Mother charged after 6-year old found frozen to death in negative 30 degree temperatures

Screen Shot 2014-03-15 at 7.07.00 AM

A mother in Minnesota has been arrested for doing something to her daughter that no parent would ever consider doing in their right mind.  Rachel Downer, a 22 year old mother of a six year old child, was arrested and charged with second degree manslaughter after her daughter Mercedes Mayfield was found frozen to death outside her home.

In addition to the manslaughter charge, Downer is also going to be charged with felony neglect of a child.

Police say that the girl was found unconscious outside her mother’s apartment building after being left out in the cold for hours in temperatures that were as low as 30 degrees below zero.

The first-grader was found by her mother and a neighbor, who both called 911.

“The child had signs of being exposed to the frigid elements and was pronounced deceased at the scene,” according to a police press release.

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s office said that the child died from hypothermia.   The grieving mother went to Facebook and posted images of her daughter with the words “Gone but not forgotten.”

Despite her pleas of grief, the mother is still set to be charged this week for what happened to the child.  Police are investigating whether she left the child outside deliberately or by accident.   But the charges being pressed indicate that they have reason to suspect that it was done deliberately.

May the child rest in peace.

1. angela

March 15, 2014 at 1:54 pm

My heart aches for that precious angel. I have a 5 1/2 year old and I couldn’t imagine anything like this happening to him. You got make sure that you know where your kids are. RIP little angel!!!

2. Jacqueline

March 15, 2014 at 7:12 pm

First of all why would she let her outside in that type of weather. Unless she didn’t know she was out there? but she should of heard her crying or screaming. I hope they get to the bottom of this.

3. Black Empowerment

March 15, 2014 at 7:19 pm

It is tragic that this racist society with it’s materialistic focus helps to create people like this or the father who bit a babies nose. It is doubly tragic that YOUR BLACK WORLD headlines these stories. Why the YOUR BLACK WORLD focus on National Enquirer type stories?

• j lewis

March 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm

It maybe, some parts of society are racist because other parts of society often do non thinking things like this!

I know it’s not just us, however, we get the press time.

• WizardG

March 15, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Black Empowerment. I for one wish to know everything that is going on in our black community! I already know that a few of us have mastered the ways of the Anglo-elite and their minions, and have done well for themselves, while having left everyone else behind! Still I want to know how the millions left behind are fairing. Even though I know that it can’t be good, given this horrid social structure our ancestors were forced into! I want to know the horrors occurring to people of color all over the world but especially across the “black” African diaspora!

• cj

March 15, 2014 at 10:09 pm

the reason they post these stories because most of us will never believe it or hear it from the television because they don’t care about what happens in the black community.. Your BLack World please keep on reporting news most of us love you!!!!! forget the ones who don’t they can stop reading the stories… thanks

• Keepingitreal

March 18, 2014 at 9:45 am

I agree

4. James E Clark

March 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

With temperatures that low, no one should have been outside unless you’re going to work. Why would this child be outside @t 6:30am? Further investigation will change the charges to premeditated murder; not manslaughter; not neglect. You should have known where your 6yr old child was with these weather conditions! The authorities even told pet owners to take their pets inside!! Shameful!!

5. bosslady

March 15, 2014 at 8:04 pm

This report is incorrect. Per the MN news the 22 year old is the child’s cousin….not mother.

• dlov

March 15, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Story should have been accurate from the start. Too bad Your Black World follows this racist society’s way and continues disseminating stories that put blacks in a negative light.

• Paul H

March 17, 2014 at 1:20 am

Most will ignore what you posted because it takes the steam out of so many self-righteous rants. We love to bash other black people more than we love the truth

6. WizardG

March 15, 2014 at 8:48 pm

The madness continues! Here we are in the year 2014. We’re equipped with a high level of technology, medicine, science, and overall education yet we still carry ourselves like neanderthals! So many amongst us believe in deities who’s remnants should have been left in ancient medieval era where the early insane, retarded, ignorant men created them! But here we are believing in fairy tales and often conducting ourselves like uncivilized apes! I can’t conceive how a mother could leave her precious daughter out in freezing weather! I can’t begin to fathom how our society has made such a mess of things that people are left to resort to so many insane actions and counteractions. So many things which lead to mass suffering and death amongst us!I’m so saddened for this child and her mother. I know that there is so much more to this story. Nevertheless, may the sweet child rest in peace!And may the mother and loved ones find peace and some semblance of happiness following this mind altering tragedy.

7. Bucktooth

March 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Too many dead-beat people..or was it mental illness? Whatever is was..get her off the street! I recently had to come back to MN for a short time..this last winter was a very cold nightmare!!

8. altha

March 15, 2014 at 8:58 pm

The police will say anything when it comes to blacks to put them away for life if possible. I don’t believe this was done deliberately this chil wakes-up in the am (morning) and go out side and couldn’t get back in the house, the cousin or mother was asleep. I’m so sorry this happen to this baby may the family get through this period of their life and with God’s help they can go on with their life. (GOD HELP)!!

9. Elem

March 15, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hmm.. I wonder if it was a case where the young girl snuck out of the home out of curiosity and accidentally locked herself out of the home?

I will wait for more details to come out, before casting judgement.

• Paul H

March 15, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I wondered the same thing. We know that the police and courts always rush to judgment when it involves a black person and it appears that some of us have been infected with the same anti-black, rush to judgment, hang a N, mentality that we all complain about.

As a people we really need to do some soul searching before we lose what little soul we have.

• SayWhat

March 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I concur, Elem. There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions based on an article missing in detail and no proof. And, I’m still trying to comprehend what racism has to do with this.

10. Paul H

March 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Before everyone takes out a rope to lynch this mother, I want you to consider this. And this is not an excuse or a lack of compassion for a dead little girl.

A lot of people male and female, black and white, are breaking down in this moral-less society and suffering from all types of mental illnesses because their hope for a better future has been taken away.

A lot of young black people are not prepared to be mothers and fathers and so their children suffer in much the same way that these young parents probably suffered.

Instead of responding as a community to the pain and plight of our black youth, we are ready to come down with the hammer as soon as they make a wrong step. How self-righteous we are. I’m sure we have never made any mistakes with our own children, right?

What bothers me is some of us could easily walk in these shoes, not being vigilant about our children, or allowing personal problems to overshadow everything else.

I would warn all that the coming times are going to tax all of us and we may find ourselves acting and doing things that we once thought was out of our character.

Be mindful of hateful words

• Regina

March 16, 2014 at 12:24 am

Oh shut up. Stop making excuses for the animal that killed this little girl. This person is nothing but pure evil. If you want to kiss her a-$-$ then you do it, but don’t try to browbeat us into it.

• Sister Denise Shabazz

March 19, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Paul,
      Thanks for the well written comments, quite thought provoking. I to have encouraged us to acquire all of the facts and details before voicing our opinions; but my goodness I have never in all of these years on Earth witness such angry, such hate,such lack of self respect and lack of self love, and we wonder why our children are so out of control and cannot adequately or appropriately express their thoughts without cursing or making threatening gestures;just look at the parents. You really only see these type of venomous comments when it’s Black related. We have a tendency brother, to want to examine situations from the surface and not get to root of problems when its pertaining to Black people. I really don’t think many of our people understand the process of cause and effect. We have truly been destroyed completely throughout this process call integration,to a point where we are not even recognizable. This society is so abnormal to our nature, the powers at be have so skillfully taken us completely out of our nature, so I for one know that no matter how much you plead to some of these people on the site making these negative comments, they will never be able to relate to you and know where you are coming from. This has been a well thought out systemic plan, and it is being orchestrated through the food we eat(in which is grown in laboratories), the air we breath(chem-trails), the soaps we use, the false hair our sisters put on their head,the medications we take(Many are psychotrophic drugs causing a lot of mental illness), the ignorant realities shows (scandal, Mary Jane) we watch, and allow our children to watch, etc is contributing to our demise. It really saddened me to read many of these comments, because it is really a barometer used to measure just how far backwards we have gone. Brothers and Sisters, some of you may not appreciate my comments,and it may anger some;however I have only spoke the truth. This society has nothing but death plan for you and your children, what happened to Our dear babies Trayvon & Jordan Davis and countless others will soon be at your doorsteps. We must UNITE and SEPARATE from our enemy before it to late!! This is what All God’s Prophets taught(Noah,Moses,Lot,and even Jesus). They never taught you to remain with your enemy(for you ones who claim to know the bible)and God never taught you to LOVE EVERYONE, your Slave Master taught you that, and indoctrinated that in Slavery. We must turn off the TV, and start studying our true history, Check out books by Dr. John Henri Clark, read ERIC WILLIAMS “From COLUMBUS TO CASTRO(The History Of The Caribbean) All of the books by The Most Honorable Elijah Muhammad especially “MESSAGE TO THE BLACK MAN”,”OUR SAVIOUR HAS ARRIVED,FALL OF AMERICA” Go to NOI.ORG AND CHECK OUT ALL OF THE LECTURES BY THE HONORABLE MINISTER LOUIS FARRAKHAN, “THE TIME AND WHAT MUST BE DONE” before it is too late, time is of the essence, Amerikkka is going to War, and your babies will be drafted to fight in that War,Stop Criticizing everything that is Black, Support Black Businesses, Eat, and feed your children healthy food, Read to them,And be very careful about who you leave your babies with!!! Turn off the ignorant television, and get with someone with some knowledge that can guide you through these dark and death days a head, Just a Warning Peace To The Original Family!!!!

• Skylor

March 19, 2014 at 3:21 pm

@Paul, you must be out of your mind and if you feel that YOU could EASILY walk in this killer’s shoes? Then YOU go and get help NOW and you have children in your HOME, give them up, you’re a dangerous male reference to your comment…stop all this NONSENSE.

Mental illness or not (and I doubt it seriously in this case) This good for nothing mother or cousin killed her DAUGHTER or cousin, PERIOD, there’s no ANDS or BUTS about it and she did this to punish her daughter or was neglect caring the little girl.. WHY ELSE? And for that she must be punish , she took a child’s life either WAY.

There’s some indication at some point she decided to put her daughter outside in 30 degree below zero temps. Now I would say this mother/cousin may be mentally ill if SHE stood outside with her daughter, but did she? HELL NO she didn’t..she put little girl outside in 30 below temps.SO she KNEW exactly what she was doing to this little girl and its going to be just a matter of time before she’s confess to doing this act intentionally. That little girl SUFFERED so, have YOU personally been so cold you couldn’t stop shaking even after being inside for over a hour in room temps of 70 degrees or more? It’s called being cold to the BONE ans you will died when you get to this point. SO PLEEZE! Try again I’m not buying what you’re trying to sell us, especially when you SAId this could be any of US? REALLY? I say right now GET HELP and if you have children give them up until you get the help you need.

We NEED to hold these KILLER parents responsible and lock them UP and throw away the KEY, never to see the light of day again, this little girl froze to death literally, and you’re thinking about the female care takers DISPOSITON? REALLY? Where the passion for this INNOCENCE CHILD and how she suffered and died???

Yes, you’re a dangerous male…I wouldn’t want you anywhere around or near my children.

11. eunice ward

March 15, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I don’t think she would’ve been charged unless they found reason to charge her take it to trial

12. Sarah Cyrus

March 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm

This woman looks like a frozen, evil witch. Hang her.
    Beautiful little child. R.I.P.

13. Pootytang

March 15, 2014 at 10:24 pm

We have a nation of emotionally damaged girls/women out here having babies, an passing along that trams to their kids. Our youth/adults need mental help.

• Paul H

March 15, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I agree. I think due to our own slavery trauma that resulted in our poisoned attitudes toward other black people, that we actually enjoy slamming another black person.

We seem to have more compassion for the rich and famous like President Obama and Colin Powell than we have for the most disadvantaged and struggling youth.

Look at some of the posts, like, ‘hang her!”

It’s as though we have been reincarnated into the most hateful type of white people. What kind of black person says we should hang another black person???

How soon we abandon our own painful history and the damage that it has done to generation after generation of black people.

I find the comments on this thread more sad and pitiful than the story itself.

• Regina

March 16, 2014 at 12:27 am

I find you sad and pitiful. HANG THAT SWAMP SOW. She is responsible for that child plain and simple.

You would give aid and comfort to the enemy of our people than hold the mother or cousin responsible for their evil actions.

• JembeQueen

March 16, 2014 at 4:57 am

This is sad. She might have thought it was a school day, went outside and couldn’t get back in. You are judging this woman on her looks and ‘hang her’ – that’s just racist. I never hear black people saying white people should ‘hang’ only white people normally say that.

Oh that’s right, we’re in a ‘post racial’ society so black people are now calling for lynching other white people so they don’t have to do it themselves. smh.

• Paul H

March 16, 2014 at 6:02 am

@ Regina

your “civilized” responses to me, like ‘shut up’, actually prove my point

some of you “hang her” responders need to do some of your own soul searching as to why so many black people (assuming you are black which you might not be)

are so dam*n eager to tear another black person to pieces without hearing all the details

• Regina

March 18, 2014 at 2:14 am

ROFLMAO. What point? You are the type of person that does not bellieve in taking responsibility for one’s actions or assigning blame or responsibillity to anyone.

Your ability to make and accept excuses is pathetic. You would rather take on the pu$$ified passive role in life than hold a criminal’s feet to the fire.

YOU MY DEAR LADY NEED A NOOSE AS WELL.

BTW lady I am very much BLACK. I am glad that I am not a washed and faded African American like yourself.

A child is dead fool and here you are sniffing her killer’s.jock.

14. Pootytang

March 15, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Trauma*

15. stephanie

March 16, 2014 at 1:17 am

What a sad excuse for a mother.

16. Kimberly

March 16, 2014 at 1:41 am

I hope every single day that this rat slash murderer spend the night in jail she will be tormented by the soul of her daughter for killing her.

17. Corbin

March 16, 2014 at 2:42 am

I want to hear this woman’s side of the story. I am not going to judge her. I need more info.

• Skylor

March 19, 2014 at 3:34 pm

What is there to JUDGE? The child was under her care and the child DIED literally FROZEN to death; either she put the child outside or she as the care taker was neglectful taking care of the child..whom literally froze to death being outside, that’s not judging that’s what happened!!!!..And either way she has to PAY for causing this child’s death..

BLACK FOLKS REALLY , REALLY need to WAKE the F-up and stop the madness making excuses and we need to be held responsible.. The woman deserve to be in prison for the rest of her life.. And so this attitude seen here, oh well, just another black child is dead.. don’t blame the parents whom were neglectful and responsible for their child’s death? REALLY? Now that’s SICK and disturbing..

18. Auntie

March 16, 2014 at 2:58 am

I don’t want to judge this mother, we don’t know the whole story yet,the child was found at 6:30am, could she not had been sent to bed and then got up and went out side for something and the mother not known this until she got up to wake her. I have a 6 year old child that goes and sits on the porch at night, he wakes up and sits out side, so I put bell on my doors so i know when he goes out . It is possible the mother didn’t know she was out there. Let’s just wait before we pass judgement. IJS

19. Paul

March 16, 2014 at 3:16 am

She should spend her sentence in Siberia.

20. Lem Cope

March 16, 2014 at 9:51 am

Another consequence of babies having babies

21. Jessica Yvonne Smith

March 16, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Please get your facts 100% correct before you write any news story ! You have your readers mad and upset at the mother when this wasnt the mothers fault, nor was the mother arrested!!! It was the cousin!!!! so please get your facts straight !!!

My heart goes out to this girls mother !!!!

• Yocheved

March 18, 2014 at 5:49 am

OK, so where was her mother? What about the sperm donor? I don’t suppose he’s around either.

22. Amazing Grace

March 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm

That crazy woman, went to Facebook with pictures? I lost my dog and can’t muster the strength to post a damn thing! !!!! Crying now, just SMH.

• Jilly

March 18, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Was it the mom or cousin?? I’ve seen both. At any rate, why didn’t the mom know where her child was?? And pictures on Facebook? WTF? If that were me, I’d be so sedated, I wouldn’t even think of being online.

23. Ann G.

March 16, 2014 at 3:58 pm

It really makes no difference if the woman was the mother or the cousin! Her sorry butt should be put away for 25 years! As much noise as a child this age makes in the home, how could you not notice she was not there unless she was sleep, texting, phoning or high and out of it! There are those that should never ever have children and those that should never ever babysit your children. Let this be a lesson to others. The only good thing about his situation is this child will never be mistreated again!

24. David

March 17, 2014 at 2:02 am

What a stupid person!She had the mind to post on facebook but could not have the mind to think about her daughters welfare!

May God have mercy on these innocent children who end up with “parents”like these.They suffer in bizarre ways for no fault of their own.

They should make sure this b***h never has another child ever

25. Sandra

March 17, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Punishment fits punishment

26. Regina

March 18, 2014 at 2:22 am

Not only do we have a problem of babies raising babies we have so-called grown gray a$$edadults who can’ t raise their own children either. It is now brats ruling the house not the parents.

This so-called adult was derelict in her duty as a caregiver and adult. Either way PaulieH baby a child is dead and you are not intelligent enough to grasp that.

Look at thr statistics on black christ like out of wedlock births and the prison incarceration rates ad then you STFU.

27. TruthInYourFace

March 18, 2014 at 9:04 am

Knowledge is never well-received by ignorance, Paul H. It’s like leading a horse to water. I like what you said, ‘Be careful about judging too harshly. When your time comes for a little compassion you may find yourself being judged by the same yardstick.’ Though my heart bleeds for this child’s pain, I need to know the WHOLE story. God forbid any of us wake-up one day to similar circumstances. Jesus.

• Regina

March 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm

No Truth, you are the ignorant one. After all you are a christian. In Greek christian means “CRETIN.” If you was astute enough to read the 4 gospels in the KJV it will tell you that jesus is not the son of G’d.

Now I see why our youth are so out of control. It is due to you idiots and your ilk that have excuses for everything.

BTW, a 17 y.o. girl, her aunt and grandmother gave a 1 y.o. 6 shots of Vodka. I suppose you two ladies want to grab hands and sing Kumbaya, while she languished in the hospital.

I cannot take you two with a grain of salt due to your ability to believe in fairy tales and Easter Bunny.

28. Pingback: My Homepage

29. PwWMsMkBOXP

April 9, 2020 at 7:54 am

804666 371335Taylor Lautner By the way you might want to take a look at this cool website I found 213208

30. Pingback: Social Media Marketing Rowlett Texas

40. Pingback: cheat pubg

41. Pingback: call of duty esp

42. Pingback: Legal document preparation

43. Pingback: Skrotning av bil Göteborg

44. Bilskrot

May 16, 2020 at 12:43 pm

Den bästa bilskroten i Sverige.

45. Pingback: cách trị hôi nách bằng kem đánh răng