black women

Fire Takes the Life of Children’s Book Author and Her 8 Year Old Son

By  |  6 Comments

A New Jersey mom and her 8 year old son were both kιlled in a New Jersey house fire on Sunday night.

Someone who noticed the flames at around 11:30PM called 911, but firefighters were unable to save Tanji DewberryDewberry, 37, or her son, Evan Soler. Both bodies were found in the son’s room, leading authorities to believe that Dewberry dιed while trying to rescue her son. Investigators believe an electrical malfunction in the son’s bedroom started the fire.

The Good Samaritan who called 911 also tried banging on the door to alert the people inside, but didn’t get a response.

“When we arrived, we found the building was completely sealed up and the companies forced the front door in and went inside to attack the fire,” said Orange Fire Director Michael Down, according to CBS New York. “Unfortunately, they found two victims.”

Although Dewberry worked as vice president at an investment firm, she also authored the children’s book Oh Fiddlesticks!  which dealt with her son’s attention deficit disorder.

In 2013 Dewberry appeared on local affiliate WLNY TV to discuss her son’s ADD diagnosis and how he’s handled it.

“He’s doing amazing,” said the proud mom. “He was in the district spelling bee, he made the honor roll, so he’s doing phenomenal.”

The boy’s father, Virgilio Soler, spoke to CBS2 about his loss.

“I just feel empty. He was the world to me,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s something I’ll ever be able to overcome.”

Soler said the home did have smoke detectors but wasn’t sure if they were working.

 

6 Comments

  1. Sasha

    April 16, 2014 at 3:22 pm

    So heartbreaking!! Peace, love and comfort to this family.

  2. naimaa

    April 16, 2014 at 3:43 pm

    Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors, as well as fire alarms. Much of the time, people die from smoke inhalation, not from initially being in contact with flames. Often, by the time the fire reaches them, they have already been asphyxiated, and the flames are so out-of-control that even if they are still alive, structural compromise may make rescue difficult. So do remember to have detectors for ALL THREE – the higher sensitivity of the carbon monoxide and smoke detectors is necessary for an early warning.

  3. Lester L. Washington, BTH, MA, ABD

    April 16, 2014 at 7:16 pm

    Thank YHVH God there is a RESURRECTION!So sad! So talented!

  4. Susan

    April 16, 2014 at 7:27 pm

    My sister and her son was in a fire back in 2009, She survived but her only son died. She suffered third degree burns, but she has come out
    victorious. She is working and taking life one day at time. When they found her, she apparently jumped from the second floor window, and they
    found her body in the back of the house. She can’t recalled anything that
    happen in the incident. I thank God for that.

  5. KayJay

    April 17, 2014 at 4:03 pm

    Prayers to the family…

  6. Cherlyne Miller

    April 18, 2014 at 12:43 am

    I’m saddened by this heart breaking news, and pray for her family doing this most difficult time. I pray that they’ll acquire their wings in Heaven, for all those who know and love the Lord!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *