I’m chocolate and gotten the attention of athletes.. Don’t believe the Hype like PE said..

• Jessica

April 12, 2014 at 4:38 am

Did you look at the gallery of pictures? They overwhelm the number of black men celebrities married to black women. And even those black actors married to black women are censored from making love to, or even being associated with a black woman on-screen.

You forget, there has been a color caste system practiced by black men since slavery. Frederick Douglas allegedly fought for the freedom of black people, yet when given the opportunity, despite all he had seen black women endure,he married a white woman.

Black male language is structured on color preference “Good hair”, “redbone”, “high-yellow”, etc.

Before so-called integration, the preferred black women and class separation in black America was/still based on light skin. Light skin black people use to hold “brown bag parties.” There was a brown paper bag tape on the door. If your hand was darker than the color of the bag, you were not admitted. In the black college system, dark skin black girls were not even allowed to compete to be homecoming queens, or hold high profile positions on campus. The history of black sororities was even color based; the AKA’s were the light skin girls, and The Deltas were darker skin girls.

Our cultural history is replete with this engrained devaluation of the image of dark skin black women. Please do not dismiss black girl’s pain and sense of rejection. Can’t you see that black women are breaking down due to the cumulative ravages of centuries of mistreatment from outside and from within our culture. It is time for all of us, but particularly culturally oriented black men to face this issue, and to publically stand against these color codes that have been passed on generation to generation.

• Kiel

April 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I would advise you to do some research because the majority of black men marry black women. Here is a quote

83 percent of married black men who earned at least $100,000 annually got hitched to black women. The same is the case for educated black men of all incomes. Eighty-five percent of black male college graduates married black women. Generally, 88 percent of married black men (no matter their income or educational background) have black wives. This means that interracial marriage should not be held responsible for the singleness of black women.”(http://racerelations.about.com/od/diversitymatters/a/Four-Myths-About-Black-Marriage.htm)

It is to bad that you accept the medias version of reality,. The media always highlights black men/white women couples ads it that is the predominant interracial dynamic in usa. BUt actually the most predominant interracial couple in the USA are white male/ and Asia females. The media never shows yu white male with Asian females but that is the predominant interracial couple in america. That is why when I was getting my phd they would not let us use newspapers and magazines as credible resources.

Asian females marry outside their race more than any other women even Taking this as an opportunuty to bash black men over her suicide is a low blow ans shows a lack of character and totally unproven. My mother was technically the valedictorian of her class but black females voted for a light skin lady who had a lower gpa than my mother be the valedictorian. I met the lady and she admitted to me that my mother had a higher gpa and she was the valedictorian because of her skin color.
          It is hypocritical to say Frederick Douglas chose a white women when according to ancestry .com 75% of black Americans(in 2014) are 1/5 white. That meas it was million of black women mating with white men behind closed doors. Frederick Douglas’ mother apparently was one of them since his father was white! His white father put him in slavery with all he other blacks even though he was technically half white. Why hold Frederick responsible for marrying w white women when he had a white father and his mother birthed him with a white man? The reason that only less than 10@ of whites have black blood compared to 75% of black who have white blood that means it was millions of more black female.white male couples than black male/white female couples. If not there would many more whites with black blood in them?

• Barbara

April 15, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Your post is accurate, except for the “Slavery” part. You are implying Black women and girls willingly slept with their Slave Master Owners. Being a Slave and having free will is an oxymoron. Slave Masters pedophiles took sexual advantage of little Black boys/teens too. Were they responsible for too?

Slaves were “bred” the same as livestock. You couldn’t leave the Plantation to go on dates with other Black Slaves.

• Anrakin

April 13, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Good points UmmHmm

• Maria Alleyne

April 11, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Paul I applaud you as a proud black brother, for standing up and praising the sisters but the sisters have to first love themselves. There’s nothing you can do for a sister, if she’s not doing anything but feeling sorry for herself. I am a beautiful proud black woman, and there is nothing that you or anyone else can say or do that makes a difference to me because I LOVE me.

19. SUGAR HILL, NEW YORK

April 11, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I AM OLD ENOUGH TO BE THIS YOUNG LADY’S FATHER. I FELT LIKE I LOST A DAUGHTER FOR THE ‘MOVEMENT’. I HAVE NEVER MEANT YOUNG ‘KARYN’, AND SHE SOUNDS LIKE A LOVING PERSON WHO WAS OVERWHELMED ABOUT THIS THING CALLED ‘LIFE’. I FEEL FOR HER FAMILY, FRIENDS AND PERSONS IN HER ORGANIZATION. I’MA SAYS THIS TO YOU YOUNG PEOPLE OUT THERE. IF YOU EVER FEEL THE NEED NOT TO BE HERE ANYMORE…..STOP WHERE YOU ARE……I BEG YOU…..BEGIN TO PRAY. THEN FIND SOMEONE TO TALK TO. DON’T DESTROY YOURSELVES. I BEG YOU…..I BEG ALL OF YOU.

20. John Dixon

April 11, 2014 at 3:48 pm

This is very sad, I am 45 yrs old and I am a fair skinned man and I married a very dark skinned woman with DREADLOCKS! We have a son that came out very light skinned! This poor girl could have been saved. Breaks my heart!

21. Tiamtte

April 11, 2014 at 4:29 pm

What I am finding most amazing here is that 90% of the comments are about skin color. She didn’t have a problem with her skin color, but clearly a lot of the commenters do. And yes I am a light skinned black woman and has heard enough of this garbage. It will only cease to be important when we let it go.

By the way, light skinned people don’t tease dark skinned people about their color. I know that for a fact, it happened to me all the time at school and never the other way around. Dark skinned (women especially) make stupid comments all the time about skin color and hair, even at work. They do it in front of white co-workers who don’t understand it and even ask about it. I haven’t figured out how to explain it to them because I don’t get it either.

• Jelela

April 11, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Tiamtte, I find your comment quite disgusting. Just because that’s what you experienced from your end, does not mean that it applies to everyone. Dark skinned girls were teased and light skinned girls were teased. However, normally, when light girls are teased, it is often out of jealousy as lighter skin has always been the beauty standard. Please cease your ignorance.

However, I do agree that people need to stop assuming this was due to her skin color. She had actually shown to learn to love her skin color. Suicide is way bigger than a shade of skin.

• UmmHmm

April 11, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Yes there is ignorance in all complexions. Everyone has a different experience. I’ve never had a problem with light skinned people and I’m a brown/dark skinned woman. I’ve always been proud to be dark because my mother taught me to be. Not sure why this article makes it appear as though dark skin made her kill herself…More BS..

22. Mela

April 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm

May she rest in peace, because it is clear that this society never allowed her to live in peace. Furthermore, if she had been dark-skinned and fat most of you wouldn’t pretend to be so sad over her death, because you wouldn’t be. Quit playing and be real.

23. Eric Matteson

April 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm

It is a real tragedy that a beautiful intelligent creative woman took her own life at such a young age. Life can be an unhappy place and I really hope that skin color issues had nothing to do with this; it’s silly and senseless. It makes us look as ignorant as White racists.

24. Keepingitreal

April 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Sad and shocking to hear. Parents tell your daughter she is beautiful because the world, the flesh, and the devil desire to chew her up and spit her out. Take your daughters to Church and read them the Bible so they can know the truth!!!!

25. uigem

April 11, 2014 at 6:19 pm

What a SAD news, hope her family is OK in this difficult time.
    But let NOT her work go to waist, BLACK women wake up and be more Natural and might has you were MADE to be. LOVE you.

26. Otaylor

April 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm

This is a very sad story, and a very true circumstance/situation among the Black race, including denial. But in honor of this Sister’s efforts (as we know not the reasons for her suicide), let’s lighten up the FUTURE FOREVER and return to James Brown’s words and repeat: “SAY It LOUD – I AM BLACK AND I AM PROUD”!! Eternal Peace.

27. Nfrtm

April 11, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Anytime someone making a difference for us dies, I always suspect foul play….automatically. History directs me to do so. The assault on the Alkebulan Mother image as beautiful is designed to eliminate us genetically. Assaulting a woman’s beauty is a heavy weight to bear. Dark skin women can’t wear red lipstick. 40 years ago there was a taboo on male Alkebulans wearing red. I remember it well. In the end we need land in the U.S. that is politically separate from the U.S., something like, so-called, Indian reservations. We patrol, we are the courts, we design the penal institutions, the education system, the health system, the legal system. It is a matter of survival.
    If Alkebulan men would stop promoting pale face hair genes as “beautiful ” our healing would accelerate. But our healing from the ” beautiful ” pale hair gene is happening anyway. Karyn Washington’s spirit of defiance and creativity should be put her name on you list on your alter and visit and celebrate her periodically. Hold her name high. Never forget her. She had impact. She is our ancestor now. Talk to her. Don’t let her effort die in vain. Karyn Washington – Dark Skin Red Lipstick

• Deco

April 11, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I’m looking at a lot do many replies. Yes she was beautiful black woman and sorry to hear of her death. The majority of all black people minds men and women are conditioned back from slavery. We as blacks men and women put each other down til we don’t even want to deal with each other no matter what the skin tone is. Until we start uplifting each other we will always have problems as a race. Black women get many high pay in jobs and look down on the black man. I love my black race. We have to get away from all lies that has been embedded into our brain. Black people wake up and let’s take care each other and stop passing blame. If we all came together we would be force that’s unstoppable. But at this time we are the weakest link.

28. UmmHmm

April 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm

This is a tragedy and I suspect foul play as well like many of you.. And no Black woman should listen to ASAP Rocky (who is known for wearing skirts and feminizing the black male image) or any other mainstream rappers right now far as I’m concerned because they are working for the enemy/part of the agenda. Any rapper who has something to offer the community will get their characters assassinated or be killed and ran out the game point blank (see Lauryn, Tupac, etc. etc.). Support rap that actually talks about something and / or tries to uplift..

29. Corbin

April 11, 2014 at 11:08 pm

An “advocate” for dark skinned women??? Geeez.

30. msmariette

April 11, 2014 at 11:53 pm

May I add that most other nationalities are also burdened from the same disease…Look at the Hindus (Asians), Mongolian, Filipinos, Mexicanos, and many, many others cultures and races….I break bread with a lot of them in their own home, and trust me on this one folks, THEY suffer from the same thing! Light-skinned vs. darker skinned in their race…The Arabs even have the same disease to choose the lighter skinned females with light eyes over the olive skinned, almond eye females in EVERY single race! It’s sad. It Is NOT just us African Americans! Check it out! The family will charge more to a man for their daughter hand in marriage if she is lighter and damn near white! Ya’ll better start researching and asking somebody! Do you know the dark skinned Arabs and Asian that may be Hindu are are waaaaay darker and blacker than us check off that they are WHITE race on applications? Well they do…! I have eye-witnessed this many times taking loan applications for over 20 years. Even some Mexican American folks do it too! That’s one of the reasons WHY the stats appear to have the White race as the majority – when in deed they are not!

When you become a role model to your community to possibly give folks hope and strength, be very, very careful to not be a statistic to a “suicide” okay….Bull-schitt!

31. Kimberly

April 12, 2014 at 12:52 am

As a African American woman who looks white I can totally relate to this girl.I often have gone through depression.While my sisters are criticizing and putting themselves down for their beautiful brown or dark skin I was often asking myself why in the heck did I come out this way?I can feel this girls pain and my heart feels very sad.I wish that she would have looked in the mirror and been proud of who she was.It is sad that she didn’t see that.My gut is telling me that a lot more is going on.Depression hits our community hard.People are just trying to hold it together.Happy seems like a far distant memory sometimes but you godda make your own happiness.You godda look in he mirror and realize that there is only 1 U! That is where the uniqueness and beauty lies whether you are dark skinned…light skinned caramel or whatever..THERE IS ONLY 1 U!Embrace that and love it!

32. Wil May

April 12, 2014 at 1:35 am

Black is beautiful!

33. Cheryl Dalton

April 12, 2014 at 7:21 am

It pains me, that we still have to address the issues of skin tone in this day and time, and it’s relevance to our beauty and self worth. Outrageous! For the record, it’s not just dark skinned Black women who are teased and ridiculed. As a “light skinned” woman, I have been called “high yellow” “yellow red” “redbone” and all of that nonsense. Slave mentality. Field Negro/House Negro Syndrome!! It needs to stop! The madness needs to stop!….My prayers and condolences go out to this young lady’s family. She was so beautiful!…God Rest Her Soul.

34. David

April 12, 2014 at 8:15 am

♍ϔ heart goes out τ̅☺ the family… black is beautiful,dat black skin stands d test of tym evn in tough tyms,I don’t knw y I av τ̅☺ look down on ♍ϔ colour…remove slave mentality nd watch us grow..

35. Pamela Bartee

April 12, 2014 at 10:14 am

I truly believe.the pain that some experience as a dark skinned individual is soooooo real and is enough to instill hopelessness and unworthiness. I don’t know why, but just lately, I have had to coach several people to understand the source of why they don’t value their life enough to.simply care for.their health. Most site being beaten down all their childhood about being dark.and.therefore.ugly. Alot of people are embarrassed by this, especially.in 2014, but it is still true. I just had a AA mother who.came to.me saddened that both her young sons told her that they would NEVER date or.marry a black women. I say…she probably sent some subliminal messages out through out their childhood that said…black people are ugly.bad people. WE ARE PASSING THESE MESSAGES OUT SUBCONSCIOUSLY TO.THE NEXT GENERATION by constantly attempting to be accepted by those who.look nothing like us. We should check.ourselves…really check ourselves.

36. AMOSS

April 12, 2014 at 10:24 am

I thought this was a BEAUTIFUL poem written by my niece for dark-skin women and I just wanted to share:

“I refuse to be convinced that dark skinned girls are looked down upon. You can not begin to understand how much the “sun” truly loves us….loves us so much that a warm kiss was planted on ME…. US…..WE are your favorite candy in the box. We are the infinite, pitch, black skies that hold the stars during the night. We are the dark, rich soil that allows your plants to flourish. We are the succulent blackberries that you adore in your grandma pies. We are the delicately roasted coffee beans that get your early mornings started right… We ARE… the EPITOME OF BEAUTY…..and I refuse to be convinced otherwise” -Amber Good

37. Jah Larry Dread

April 12, 2014 at 10:48 am

This really saddens me. My prayers go out to the family.

38. marla lee

April 12, 2014 at 12:02 pm

My mother suffered from this problem as well, she told me that she would hear a voice in her head always saying you (black). It really disturbed her a lot through out her life. And now my daughter has that problem as well. She will not date one of her color, she says they have to be light, bright, close to white!!! I stay talking to her about this issue, and I will continue!!!

39. Twin

April 12, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I am currently writing a book on depression. I have tried on several occasions to take my own life. I was abused as a child and suffer from multiple illnesses. I know how depression can affect you. Not to sound harsh to anyone, but if you have never suffered from this illness, you have no clue. Like one person commented, you can be fine one hour, then filled with depression the next. There is no time frame, it just happens. The sad part is, we can’t find our way out once we are sucked in. It takes time. Its one big roller coaster that never ends. You have your good days and bad. I had to be placed into a mental institution for some time and still my depression is no better. Some days I am filled with rage, anger sadness all at once. It is very troubling and no one understands. Not even your family, although, they say they do. Today, so far was a good day for me. Tomorrow, i just don’t know. I take it one day at a time.

• Barbara

April 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm

@Twin

Don’t ever give up trying to treat your depression. Sometimes it takes years before the right treatment and medication is found for the individual. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain, and it can be treated, which will allow you to live a better life. Don’t stop trying.

All the best to you.

40. Anrakin

April 12, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Bull, all of a sudden Ms.Washington just commits suicide??? Does anybody else see whats going on here??? Even IF she did committ suicide, I am, as of now, withdrawing any faith in her ‘alleged’ suicide until there is irrefutable proof.

It is very…odd, to say the least, how that if AT ANY TIME a black person tries to uplift his/her race; next thing you know, they end up dead.

I could kinda see this as some type of coincidence if not for one very striking thing – why don’t we ever read about some racist or right wing facist dying under mysterious circumstances or suicide??? Really! I think this is a very important question to keep in mind: I mean, you have tons of racists out their, tons of facists, a lot of turncoats – how come these people never end up passing ; instead, people who cause blacks grief live on for decades

….BUT AS SOON AS ONE HAS THE CRAZY IDEA TO LIBERATE, AID, OR UPLIFT BLACK PEOPLE, THEY INEVITABLY END UP WITH SHORTENED LIFE SPANS….which furthers the question: Is Death just partial towards anyone that wants to uplift the black race??????.

…Surely, blacks have endured enough hell as it is but anytime someone seems poised to lift blacks up, they are, INEVITABLY, cut down prematurely. So, what the he– is going on here, I believe any rationale person would ask…..because, either Death has a taste for people who uplift black people OR…..somebody/ies is/are murdering these gifted individuals, from ‘Sam Cooke’ to countless others in between, to now Ms.Washington.

What the heck is going on???????
    When I see the same number of individuals, whom hate blacks, commit themselves to suicide or end in a mysterious death ‘WITH THE SAME FREQUENCY’ as those upright souls, whom want only to uplift their black family, then I’ll leave this alone….but this is not what is happening on the ground.
    They say lightening doesn’t strike the same spot more than once; therefore, if it should strike a second and a third time in that same spot, you better believe that there exists some type of stimulus or variable in that spot, which is making such a condition proper, so as to continue attracting that lightening.

In the same vein, the ‘same’ kinds of people are continuously being done in, and unless Death, itself, has a preference for ‘do-gooder-blacks’, there is something else going on here.
    I am not saying that suicide is improbable but I am saying that I am highly suspicious of everyone that tries to do good ending up dead.

41. Anrakin

April 12, 2014 at 11:25 pm

I’m sorry but the media lies to da– much for me to just believe this – that Ms.Washington commited suicide. Sure……….. and Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Sam Cooke, Phyllis Hyman, ‘weren’t’ all murdered’……..yeah, and David Caroldine, Mick Jagger’s girlfriend, Brittney Murphy, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobaine and Heath Ledgar weren’t also murdered……..please, all the media does is craft one lie after another, after all, if a death is determined to be caused by suicide, then that automatically is suggestive of the fact that a TRUE investigation won’t be carried out.

42. Kiara

April 13, 2014 at 1:52 am

I haven’t cried this hard over the loss of life in a while. My condolences go out to her family and love ones. This issue designates with me as my daughter is bullied for her intredy in STEM and high grades. My child is seven and last week at school she picked up s hunk of class and attempted suicide. I was bullied because I was never very attractive so I named my child Adara which means beauty. I told myself no one would ever take the beauty out my life because she was all the beauty I needed. I hate that this child is gone when we loose one we all grieve. Especially for a woman as beautiful has this one trying to make a difference and empower other women to love themselves. Our community is in crisis we need to uplift and unite we can’t keep losing our babies not just to death but to all things that depression and desperation can lead them to. No one should suffer alone or in silence and for anyone to feel like death is the only way out is the world’s greatest travesty.

43. skymathew

April 13, 2014 at 3:06 am

SELF HATE IS LIKE DECLAREING WAR AGAINST YOURSELF,AND UNTIL BLACKWOMEN
    DECIDE TO LOVE WHO GOD MADE THEM TO BE AND NOT WHO THEY TRY TO TRANSFORM INTO
    THEY WILL CONTINUE TO KILL THEMSELVES.BLACKWOMEN WORST MISTAKE WAS TO WANT
    THE LOOK AND THE PRIVILEGE OF THE WHITEGIRL,IF GOD WANTED THEM TO HAVE IT
    HE WOULD HAVE GAVE IT TO THEM,BOTTOM LINE IS BLACKWOMEN ARE ONLY STABLE
    UNDER THE HAND OF GOD AND THATS WHERE SHE LEARNS HOW TO LOVE HERSELF THROUGH
    TOTAL SURRENDER TO HIM.UNTIL BLACKWOMEN LEARN HOW TO LOVE THY SISTER AS SHE
    LOVE THYSELF,THE SAGA WILL CONTINUE,BUT SHE FIRST MUST LEARN LOVE THROUGH
    TOTAL SURRENDER TO GOD IN ORDER TO DO SO.THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THAT GOD IS
    GONNA HAVE IT.

44. Doris

April 13, 2014 at 7:14 am

Wow! So sad to hear of this young lady taking her own life. Regardless of why she killed herself, the fact is that mental health issues are affecting us more than we realize and hopefully anyone who is depressed will seek the help they need. We are so quick to judge one another and put labels on each other. If someone go see a Psychatrist, then they are considered crazy. I don’t understand that. If you have a cold or the flu, you go see a doctor, well if you’re struggling with mental issues, please go see someone who can help you. I see the color complex among black people are still alive today. As a light skinned woman, I recall being picked on and bullied as a girl by because my skin was lighter than others. Today, at the age of 52, I still encounter angry looks or snide remarks about the way I look and the color of my skin. I know how to deal with it now, but as a child I was confused as to why I was disliked so much by other little girls whose skin was a little darker than mine. We must learn to embrace our different hues of color and realized that we are all beautiful and lift each other up and stop tearing one another down!!!

45. Jani star

April 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

Just all around sad.

46. Anrakin

April 13, 2014 at 10:14 am

Totally agree with and salute ‘Sky Matthew’. There is absolutely no reason at all, that the ‘media’ should be denoting so much time, energy, and money into how ‘black’ women look and I choose to focus on the word ‘media’ specifically because, to be very candid, the situation is always the direct opposite, on the ground, in contrast to what the media spouts out.
    Examples are many; one being that black men are white skirt chasers. If you listen to the media, you would think that behind every black man’s garage, there is a white woman wrapped in plastic with a bow on top and that black men have totally done away with black women, that is, until you start walking around ‘on the ground’ and seeing with your own eyes, the truth; that most blacks couple with each other.
    Also look at how the media harps on blacks and crime statistics. They focus on a small subset of blacks in certain neighborhoods and they make it seem that these malcontents are a proxy for ‘black’.
    Listen to ‘NPR’….everytime these people utter ‘low wage earner’, ‘blight’, ‘low income households’,…they are signaling to their white viewers whom they are speaking of. Look at Maurey Povitch Show or these Housewives atrocities. The media hates blacks and it ‘shows’

most forms of the media (magazines, tv shows, films, news, articles) are directed ‘at the BLACK RACE’…..not black women….not just black men. It’s the whole race that the media targets…with negativity.
    In other words, isn’t it intriguing how that ANYTHING GOOD OR ‘ANYONE’ that tries to do good for blacks, all have an expiration date while negativity hurled at blacks doesn’t stop. It’s endless.

The media spends an inordinate amount of time on black women, their hair, their attitudes, their weight, their skin color, how dark or how light their hues are, their ‘mixed’/multiracial ‘ethnicities’, their relations with black men, ‘trying to get them to date out’, how they raise their kids, their abortions, their singular parented households, their socio-economic standings, the foods they eat, their excercise regimine or lack thereof, how they compare to white women, what types of entertainment that they are into, what books they read, what annoys them, what to say and what not to say around them, how they dance, how they worship………he–, if the media were a person, you would have to get a restraining order because this activity could be termed ‘stalking’.

47. Anrakin

April 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

I am deeply troubled by this ‘focus on ME, ME, ME society’. I am seeing undercurrents of this mindset trickling into black culture, this ‘new agey, consciensness, love yourself doctrine.’ This new ‘black consciousness movement is extremely dangerous in that it was born out of the ‘new age’, feminist, goddess-worshipping, self love, cult.

Black women are being inundated by this ‘focus on self’…’love, admiring, and worship pf the self – the creature, over G_D…….if it ‘feels’ good and doesn’t hurt anybody, do it…….’everyone has their own reality’……….REALLY?????……..So, if one becomes their own god and believe in their own reality….what if ‘everyone’ becomes their own god….has their own reality – how do we determine right from wrong, because if everyone is a god, and G_D is perfect, then this sets man up for a fall.
    To be sure, it IS important to love oneself and respect oneself but to become obsessed with self to counter others’, the media’s obsession, with you, will only end with you being the one lacking.
    The irony is the media’s relentless assault on the black female’s psyche actually propels black women, in ORDER TO COUNTER THE MEDIA, to being neurotic.

If someone is constantly attacking you and you are constantly defending yourself, you will end up crazy like someone with ptsd. You are always on guard and attempting to defend yourself…..even against your own people….who had nothing to do with this. Of coarse, everyone gets teased/picked at, feels self conscious at times but unlike everyone else, the media over exposes and saturates the black psyche with negativity. The media MAGNIFIES any problem a black has.

I am not criticizing Ms.Washington at all. What I am saying is that she was ‘reacting against the negativity propagated by the media against black women…..and, for her herculean efforts, this would be a FULL TIME JOB. IN OTHER WORDS, ‘IF SHE DID COMMIT SUICIDE’, IT DOESN’T TAKE A BRAIN SURGEON TO KNOW WHY – SHE WAS, IN EFFECT, A LONE SOLDIER FIGHTING AGAINST AN EMOTIONLESS, INDEFATIGUABLE, AND VERY RELENTLESS MACHINE. The constant stress and pressure, not to mention, she had her own problems……a human is not a machine.

Black women, the answer is NOT to focus on self, NOT to be obsessively self contained because people were NEVER meant to be worshippers of themselves…not this Imhotep, not consciousness…….but man was made to focus all his/her aspirations outside themselves, to the upliftment of G_D…….NOT OURSELVES, FOR IF WE FOCUS ON OURSELVES, CREATURES THAT GIVEN TO DEATH AND ROTTING IN THE GRAVE, WE WILL BE DEPRESSED.

PLEASE STOP THIS ‘HOTEP STUFF’….THIS ‘OSIRUS’…’the ancestors’……BLACKS HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR SOURCE – G_D/JESUS.

48. MissTia

April 13, 2014 at 11:36 am

I just don’t see someone with so much spirit and inspiration to others taking their own life…Because she made a statement on blog about having self esteem issues does not mean she was suicidal!!

49. cheche

April 13, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Who the Hell does ASAP ROCKY thinks he is and who the hell does his ugly ass think he is by saying dark skin women should not wear red lipstick!! I think I’m going to by my tenth red libstick and he and all those other rappers who hate dark skin women can kiss my behind!!

50. Anrakin

April 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS PEOPLE.
    THIS THREAD IS STARTING TO BECOME A BATTLE BETWEEN BLACK WOMEN AND MEN. ALAS, IF YOU KEEP IN THIS MIND FRAME, YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE ON THE SIDE OF THE ENEMY – THE MEDIA, AGENCIES AND A MRIAD OF OTHER PROGRAMS DESIGNED TO DESTROY BLACKS.
    BLACK WOMEN AND MEN MUST BE UNITED UNDER G_D and a curse upon the agent/s that try and sew discord. May the agents be extinguished by THE G_D that sees all.
    To all others, whom are genuinly ill informed,…I say to you, “Black Women and Men will unite”…and those who try and divide, meaning the real enemies, your disparity will be imminent.
    Black women and men – unite yourselves.
    Ms. Washington found herself against a deeply entrenched and well established 400 yr old machine….like a singular individual against an army. Do not make the same mistake.

51. Love Thy Neighbor

April 13, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I am saddended by the lost of this young lady’s life, and all for superficial reasons. Girls with that preception should walk in the shoes of an albino. Life is not easy for them. The bottom line is to be accepting of how God made us. Not let the knuckleheads out here define their idea of beauty on others. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even, better, what is in your heart is more important. It is sad that someone with such a beautiful heart like hers to have her light extinguished by some insensitive idiots, that is out here anoying any and everyone.

52. Poetballard

April 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Regardless of why this tragedy occurred, it is another quiet wakeup call. In this society, women of color are attacked and disregarded in both blatant and subtle ways. It seems to be woven into the social fabric. It may be changing, but only slowly. The current love affair with Lupita Nyong’o is a welcome departure, but may be too little, too late for many. Rather than judge those who crack under the strain, we must be self-aware and strive to counteract the negative by celebrating and promoting the beauty with which we are truly blessed. The negativity and nasty ignorance that lurks around every corner should move us to lift up every female in our society, both young and old. There will be those small minded people who will attempt to enrich themselves by putting down our dark daughters, sisters and mothers. Only a constant barrage of positive messages can prevent or undo the damage that such ignorance can inflict. Help these beautiful females know that we love them, and that they are not alone.

53. Anrakin

April 13, 2014 at 5:25 pm

The key, my friends is to forget about this whole ‘love yourself movement’…because, to be honest, nobody is going to ‘love themselves all of the time’. What is happening to blacks is not what you think, in that, the whole ‘love yourself culture’ is, despite feelings to the contrary, designed to feminize both men and women: what I am getting at is that women are known more for their feelings/emotions and men – logic. Well, now we are living in a PC, anti-bulling, fragile culture in which the women are being pushed to be ultra emotional and have fragile skins and black men are following suit.
    Whatever happened to thick-skinned black people. This may sound offensive to some but if you think about it, blacks, men and women, have come up with warrior spirits. What other race could have endured over 400 yrs and STILL enduring and still exist and still trudging onward. Name me any people on this earth that have been through as much. Blacks didn’t have the benefit of ‘the plagues’, ‘the parting of the red seas’…Blacks had only their faith in THE GREAT G_D and HIS SON, THE LORD JESUS to get us through tuff times.
    No, none of the machinations that are employed against us are our fault. You get up some nerve to tell a white woman that it is her fault because she was inebriated at the time or because she dressed a certain way or because she was out jogging at some obscene hour, and all he– will break loose….So why then, do we, as ‘REAL’ oppressed persons always blame each other and INTERNALIZE everything bad that, clearly, is being pushed on us. You will NEVER hear a white woman say, “well you know…maybe, I shouldn’t have been walking/running alone at 2:00a.m’……or, “maybe I shouldn’t dress so scantilly’….or, “I shouldn’t get wasted off my rocker because I could be taken advantage of’……..No, you will never hear from them, internalizing anything, even though they share part of the responsibility for their own calamities…..and woe to ANYONE that challenges them on this: a tenured professor, a well meaning police captain, a politician, a famous radio announcer. White women are allowed to see themselves as victims….and YOU MEAN TO TELL ME, A PEOPLE WHOM ARE ‘REAL’ VICTIMS, A PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN THROUGH HE– AND BACK AGAIN AND STILL GOING THROUGH IT……AND BLACKS HAVE TO TAKE BLAME FOR THEIR OWN SUFFERING???????????????
    You make the mistake if you want and tell a Jew that the holocaust was their fault…………SO WHY IN THE HE– DO BLACKS INTERNALIZE EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO THEM????????????? This is insanity. White women play victims but blacks are victims for real.
    Am I to take the blame because this country is racist???? Am I to feel bad about myself because I don’t look like whites???? No and no. A person can call me an ‘N’ if they want…..You think thats going to shatter MY SELF ESTEEM???????? Certainly not.
    What blacks need to do is get their heads out of their 3 points of contact and STOP WHINING ABOUT HOW DARK THEY ARE. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A SOLDIER GAZE IN THE MIRROR NARCISSISTIC WHILE BULLETS ARE FLYING?? In other words BLACK WOMEN, GET OVER YOUR BODIES AND HAIR/BLACK MEN, FORGET ABOUT SWAG…..THERE ARE BULLETS WIZZING OVERHEAD.
    OHHH AND BY THE WAY, YOU CAN BE BEAUTIFUL OR UGLY…..YOURE STILL HATED, SO GET OVER IT.

54. Anrakin

April 14, 2014 at 6:43 am

Look, you guys…..this ‘self love’….’love yourself’…’hair journey’……’natural hair journey’……’black is beautiful’…..’imhotep’……’black love’……’consciousness’….’your/my reality’ new agey theoligy has got to quit in the black community.

1. When you don’t feel good about yourself, your body, your hair; you inadvertedly advertize how needy you are for approval when you continuously ‘make the focus about yourself’. Even if you do feel good about yourself, you send mixed messages when you continuosly create sites and videos focusing on your hair and body – it’s overkill.

2. As can be learned by observing the treatment of President Obama, Michelle Obama, Eric Holder….NOBODY CARES about you; in fact, if you are a black child, woman, or man, people would prefer if you ‘didn’t exist’…no amount of natural, perm, education, handomness is going to change a peoples’ perception of you…IF YOU ARE ALREADY HATED despite your best intentions. Even if you may not care about how whites see you and you want your own people to accept you; this is still unacceptable because….in this world, if you are waiting on acceptance, then you will be a most miserable human being. People can pick on me until they are blue in the face…..If I focus on G_D and JESUS ‘FIRST’, then all the rest will fall into place. NEVER PUT ‘THE CREATURE’ – YOURSELF, as the central focus of your life. This ‘god/goddess within’ nonsense is new age eastern mysticism that puts the creature ahead of the CREATOR; therefore, people, especially black women/men are becoming obsessed and worshippers of themselves….and this is WRONG. Can a man save his own life???

3. In this society, blacks are hated irregardless of what they do or what they do not do. If you are black in American society and are in need of validation, you are giving the enemy more with which to exploit and destroy you. Do you really think white society is going to give a crap if you are depressed about yourself, your vulnerabilities????

4.Just because people of your own race treat you bad doesn’t mean you look in another camp for a mate/friends because at the end of the day, no matter how cozy, how comfortable you believe yourself to be with whites……..you blink the wrong way and you could find yourself on their bad side. They will never completely accept you. Tiger Woods and O.J.Simpson got these lessons the hard way.

5. Blacks need to center themselves on G_D and JESUS because this is true balance. Alas, blacks are constantly under siege and if blacks depend on a ‘god/goddess’ theology, then there can only be an inevitable fall.

• Pat

April 17, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I agree with you in the fact that African American, Blacks, everywhere especially in the US YOU NEED TO KNOW WHO GOD IS. THE CREATOR! Now many of you are not going to get this because you are BLIND. Your eyes are wide open, but you are BLIND. The Word of God states that the god …of this WORLD has BLINDED the MINDS OF THE UNBELIEVER.

So you cannot see who you are in the Creator who formed you before the earth was in existance. It is HE who formed you in your Mothers WOMB. Who told you to run after other gods? You choose to because you REFUSE to HONOR GOD.
      YOU African American, Blacks, and Africans are so manipulated that you don’t even honor the ancestors who were the first slaves in this country. WHO? you know the people who were brought in chains packed in those ships. They be your people. NO. look at you.

Your body hanging out, your pants down to your knees, you support perverts who curse God in media and worship the devil and those who follow satan. YEAH…satan is real and you have been manipulated by him The fact that you would measure your own natural beauty of self against the measure of man is the evidence that you are in the dark and controlled by satan and do not even know it.

Want to Break That Chain? Resist the devil and he will flee. but you need power, the only power that comes from the Living God. This is resurrection day this Sunday, not easter, the bunny did not die for you, Jesus Christ did, so that you can be free from the works of satan who only comes to kill, and destroy. He is the author of confusion… Get a real Bible and read it. Start with John. If you would like some direction feel free to email me

wealthbook2010@gmail.com there is no charge, no fee, just direction and answers to your questions. Many are called but few are chosen. Not everyone will respond to me because you love the ways of the world greater the Creator God the Father who you put on the side.

Joint Heir In Christ

Pat

55. stephanie

May 1, 2014 at 8:09 am

my hart go out to the family never give up just pray

56. Website/Blog

June 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

The panic realm is temporarily suspended as my mind assures that assumptions are worse than mistakes.
    As a non-believer, I’m just not sure how to respond to this without sounding biased.
    If you have met your twin flame there will no drama – none.

Here is my blog post – Website/Blog