Yolanda Spivey: Let’s Not Forget that Black Women Were Lynched Too

By  |

noose

By Yolanda Spivey

I am a big advocate on telling young Black children the horrors and atrocities that Black people faced while living in America.  I feel if they know their history, they are less likely to repeat it.  Unfortunately, many of our young ones don’t know their history, and Black children’s lives are in a dismal state which is reflected in the ever increasing prison population and songs that are produced in mass media.

Recently, I ran across the website www.henriettavintondavis.com and was taken back to tears at the sight of Black women hanging from trees at the turn of the 20th century.  They apparently had been lynched.  It sickened me to see their bodies on display as White people made a mockery of their murders.

Once these women were hung, White men and women would stop by to observe the “exhibition.”  They often made it a family event, bringing their children along to look at the dead bodies as they swayed in the wind on Southern and Midwestern trees.  They would even take pictures of the hanging bodies and put them on post cards and mail messages to their friends.

Further, lynchings were often advertised in newspapers.  The body parts of some of the victims, including their genιtalia, were distributed and put on public display.

It has me thinking of Black women’s current situation and how our bodies are still being exhibited and put on display. I immediately thought of Beyonce’s performance at this year’s Grammy Awards.  She was scantily clad and sang her popular song “Drunk In Love” accompanied by her husband Jay Z.  Afterwards, the mainstream media sort of “lynched” her by labeling her a whοre and tarnishing her image.   It didn’t matter that she performed with her husband.  It didn’t matter that she was a grown a$$ woman displaying her artistry—all she was to the mainstream media was a whore!

It is estimated that over 5,000 people were lynched in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  One hundred and fifty of those cases were revealed to be Black women, (it’s suspected that there could’ve been more.)

The case of Mary Turner stood out to me the most.  I don’t know why, but as I read the words, it haunted me.  Here is her story:

“Mary Turner 1918 Eight Months Pregnant- Mobs lynched Mary Turner on May 17, 1918 in Lowndes County Georgia because she vowed to have those responsible for killing her husband arrested. Her husband was arrested in connection with the shooting and killing Hampton Smith, a white farmer for whom the couple had worked, and wounding his wife. Sidney Johnson a Black man, apparently killed Smith because he was tired of the farmer’s abuse. Unable to find Johnson, the killers lynched eight other Blacks including Hayes Turner and his wife Mary. The mob hanged Mary by her feet, poured gasoline and oil on her and set fire to her body. One white man sliced her open and Mrs. Turner’s baby tumbled to the ground with a “little cry” and the mob stomped the baby to death and sprayed bullets into Mary Turner. (NAACP: Thirty Years of Lynching in the U.S. 1889-1918)”

I posted Mary Turner’s story on my Facebook wall and immediately received a few inboxes from women who said they didn’t know this had happened.  Of course they wouldn’t have known—these atrocities are hidden from the public and not taught in school.  The internet is wonderful because since its beginning, many people of all nationalities have started to receive grim history lessons on what really happened to Blacks—these stories, many wanted to bury away.

The late great educator Ida B. Wells once said “The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of TRUTH upon them.”  And I agree wholeheartedly with her.  We must shed light on all the atrocities that befell our ancestors, no matter how sad, grim and ugly they are.

For more stories on the Black women who were lynched, please go to http://henriettavintondavis.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/black-women-who-were-lynched-in-america/

Yolanda Spivey writes on various issues and can be reached at organize@yourblackworld.net.  You can also visit her Facebook page

What's Your Thoughts

Loading Facebook Comments ...

1. Amazing Grace

February 8, 2014 at 6:13 am

Speaking The Truth is Power! I read of Mrs.Turner’s violent end last year via the internet. Wonder if there’s a book written about all the African-American women lynched in the 19th&20th century? It would sell today, because a lot of folk don’t realize woman were lynched regularly.

• Jason L.

February 9, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Black men should’ve had the courage of the Japanese Samurai who would lay on his sword before being dishonored. ATLEAST when it came down to their WOMEN.Saying “IT STOPS HERE!”

• Devon

February 10, 2014 at 2:23 am

You sitting here bumpin’ your gums about what black men shouldve been doing. Meanwhile in 2014 brothas getting yall azzes whooped and shot up every dayum day by white devils in and out of uniform and yall just standing there and taking that sheit. So do you and other brothas in 2014 have the courage of samurai warriors, hell no. Yall arent any better or courageous than those dudes back in the day so have a seat with all that internet bravado.

• Jason L.

February 10, 2014 at 8:41 am

Shut your disrespectful ass UP. Was I even addressing any modern day grievances? Was that the topic or was I reading the wrong narrative? I was attempting to retroactively address the inhuman victimization of black woman back in a day when a black man would not lift a finger to help himself nor EVEN HIS WOMEN.I was bemoaning THAT FACT!’Cause even if I could understand a man ‘taking one for the team’ I can’t fathom him being o.k. with his woman doing the same. MODERN day blacks have access to all types of advocacy & redress (NAACP[if you count them], Southern Poverty Law Center, Justice Dept. , Federal and state law in general, on the flip side, The New BPP, or even civil defense such as the right to bear arms which was denied him back in the day).PLUS the climate & breeding of today’s negro is such that he will, if not sooner then later, avail himself of some or all of those listed measures.So I’m not inclined to be in any type of malaise over him just yet. I WAS ADDRESSING THE ABANDONED BLACK WOMAN OF YESTER YEAR. TRULY DEFENSELESS IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD. DIDN’T EVEN HAVE A REAL MAN FOR SECURITY. SO MISS ME WITH ALL THAT INTERNET TROLLING. YOU DON’T KNOW ME!

• Devon

February 11, 2014 at 2:44 am

And many black women TODAY still dont have a real man for security. Between random dudes pumping them up with babies and dipping out, and thugs killing off their sons, what protection do black women have? Funny when I agreed with your azz you were kissing my azz but when I disagree with you Im a dayum troll? Man please just admit the truth hurts.

• tashi

February 8, 2015 at 7:15 am

Bitch ctfu b/w don’t need your pity

• reah

March 9, 2014 at 3:38 pm

No, we’re not just standing there and talking shit. We’re involved in the drive to educate people, such as on what happened to Alfred Wright and Kendrick Johnson (which I shared above). I personally marched in a protest for Trayvon Martin and others killed in similar cases or in police custody in London. I donate to causes researching the justice system and mass incarceration of black men and was sent a book on the subject by one of them called Taking out the Trash in Tulia Texas. I regularly read biographies and follow the stories of street soldiers like DMX, Scarface, Tupac and Mr. Cheeks amongst others to find out what sorts of things are going on in the streets to spread info and knowledge. Just yesterday I signed the petition below. You can do too. You can do too. It won’t solve the problem of white violence but its the beginning of taking responsibility. Stay positive.

2. Carolyn M.

February 8, 2014 at 8:01 am

This type of atrocity is what I expected to see in 12 Years as a slave. Not shown. Movie was not all that in my opinion.

• Jason L.

February 9, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Respectfully ma’am, it didn’t happen in ’12 Years A Slave’ because what you were watching WASN’T a fictional drama piece but based on an historical autobiography.Events depicted ACTUALLY happened to someone. Yes, it WAS a little underwhelming entertainment wise,even with the slight dramatic license that they took in some areas, but I’D rather “suffer” from some type of voyeur boredom in the observation of the story being played out than have had Solomon Northup,the main character of the story itself, go through ANY more actual suffering at the hands of his tormentors.

• Devon

February 10, 2014 at 2:27 am

• Jason L.

February 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

• tashi

February 8, 2015 at 7:19 am

Bitch, I bet your dick is not even present thru a magnifying glass stfu pencil dick

• Devon

February 10, 2014 at 2:32 am

You wouldnt see that in 12 Years a Slave because the movie is based on an autobiography about the gentleman named Solomon who was a free man in the North who was kidnapped, brought to Maryland and forced into slavery. What happened to Mary happened in 1918, when slavery still existed.

• Jason L.

February 11, 2014 at 11:04 am

Devon
        February 11, 2014 – 2:44 am

–WHAT truth? YOURS? I’m really beginning to believe that you’re not “all there”. Between reading all your demeaning commentary toward others, charging at random people right out the gate with no provocation.Then seeing your replies, or shall I label them as they ARE: RANTS, bouncing all over the place from topic to topic I am being convinced. I don’t know what attracted you to my area of existence but hopefully I can perform the role of an Exorcist using a line from the movie of the same name “The power of Christ compels you!”… to move the hell on as this will be my last reply to you.In your misdirected statement you even supplied an answer to your own question and didn’t realize it. “Between random dudes pumping them up with babies and then dipping”. HOW about the woman’s role in the whole affair?After all, SHE’s the one choosing random guys and ALLOWING them to “pump her up”. Babies being the end result of again, the WOMAN being culpable with the man in having unprotected sex. And what the hell is up with you saying I only called you a troll when you disagreed with me but before that I was kissing your ass? Are you replaying a convo in your head that we never had?! Woman, the only time I EVER said anything to you was yesterday AFTER reading your opening salvo to me. Before that I NEVER KNEW YOU. This thread that I’m replying to you on is EVIDENCE of just the reverse of your charge to me. YOU cosigning almost verbatim a comment I had made to another lady about a movie. So…..what’s REALLY going on? Forget about responding to that. I don’t care to know. Just troll on and try to enjoy your life…playing it out with someone else.

3. Jacqueline

February 8, 2014 at 10:30 am

I read about Mary Turner and other lynching. I also read plenty of slave narratives. I’m also read about our pain and suffering during those times and after slavery. Maybe if these events had of been thought in school we as a people would be doing better as a people. Instead of going around using the N word and calling females bitches like it something to be proud of.

• Yolanda Spivey

February 8, 2014 at 11:00 am

Exactly Jacqueline. The last words these people heard before they were hanged and burned was “N.” Our children would make better choices if they knew.

• Adrian Watkins

February 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm

You are a1000% on point. Thank you.

4. Snowbound

February 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Who cares??

• Nannie

February 8, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Everyone should care! If you are not aware of your past, how will you prevent history from repeating itself. Taking a blind eye won’t help the cause nor will it make things better.

• keepbothbarrelsloaded

February 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

IDIOT!

• Adrian Watkins

February 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Evidently not you “snowflake”.

5. Mina

February 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I have heard the story but will now read the actual account. Thank you for that. I’ve been learning SO much about our history and the untold story. It is OUR fault that it is NOT being passed down to our children. I don’t expect the perpetrator to be truthful, WE must be!! Truth is POWER! For AAs it would be freeing in a way that we have yet to experience. The Civil Rights movement was NOT a spiritually freeing movement because we did not know self. If we had, we would NEVER have turned over the financial, educational, social, religious, & political institutions we had built In spite of the horrific circumstances under which we survived. 600+ years of self hate indoctrination, is hard to overcome But we must if we are going to survive. We MUST learn to face the TRUTH, refuse to let them hide it& then speak it into the AIR to be swept across the globe. Mary Turner and her child are one horror among so many. We do her and US a terrible injustice, just as though we are hanging her again, when we allow the truth to go untold!

Push your public schools to incorporate our history into EVERY page of their history books/lessons. Force a change in the curriculum –

• Jah Larry Dread

February 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm

“The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of TRUTH upon them.” I also agree whole heartily!

I also agree with Mina, “Push your public schools to incorporate our history into EVERY page of their history books/lessons. Force a change in the curriculum.” I have stated this for years to my school district when they asked the students to write a paper on the “I have a dream speech.” Most students have done this since Middle/Junior High School and they are bored. Why? Because they are not taught what lead up to Dr. Martin Luther King! I AM ALL FOR TURNING ON THE SPOT LIGHT!

• Jason L.

February 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm

The Civil Rights movement was NOT a spiritually freeing movement because we did not know self. If we had, we would NEVER have turned over the financial, educational, social, religious, & political institutions we had built IN SPITE of the horrific circumstances under which we survived.- SO, so true Mina. Atleast, I hope it is. Unfortunately there have always been blacks willing to sell their fellow tribesmen down river for a few trinkets.

6. Read and think!

February 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

My Black women, hung, shot, raped, and remade over. Have stood strong and will always be my Queen no matter.

7. Mariba Luba

February 8, 2014 at 3:19 pm

We must also teach our children that their history did not start with slavery.
    African Americans have a very rich history which started at the beginning of time.
    We gave the world it’s first humanity. All this info is in the library and on
    the Internet . Every child should have a library card and a computer or access to
    one. Our president deserves credit in attempting to give every child
    access to the web. This is something the parents could do with the
    children because many parents are not educated about their history.

8. Wiser

February 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm

The article was on the proper track of education and enlightenment of the factual travesties inflicted upon Black women, until the creole french white girl was improperly inserted and horribly defended. That girl in no way compares to the prideful and flawless true Black women that were tortured and tormented with horrid rapes and hangings.

That girl got with a Black man for the fame and fortune, just like the rest of her kind. The white media was correct in calling that girl what is obviously evident. They don’t like to see their girls dating Black males and being paraded around for other brothers to get the idea that it is fine for them to grab a white girl and do to them what the pink male animals have done to countless Black women.

If you have not learned yet, stop wasting your Black dollars on pink people, white media and pale “entertainment” and do not feed into the lies or trust the words of the whitewashed crew or the ones that “pass” themselves off as Black.

Honoring Truth

9. Michel

February 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

This was a very painful read and it still continues today! I believe it is our duty!!!! as Africans in America to either teach our children no matter What Color The History of a people who were stolen from their country,on/in the Belly of ships packed like “Sardines” to Build a Country, feed, clean, become sex slaves, builders, you name it they HAD to do it…and the mistreatment the they endured! There is a book called “100 Years of Lynchings” by Ralph Ginzburg but the story of “Our Sisters” such as “Mary Turner” are not in it. Infact there are no women in it. I thank you for this information.
    Perhaps, there is a book with the things Monsters of hate and greed, did these Horrible lynchings to Black Women did has been written. I must check it out! And purchase it.
    What amazes me is that, we are taught to forget our History in a under the cover method but Jewish People have NEVER let anyone forget what their Ancestors endured!
    Perhaps, just perhaps, if we were really taught these things our progress in life would be different…
    It is horrible, as to How we are a Forgotten People and so many want to claim anything but…their Black Heritage/Ancestors! Which is another lynching! ie..I am white and part black…I have to explain to children didn’t matter how much sperm was donated… one drop of Black Blood you are “BLACK” and now anything but BLACK! When I hear that…I realize how much you hate yourself and you really do not know Your true History or you would keep your damn mouth shut! You might think twice before you even thought about going on stage even with a great body to entertain anyone other then your Husband! A Black man would Not entertain the Thought for Hell or High water, let alone Money… to even entertain the Thought… His WIFE! The love of Money is a evil thing…what next your babies?
    I was raised different…Instead of praising trash for money… you praised the God of your understanding and the people that worked hard to put food on the Table, your ancestors that died protecting you and your country when they were Not even “thought” to be Humanbeings.
    How many children know nothing but Drugs, Sex and baby Daddy’s, welfare and EBT cards…with “No” shame. Until Our Children are taught who they are and what our people went Through in this “Great” Country that they have: Built, Inventions that were stolen…ie: the Telephone…we have FAILED Our Ancestors and Ourselves…which to me means You Are Still A SLAVE and You are still being LYNCHED…and OUR Ancestors died for Nothing!
    Folk Know “Knowledge is Power” and People Died for Our children to embrace that POWER…Look at OUR Country we were born in and Never forget that A wealth of people “Died” for US! Free ain’t Free until you Know what your Ancestors Did and Died for in AMERICIA! It takes the Village!
    Shit, half of the teachers don’t know “History!”Let alone can teach it!”
    Now we have the Electronic Lynchings…better known as the Computer, that we play games on, look for any thing but the Wealth of information about Our Ancestors…! Reap about THAT…JayZ!
    Again Thank you for this “Truth” I will look it up and print it out for the children in my Hood!

• katie

February 9, 2014 at 3:42 am

I agree Michel, 100%.

10. Miss B

February 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Read more and you will also learn that a young sixteen year old and his mother were lynched together. The mother was lynched after being raped by the entire mob of pink men consisting of at least thirty six or more pink men. I too read a site on lynching and the article of the baby being stomped was the hardest to digest. One woman was lynched after being accused of posioning her employer. The employer’s husband later admitted to poisoning his wife. No charges were filed. And now the pink world wonders “WHY”. The bible states “the sins of the father shall be visited upon the sons”!!! I know everyone does not believe in the bible but seeing is believing. Lynching was the “perferred method” and still is used.

11. Miss B

February 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

As one commenters stated “please do not compare Beyonce to the women who were “STRANGE FRUIT”. These women wanted dignity and received a rope and death. I have no sympathy for Beyonce. Looking at the picture of her spread open was just awful. Jay Z looked like her pimp. I had no interst in the Grammys and only saw the distasteful highlights. My opinion!!! I know the body is beautiful and to be admired but she rates right with Miley.

• Devon

February 10, 2014 at 2:44 am

Beyonce is a woman who is MARRIED, has no out of wedlock kids, had her baby with her husband, she’s not standing on somebodys welfare line or begging black celebs to “do something” for her and her kid. She doesnt need you to feel sorry for her. Old azz menapausal fossils like you werent trippin when Tina Turner was shaking her azz on stage when she was young and yall wasnt trippin over Pam Grier showing her tiddays in her movies or screwing black and white dudes in her movies either. Another old azz hypocrite bumpin her gums, no wonder my generation doesn’t respect yall, always talking out of one side of your face while you forget all the mess yall did when you were young.

12. Nato2

February 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Two comments. First many black women of college age and over are posting pictures, videos and live shows on the computer performing even worse acts than Beyoncé. Many are used by both black and white men who post professionally taken photos, where women are actually selling themselves to the highest bidder, and by themselves you know what I mean. Secondly, whites don’t want us to know because it will anger us and expose them for what they really are. We seek solace with them, and really want to forget what they did, and until we have a reconciliation with ourselves and them, our position will not improve in the US.

13. Barbara

February 9, 2014 at 2:02 am

Ms. Spivey, there is nothing “artistic” about a half naked Beyoncé sexualizing herself in front of millions. Why would you even mention her while describing the horrific lynching of our Black sisters?

@
    Elizabeth Moore….I’ve heard similar stories from my grand parents of all night rapes of Black women and small girls. Little girls who were too young to understand what rapes were all about; crying to their parents who could do nothing to help them. Keep telling your stories for all to know. One thing for sure, you will not find these type of stories in American (White) History books in school. BUT, they (whites)can not hide the truth from the world forever.

• Adrian Watkins

February 11, 2014 at 3:28 am

Right on Ms. Barbara, very well said!

14. katie

February 9, 2014 at 3:29 am

15. katie

February 9, 2014 at 3:40 am

My thoughts on Beyoncé Grammys performance.No matter the horrible treatment that was done to us in the past. We really need to examine the meaning of her pushing the limits of entertainment. Her song was raunchy.It also says a woman has to get naked to be sexy , a man can be fully clothed.There is a lot to be debated in Beyoncé exhibit and we need to let it out.

16. godfather05

February 9, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Do you wonder why ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and their affiliates never tell one of these true stories? Could it be that not only did they condone it then but feel that they would offend their white viewers if they told the fact about American History and what happened mostly in the South, and East? Now whenever an injustice occurs, and they still occur often, FOX try to justify these outrageous cowardly acts by whites.

• Devon

February 10, 2014 at 2:52 am

Why would you expect tv stations to tell these stories, you do realize what country you live in right? These are stations run by white people why would you expect these stations to show anything that happens to black ppl unless we’re getting arrested? Naive’ much?

17. A. Newson

February 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

It is soo important to educate our children about our past in this country because as a black women i feel we are fed to believe we have no value in anything in the past, now or in the future. it does take a village and not only educate your children reach out to other children you know and dont know to educate them. im really on the verge of homeschooling for the very reason the public or private, charter etc do not teach our history. we have to if we want things to change. i am a very proud black woman and sometimes people say that i am too proud,,but how can that be when you are surrounded by so many negative sterotypes and images of black men any women other than black,,all the negativity surrounding our hair and bodies..there seems to be no median for me and most people are uneducated about our history and the things african americans endured and survived..black women out there we need to stand up and speak out and let our voices be heard and teach the young ones …our condition as black folks has to change but it will not magically go away we have to make a change..

18. Traveller

February 11, 2014 at 3:42 am

‘You sow the wind you inherit the whirlwind!’

Although we were lynched and have forgotten, you can be assured that Our God has not!!

19. paula

February 11, 2014 at 6:07 am

You so rite and what good is the truth if the blacks dont stepup and do demand eqaulity now. White s still see us as 3rd class thers no black nothn we are stuck black men should standup and stop eatn the white mans shit.they fear us .til we stand up and say hell no the internet. Is pointless with all that grewsom. History fight fuck it start some shit

20. Teri

February 16, 2014 at 7:04 am

Rape camps, as in Bosnia,during their civil war, exist in the US,now. Black girls are the main prey of the corporate pimps(black and white) who stock the camps. As in Bosnia, girls dont leave the camps alive. There is a holocaust on black women right now in the USA and those who have their money and libido sunk in S&M, in crack highs built upon rape, and in powerless women who will never be allowed to tell, would much rather hear about yesterday than the all too real rapes and lynchings of TODAY. Any black women who know of this presentday holocaust on black women, should tell the truth to power, black and white power,even if neither one wants to hear truth about the holocaust on black women happening right now.
    Sad thing is,a lot of black women outside the camps are as afraid of the ire of the black and white men involved in maintaining them.

21. Haile

March 5, 2014 at 8:14 pm

YES!NO MATTER WHAT WE MUST NEVER EVER FORGET EUROPEAN SLAVERY AN ITS DEADLY, VICIOUS, DEVILISH, MUDEROUS,NO NAME FOR ACTS AGAINST US AND THE WORLD.THE DEVILS HAVE LEARNED MUCH SINCE THESE DEVILISH ACTS BUT HE AND SHE AND THEIR CHILDREN HAVE NOT CHANGED THEIR DEVILISH NATURE, EVEN IF THEY LOOK A LITTLE DIFFERENT AND APPEAR TO ACT A LITTLE DIFFERENT.THE WORLD IS STILL SUFFERING FORM THE RESULT OF THESE NO NAME FOR ACTS AGAINST GOD,S PEOPLE. AND TO THINK THAT ALL PEOPLE ON THE EARTH CAME FORM AFRICAN PEOPLE.NO OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD TO ENDURE WHAT WE DID AND YET WITH ALL THAT, WE HAVE COME FROM THE OUTHOUSE TO THEIR SO CALLED WHITE HOUSE, BUILT BY AFRICAN SLAVES FOR FREE.YOU ARE REALLY DYNAMITE AFRKICAN, WALK TALL AND CAST A LONG SHADDOW.

22. s'ann

March 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Yolanda, thank you for shining the light on the lynching of Black women. Most of the stories told are about the lynching of Black men. In fact, Ida B. Wells’ study of Black men’s lynching proved their innocence in raping white women. In reading your article, I am sadden and angry about the stories of the Black women, especially the one about the mother whose stomach was cut opened and her baby was horrendously murdered. (Pause, head shaking.) How do we process that? When we tell these stories, we must also prepare ourselves and our young people on how to process their feelings and thoughts. A vigil, memorial, books, poems, a moment of silence, something! We cannot allow their stories to continue to lay dormant or for their deaths to be in vain.

I might also mention, don’t forget Lena Baker’s story either, she was the first woman ever to be executed in the State of Georgia for defending herself against a white man, who was trying to kill her.

Lastly, it is obvious that you are a big fan of Beyonce, but there is no comparison of the response to her performance at the Grammy’s and the Black women who were lynched due to racism. In fact, it is insulting to compare Beyonce to those women. Beyonce’s is alive and her performance was self-inflicted. Entertainment or not!

• Iya Marilyn Kai Jewett

March 12, 2014 at 2:14 am

Ashe on that! Beyonce is NOT a role model for our sisters. She is prostituting herself for money and fame. No class whatsoever. I was embarrased at her performance. She is always scantily clothed, with her legs spread pumping her pelvis in a sexual manner. It’s not necessary. Aretha, Gladys, Chaka, Billie, Ella, Phyllis, Jill and even Solange among many others did not have to do that to gain fame. Money ain’t everything like some foolishly think. As the Staple Singers said in the 70s — “Respect yourself.”

23. Iya Marilyn Kai Jewett

March 12, 2014 at 12:56 am

I have read the Lynching List that documents 5,000 lynchings of African people in the U.S., but I didn’t realize there were this many women lynched. Reading the post on another Black website made me angry and brought tears to my eyes. I sent it to my email list and told the brothers and sisters to send it to every person of African descent they know. This is part of our history, Amerikkkan history that we must pass to our children and grandchildren.

I am a Yoruba priest and work closely with the Egun (ancestors). My Egun spoke to me this morning and directed me to do more and make sure these women are remembered. Since it is Women’s History Month, my godsister and I decided to pour libation for these sisters in a public ceremony to call their names and pray for the upliftment of their souls. We have done similar things in Philly regarding our enslaved ancestors and the community was very responsive. I am also a journalist/publicist and will be writing an article on this.

We are going to perform a libation ceremony 3PM, Sunday March 30 at Washington (Congo) Square in Philadelphia to remember and heal the spirits our murdered sisters. Washington Square, two blocks from the “Liberty” Bell, is also the site of a mass grave of Africans and others who perished in the Yellow Fever epidemic. Many people are unaware that our ancestors are buried there. That was where slave owners took our ancestors to allow them to “socialize” before selling them off. White folks didn’t realize they were not socializing, but calling out to the Orisha and the Abosom to help them. The Ancestors are speaking through us and have demanded that this ceremony be perfomed. Bless you for posting this information. Stay tuned.

Maferefun Egun!

24. Charles Patterson

March 13, 2014 at 10:24 am

I stand behind Yolanda Spivey 100% and I agree also. In today’s society no one wants to hear (Black Americans) anything about the atrocities that our Black ancestors faced. Most of the people I talked to in the past in regarding these horrible issues. The first thing they say;”What can you do about it?” Most Black folks back then and some today are still afraid of Whites. Most Blacks have been so Americanized,they forgot where they came from. Even though it was against our will. I quote: “There is very little that is more important for any people to know than their history, culture, traditions and language;for without such knowledge, one stands naked and defenseless before the world.” This is just one of the pieces of info that gives this mainsteam society today to just kill Black Americans today whereas nothing gets done about it. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this story as well and feels very uncomfortable about it. Blacks better start realizing who they really are.