Celebrities

Why Are People Attacking Pam Oliver For Her Hair?

pamoliver

By Carolyn Hall

The Super Bowl is one of the most watched sporting events of the year. However, it seems that more attention was given to sideline reporter’s hair, Fox News Pam Oliver, than what happened on the field. According to innumerable news reports, Twitter pandonium, and FACEBOOK feed madness, Miss Oliver had a “horrific hair day.”

Instead of all eyes on the field, arm chair commentators declared a foul on Oliver for her hair.  In the words of one twitter rant, “her hair was jacked up.” Oliver, who is known for her stellar sports cast, can’t seem to shake the “haters” with this hair debacle. What is even more ironic is that her biggest naysayers seem to be women. WOW. If anyone should understand that “into every woman’s life, a bad hair day must fall” (I’m paraphrasing scripture here), it should be her sister fans. Well, heck, maybe I’m just speaking for other sisters like myself who seem to have five million things on their plate and understand all too well what it means to let your hair be one of them.

Now, before the haters tackle me, I’m not excusing Oliver but simply cutting her some slack. Keep in mind that before she ever hit the field, she probably had sleepless nights and countless hours of research and prep time for THE SUPER BOWL. She even states, in an interview with Daily News, “Usually, the most important thing to me is getting my information and getting it right and hoping that everything else is going well with the hair and what little makeup I have left and go from there,” she explained. “I’m a little focused on what I’m doing. Maybe too much for people’s liking.”

If each woman that I know were to be derailed and smashed for every bad hair day they had, they would probably have to be committed or seek counseling.

Nevertheless, Miss Oliver handled her ‘hair haters” like a consummate professional. Instead of getting back at them with her own TWITTER rant, she responds gracefully by saying that “[the hair debacle] was naive of me. I get it. But there are times I get so tunnel-visioned and focused on what I’m doing to the point of maybe letting that other stuff fall by the wayside. It’s not intentional. You want to look your best on TV.”

Well, Miss Oliver…This sister understands…But, for your own sanity and to ward off the hair obsessed, keep a good “Brenda” (i.e. wig) on hand.

1. bubles

February 8, 2014 at 9:49 pm

THEY ARE JUST HATING THAT THIS BLACK WOMAN IS ON TELEVISION DOING HER THING,BLACK PEOPLE WILL NEVER STOP PUTTING EACH OTHER DOWN,THAT’S WY WE WILL NEVER TRULY OVER COME.HAIR WILL NEVER BE AS IMPORTANT AS AN SUCESSFUL CAREER ON TELEVISION,I HOPE THIS WOMAN IS LAUGHING IN THE HATER’S FACES ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!IGNORANT BLACKS NEVER CEASE TO ANAZE ME!SHDH!

2. Anike

February 8, 2014 at 10:42 pm

lol! A good “Brenda”? So, she should wear a wig on top of a weave?!

Even before I heard of what others thought, my own were she looked a bit unkempt while watching her conduct the interview with Russell Wilson after the game.

I reminded myself that it had started to rain that day so perhaps that’s the reason her weave looked terrible. The other female reporter wore a hat while on air. Perhaps that’s what she also should have on hand?

But I also suggest she purchase the “wet and wavy” high grade “Indian” hair. She could then sport a wavy ‘do if the rain or humidity hits instead of what looked like something Shaneequa would be rocking.
    Her little pink jacket sort of topped off the girl from da hood look.

Across racial lines women are always harder on other women, that phenomena is not news.
    Pam just needs to hire a image consultant. She will be okay.

February 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Thank you for admitting that Pam looked a little unkempt. I truly thought she was on crack. I was shocked to see dark circles under her eyes and her hair a mess. Millions of people all over the world saw her like this. She was fully aware that she was looking that way before she stepped in front of the camera and this is not the first time she has done this. Knowing her facts are one thing but looks are EVERYTHING in tv land. I guess she will do better next time. Poor Pam.

• Rick

February 10, 2014 at 10:10 am

You should have suggested that she sport her natural God-given hair. It is truly beautiful – not fake, like you.

February 16, 2014 at 2:08 pm

AND YOU DEAR RICK SHOULD HAVE SUGGESTED TO YOUR MOM THAT SHE TELL YOU WHO YOUR REAL DADDY IS! NOW TAKE YOUR ONE INCH FAKE PENIS AND GO TO THE BACK OF THE CLASSROOM! THANK YOU.

3. Princess P.

February 9, 2014 at 12:03 am

Pam Oliver was there to report on the Super Bowl. She is a consummate professional and extremely efficient at her job. It wasn’t the hair per say but the movement of her head when she shook the hair away from her face. It kind of took your focus off the interview. But, everyone has a bad hair day, more often than not. Don’t see the big deal. And, I also don’t see why they seem to point out the bad hair days of women of color.

February 9, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Dear Princess. REPEAT AFTER ME. You do not have the right to have a bad hair day EVER when THE WORLD is watching you on television! She is not only representing herself but every black/mixed woman and black/mixed child on earth.

4. Corbin

February 9, 2014 at 1:33 am

Maybe if she took that itchy looking mess out and tossed it in the trash…

What is with the majority of black women?? Wash your real hair, take care of your scalp, brush and style your hair. That is not hard to do!!

February 9, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Dear Corbin, I wouldn’t say it is not hard to do but I understand your point. My solution has always been to slick your hair back, wrap a covered rubber band around your hair, twist it in a little bun and put a $12.00 synthetic ponytail hairpiece on top of it. (PLEASE make sure you match the color to your own hair!) It takes less than a minute, stays out of your face and looks super sharp all day. Then you can take it off when you get home and give your head a break!

5. Carolyn M.

February 9, 2014 at 1:39 am

Hair is and has always been important to black women. That won’t change.

6. BlackSupaman

February 9, 2014 at 2:29 am

Can’t stand a chic with some long fake ass weave. I don’t care how cute she is in the face or how shapely her body is. That type of woman to me is just a “hit it and quit it”, nothing that I would commit to. All natural is the way to go!!

February 9, 2014 at 10:56 pm

To BlackSupaman, If you can’t stand long fake weaves, why would you “hit it and quit it”? Maybe one day one of your “hit it and quit it” chick’s might end up stalking you and then you will have to go “natural” and move to the other side of the planet. Just saying.
      Now, take a seat.

7. AfroTapp

February 9, 2014 at 5:33 am

TV is a visual medium, that being said unless you are working for a newspaper your appearance is a part of the communication. That being said “in home”, “couch”, “informal” communication has expanded with the rise of social media. I didn’t see her on TV, but the picture you showed looked a little “uncrisp” I would have shared with her wrong choice. She probably got that. Is it a big thing nope. Was the hair jacked, yep. It was just teasing people do normally while at there home, but now its expanded because of social media. Dies it show a lack of respect for her and her profession? I don’t think so. It would be no difference if an Espn host did a segment on soccer the camera panned down to the player and the commentator’s feet and shoes the commentator wore were “run over”. Bad choice.

8. Chris40

February 9, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Personally, I watch football on Fox and I see Pam Oliver sometimes. I feel that Black women (And Pam included) that wear weaves or whatever make their hair flow down like a White woman, look “tacky” as hell to me!!!!

February 9, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Dear Chris40. I was not expecting such a crude comment but you made me laugh. I admit that I have seen some tacky weaves in my day and it is getting worse by the minute. These hairdressers know that many of these girls and women look tacky as the devil’s wife but they don’t care. You have to put some of this blame on the hairdressers too!

• Chris40

February 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

Personally, I wish Black women (Including Pam Oliver) should leave weaves and hair straightning alone. Black women should wear their hair natural, not trying to be like White women.

9. DOCMEB

February 9, 2014 at 9:38 pm

We got young boys and men getting shot down in the street and you looking at a black women’s hair that is so sad.

February 9, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Dear DOCMEB. It is what it is. Enough said!

• Elem

February 10, 2014 at 12:49 am

Then get off the internet and teach your kids proper morals.

February 16, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I agree but how can you expect a parent to teach proper morals to their kids when they don’t have any themselves? Get back with me on this one.

10. Ann

February 10, 2014 at 12:19 am

I have Sister Lockes and that if the best thing that ever happened to me after years on being on that ” creamy crack”. You know who gives me the most complements: white people. I had an ex-boyfriend who said I it reminded him of the cotton fields. I told him people in the cotton fields could not afford Sister Lockes and that he was “whitewashed.”
    There are plenty of other cute natural styles. If she hands short Afro, what would the public stay?

• Elem

February 10, 2014 at 12:46 am

Good for you!

• Chris40

February 10, 2014 at 10:45 am

Good for you!!! I like Black women with natural hair styles!!!!

11. Elem

February 10, 2014 at 12:48 am

Black Women, please start wearing your natural hair. Weaves are embarrassing.

12. Bert C

February 10, 2014 at 12:48 am

I am often saddened by the lack of responses that asks for critical thinking; when the commentary has meaning to it. But, when there is an opportunity to tear another black down responses comes out of the wood- work. When will this daytime TV (Maury, etc, al) stop. How appalling, attacking one of the pioneers in female sports brodcasting.

• Chris40

February 10, 2014 at 11:19 am

I didn’t know that having an unkept weave was a fuss!!!!LOL

February 16, 2014 at 2:27 pm

All Pam has to do is clean up her act in the hair and makeup department and all is well. If YOU met Pam for the first time (as many people around the world did on Super Bowl Sunday) and this was a first (blind) date with her, wouldn’t you be at least a little disturbed by her disheveled appearance (dark circles, messy makeup, untidy hair)? Now tell the truth and shame the devil.

13. Kelli

February 10, 2014 at 5:08 am

Wow,the world is vicious.

14. Tony Regusters

February 10, 2014 at 6:05 am

@Kelli: Yes, it is…

15. H

February 10, 2014 at 9:12 am

I respect Pam’s journalistic ability. I also understand the issues we have to deal with in corporate america regarding hair. The issue of her hair did not just start during the Super Bowl. Pam regularly looks upkept and has for quite some time. This is not a put down on a sister by a sister. Over the years men as well have frequently commented on her appearance. If she is going to wear a weave, she should wear a better quality one that doesn’t look matted and tangled and one that is positioned on her head approximately. It would seem that with a position such as hers, a professional stylists would always be at her disposal.

16. Ann G.

February 10, 2014 at 11:11 am

Everyone has a bad hair day, weather it be a Black woman or a White one, I have seen them all on the tube. We have got to stop putting each other down. I don’t like the weaves either but to each its own. My preference is a natural that is cut and shaped to my face. Some folks like to pretend they have nice long hair, White women have attachments in their hair too. Who cares, they have to deal with it. I did not see her, but I was wondering if the wind was blowing, she was running late, or there were other variables involved. Just leave the lady alone and make sure your hair is always looking its best when you walk out the door, but lets face it, I doubt it!

17. L. J. Davis

February 10, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Ms. Oliver, I believe it’s more about what’s between the ears than the hair. For what it’s worth I think you are both intelligent and beautiful! Keep on doing what you do.

February 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I agree with you that Pam is both intelligent and beautiful but I want you to try going to work looking as unkempt as she did at her job during the Super Bowl and get back to me about your co-worker’s responses. AND, I need you to do a 10 minute presentation in front of your bosses, co-workers and the entire company with the media there on the same day. Thank you.

18. Karrol

February 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm

I was too absorbed in listening to what she had to say. What a great reporter she is, never notice her hair. Now that its been brought to my attention, what is the problem??? Great work Pam

February 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm

The problem is that Pam needs to spend time on her health and her hair.
      I am sure YOU would have something to say if your pastor came to church looking like he or she just finished a wild fight with a chicken!

19. Devon

February 12, 2014 at 1:44 am

Real talk I learned a little about football from Pam Oliver, she’s dayum good at what she does, now I dont have to bug my man with quetions. Now here’s some food for thought and yeah Ima throw shade @ all you fukkas so DUCK THE FUCK DOWN! LOL!

Yall trying to clown that womans weave well I havent seen one bw in a weave that dont look like a dead azz cat sittin on top of yall heads so you chicks are in good company with Pam, at least she had a bad weather excuse, yall heads look like sheit on a hotbsunny day and that sheit stank because yall dont wash it for three fucking months until yall take out the weave and wash your real hair and I know this because I worked in a hair salon part time when I was in college. Gabby Union the only chick with a weave that dont scream WEAVE!! And them ugly azz wigs yall slap on your head aint no better, those chinese beitches tell yall, Ohhh you look niii, it looka ree niii on yoo, yoo buy now an go way,and yall be laughing with them thinking they and being friendly with yall dumb azz, but they really LAUGHING AT YALL and saying, Oooh loo how stupie she loo, she dumb nigga we sell dem wig da loo lii dea cat and dey buy, we may dolla from dum nigga hahahaha dey don li dey hair we fin nigga gol mine, we sell dem mow weav hai an dey buy!

Thats what they think about yall.

The only chick with a fly azz weave is my girl Gabby and not that big greasy hog sidibe Im talking Union!

Dont get me started on your weight and out of wedlock bad azz kids yall dont raise worth sheit oh yeah and how yall love random dyck.

And any punk azz nuccas run up in here talking sheit I got something for yall thuggin, dont take care of your kids, cant stay outta jail and cant get or keep a job azz!

February 16, 2014 at 12:15 am

WOW DEVON! Your impersonation of the Chinese wig shop owners was so “spot on” that I laughed until I cried. You really “brought it” in your response and actually everything you said was sad about our race but TRUE! It is all true! I think you would do well in stand up comedy. The truth hurts but you did not lie! Congrats!

20. Haile

March 5, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I think that all African people should stand up stop perming and pressing their Beautiful God Given Beautiful African Hair, and wear it the natural way. Most all other people do.This is one of the throw backs from European Slavery and we make all kinds of excuses to deny it.Madam C Walker became rich when she invented a French Ironing Comb for Beautiful African Women to fry their Beautiful African hair because of what the devils say and do.They used to fry off their hair until the devils permitted them to wear Afro.American Powerful artist had to conk, they called it, their Beautiful African hair to be accepted by the Devils and most African exslave people here in America.Up to now we donot think that we are beautiful without a European weave or perm nonsenmse.Tell the truth.

21. اموزشی

May 5, 2020 at 9:09 pm

Hallo I discovered your blog using msn. That is a really smartly written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful info. thank you