News

Woman Loses Eyesight After Undergoing Procedure to Change Eye Color

farrell

By Daphne R

Plastic surgery can be glamorous but it can also be dangerous. A student in London was forced to learn about the dangers of plastic surgery the hard way. Shenise Farrell wanted to change her eye color so she traveled from London to Panama to get an unregulated procedure that left her blind after surgery.

Farrell had been wanting her eye color changed from dark brown to light brown since 2009, so she began researching options. She found a location in Panama that would implant colored disc, like contact lenses, into her eyes. She spent £8,000 British Pound ($13,165 US Dollar) to have the procedure done but something went terribly wrong.

Ms. Farrell shared her misfortune in an interview on a new reality tv show, “Botched Up Bodies”, saying, ‘I was so determined to get the surgery nothing rang alarm bells for me – nothing obvious.’

Upon her arrival to the clinic, she was informed that the light brown implants she had requested were out of stock, but doctor’s suggested she get the blue implants instead and she went along with their idea.

At some point during the surgery, Farrell recalls screaming out and being told by the surgeon that if she screamed it ‘could cause things to go wrong’. The procedure only took about 20 minutes to complete but after it was done, Farrell realized that she was having trouble seeing.

She said her vision was blurry, like looking under water. Her surgeon comforted her saying that what she was experiencing was normal and that it wasn’t unusual for it to take up to two weeks for her vision to adjust properly and get back to normal.

Instead of getting better, Farrell’s eyesight worsened. And by the time she returned to London she found it imperative she seek further medical attention. So she went to Charing Cross Hospital for an evaluation. Doctors there noted that she was unable to see even the largest letter on the optical chart and decided that the implants should be removed. The surgery to remove the implants was even more dangerous for Farrell as she would be risking losing her sight permanently but she made the decision to have the proposed surgery.

After surgery, Farrell recalls, ‘When I woke up I saw black. I panicked. I thought if my vision goes, my life will be over.’ She later realized the darkness she saw was caused by the bandages doctors had placed over her eyes. However, once the bandages were removed her vision was blurry. It actually took her about two to three months for her vision to return to normal.

Now that her vision has returned, she’s happy with the dark brown color of her eyes. After all she went through, the shade of brown no longer matter. Farrell said, ‘The main thing is that I can see.’

__________

Daphne R is an experienced marketing and communications professional who provides social commentary, self-help, tips, and reports news of events that matter to African Americans.

1. Cherri Forrester

January 9, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Wat n the hell were u thinkn. oh u weren’t. God gave u that color 4 a reason, dummy!!!

2. janp

January 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Like to feel sorry but how stupid. Glad you got vision back but don’t be so stupid. If you were meant to have lt brown or blue eyes God would have given them to you
    Stupid , stupid, stupid. Blindness is a high cost!

• Lay'Di Cleopatra

January 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Do you feel the same way about perms?

• Devon

January 10, 2014 at 1:00 am

I do…same with weaves and wigs. Ive never permed my hair or wore a weave or wig.

• Jason

January 10, 2014 at 6:54 am

WOW.The RARE black queen who is SURE of and accepts completely herself. God bless you.We need more like you in that way. I say do like the feminists of the 60’s did w/ the “oppression” of the bra and start bonfires worldwide where you burn your collective weaves and perm kits and then accept your natural selves. An even better modification than all that weavage/perming would be grow locks. I think those are SO sexy on black women.

• Devon

January 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Jason I dont want to loc (yet) but I do wear twists from time to time.

• BlueCornMoon

January 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Nothing wrong with wearing wigs. Black women have the most fragile hair of all & wigs let you give your hair a rest from a lot of manipulation. They also keep you from killing your hair with relaxers. I have very fine soft hair & wear wigs as protective style in winter or for bad hair days..we’re having a snowstorm RIGHT NOW so I’ll be wearing it when I go out. As for weaves I’ve never had one but I feel that black women …JUST LIKE WOMEN OF OTHER RACES…should have the freedom to wear their hair any way they want to & to wear colored contacts if they want. My late mom had hazel eyes; mine are brown. I wear hazel contacts in her memory. It doesn’t mean I feel my natural look is unsatisfactory .

3. Paul H

January 9, 2014 at 8:06 pm

It should not be surprising. I suspect there are many black people who fantasize about having lighter colored eyes, skin, and a different texture of hair. Men and women. Some of the black females reading this are wearing weaves and wigs that do not complement their natural hair texture or color. How is this different– other than being more extreme? And some of the brothers, we damn near crack our neck when we see a light-skinned, or light-eyed, or long-haired female come onto our radar. I know men who married black women just because they had light eyes or long hair or light skin, and of course, most of the marriages break up because they’re based on nonsense.

And there are still sisters who talk about having babies with light or white men just to have ‘pretty babies” with ‘good hair’ and pretty eyes, so what is all the tongue clucking and finger wagging on this thread about. We need to be honest about this.

when black people make a big fuss over some celebrity because they have light eyes or we want to date someone because they have lighter eyes or skin or longer, straighter hair, how are we any different than the lady in this article other than she tried to live out that fantasy.

The white controlled media is largely responsible for giving black people an inferiority complex and then black people, in our ignorance, plant the ideas in our children’s minds, admiring near whiteness and putting down blackness.

Of course, this sister thought she’d be “special” with lighter eyes. She is simply mirroring the reality of being a black female where to be beautiful, black, and female means not looking too black.

I’m glad her sight returned and hope we all see ourselves in her mirror and stop all the posturing and pretending that most of us haven’t had a “Michael Jackson” moment of wanting to look less black and more white in a society that teaches us that black is not naturally beautiful.

• Devon

January 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

@ Paul – please stop blaming the white media for the stupidity of the black women to whom it applies. The constant blame game and excuse making is insulting and conscending. That woman was STUPID as hell for risking her sight. We love to proclaim ourselves as STRONG BLACK WOMEN, then engage in stupid, self destructive behavior, proving we’re self hating, self deprecating and WEAK. Some of us are fond of saying “god don’t make no mistakes” yet we turn around and spend money getting those HORRENDOUS looking weaves sewn on our heads, or slap on those ugly azz wigs on while the slant eyed asian sales clerk LIES and says, “AHHH, DATA LOOKA GOOOOOD ON YOU, VEDY NICE, YOU BUY NOW AND GO!” Genuine STRONG BLACK WOMEN, we love ourselves, don’t have the hair of indian and asian women sewn
      on our heads, and we dayum sure don’t risk going blind to have eye color like white people. Either we’re strong or we’re weak, but we cannot be BOTH.

• Paul H

January 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm

If sisters are stupid, what does that say about the black males who are chasing women just because they’re biracial or not black?

Also, you and I went through this before, and I do not believe you are black or female,

I would strongly suggest that people be aware of trolls and posters who start hurling insults and starting flame wars. Most the time they are not black people.

• Devon

January 10, 2014 at 1:05 am

@ Paul – I dont give a f@ck who you think I am. I dont bite my tongue and Im not the go along to get along negress. You dont like my opinions on this board feel more than free to SCROLL your azz on past my sheit.

• Paul H

January 10, 2014 at 3:24 pm

@ Devon

Here’s a suggestion. Stop posting to me. (my guess is you won’t)

From your previous posts, I believe you’re white, possibly male. And I would strongly suggest people look at those extremely hostile posts that spark flame wars between black males and females and ask yourselves who benefits when we rip each other apart?

Don’t fall for the hype. These hateful posts do not represent the majority of black males or females.

• Paul H

January 10, 2014 at 10:53 pm

interesting…how many black females would describe themselves as a “negress?”

wow

• Ronald Poe VII

January 10, 2014 at 11:39 am

Amen to that brotha’! About time someone wrote something that is true yet understanding. The “judge not yet ye be judged” thing totally applies here. We should be thankful that this woman has chosen to share her story as a warning and be glad she’s alright. And yes, Michael Jackson’s plastic surgery issues as well should make us look within ourselves and have empathy for the insecurities we face pertaining to our Bold & Beautiful Blackness. Let’s continue being just that, but most certainly we should be the ones there to console and understand that not everyone is there yet. Let’s not belittle ourselves by hurling insults. It really seems like the lady has been thru enough. Let’s try to be the best Good Samaritans we can be in 2014 and uplift each other! Peace

• Paul H

January 10, 2014 at 3:31 pm

@ Ronald Poe

We are a damaged people whose self-esteem has been under constant attack for the last 500 years. Most of us have degraded other black people’s skin, hair, lips, bodies, etc., so we need to stop pretending and posing and tongue clucking when we are guilty of praising blacks who have longer hair, lighter skin and eyes.

Many or most of us have looked in the mirror and wished we looked less black. Most black females at one time or another have permed their hair, worn weaves and wigs. Most black males either have worn the Jherri Curl, processes, wanted wavier hair, and have lusted after black females just because they look less black.

Some of us are going out of our way to have lighter skinned babies with white and Hispanic and light-skinned males and females.

we see kids who are mixed race and go oohing and ahhhing and how pretty he or she is and look at the hair, and all that mess we do right in front of dark-skinned children

I know black males who do not date dark-skinned females and who date women just because they are light.

Who are we kidding???? The sister in this article went off the deep end of the pool and almost drowned but most of us are wading in the same doggone pool.

Black people need to keep it real and stop lying and start doing something to reverse the self-hatred that we have been taught to have all our lives by whites and the white media.

come on now!

• Devon

January 10, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Speak for yourself…WE are not damaged. If you or others think of yourselves as damaged goods cool. There is NOTHING damaged about me. Im not the one frying my hair with chemicals or sewing asian and indian womens hair on my head…or dayum near going blind trying to change my eye color.

• Paul H

January 11, 2014 at 5:46 am

@ Devon

I disagree, you seem very damaged to me, which is evident by your usually callous comments, be you black or white, especially if you’re pretending you never made any mistakes, never did anything stupid or irrational and don’t suffer from any insecurities about yourself, like 99.999% of the american population.

(i thought you were going to stop posting to me)

4. Elem

January 9, 2014 at 8:15 pm

At this point, I am not certain if it is a good or bad thing that she doesn’t find this story shameful. Then again, it is just as sad to see Black women wearing someone’s else hair over their hair.

Oh well…

5. SayWhat

January 9, 2014 at 8:18 pm

D*a*m*n what a waste of money! She should have invested in something for brain enhancement. A beautiful woman who wasn’t happy with what God gave and almost paid very dearly for it. I can’t believe she said, ‘nothing rang alarm bells for me’. Wait, what!?! First of all, how about a background check on your third world surgeon? Were there any credentials on the wall? Did you get any references? Read any reviews? I bet he had never done that procedure before and was just waiting for some fool to show up willing to be his guinea pig. SMDH

6. D.Haqq

January 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm

She should give thanks to Almighty God for overlooking her vanity and giving her another chance for sight.

7. marcus davis

January 9, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I have no sympathy for women like this ,bloody sick and tired of certain black folks being ashamed of what they are and how they look.These are the same types that don’t want to appear to be too black whatever the hell that means.In their feeble minds they,re just trying to appear to be more acceptable to whites.Instead of her spending these ridicules amounts of money trying to change the color of her eyes,maybe she should invest in a brain transplant give herself more common sense.

8. ugochukwu ude

January 10, 2014 at 1:33 am

its trying God,the woman is not proud of herself

9. Yocheved

January 10, 2014 at 2:24 am

White folks are just as stupid and brainwashed by the media. All kinds of crazy plastic surgery, illegal places that do butt injections, huge breast implants, duck lips, I could go on. They change hair color and contact lens color day in and day out.

When I was younger, I fell for the hype too. Now that I’m older and wiser, I let my hair go natural, and don’t wear any makeup except lip gloss. I’m much happier with myself these days. I live to please ME!

• 3d2002

January 10, 2014 at 11:59 am

Agreed 100%

10. Randy Taylor

January 10, 2014 at 7:39 am

This women in Not The Brightest Person in London, but maybe one of the Luckiest!!

11. jake

January 10, 2014 at 2:45 pm

One of my buddies, a biracial dude, boasts black women love his pale skin and soft locks.It’s true. He has squired hundreds of black ladies. It’s no surprise black women try to become white.

• Paul H

January 10, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Black males are doing the same thing with white and light females.

Keep it real, brother

12. Hiroader2

January 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm

It’s one thing to pull your hair out their scalps from to many weaves.., almost losing eyesight.., But the reality TV shows and black women televising the personal lives & their insecurities has manifested into shameful cultural exploitation of black women and they’re lining up for miles to jump in front of the cameras….

• Paul H

January 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm

What is the deal here? All black people are allowing ourselves to be exploited. Don’t the reality shows have black males on them?

I do not understand some of these comments where we single out the females or males as though both of us aren’t doing the same thing

from where I’m sitting none of us are doing what we should be doing

13. Devon

January 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm

@ Paul…I dont like your last comment about “mistakes” If by “mistakes” you mean doing dumb sheit that hurts and undermines the black community, NO.

No BABIES until marriage. We won’t be contributing to an already out of control 72% out of wedlock birthrate.

No engaging in criminal behavior of ANY KIND or commit violent acts against my own people, no gang banging, no selling drugs, no drug use of any kind.

No expecting wealthy black people to “do” anything for me, I dont have an entitlement attitude, I do for SELF.

Don’t play into stereotypes of the black woman. No “cooning” no obesity, no Worldstar Hip Hop antics, no loud agressive behavior.

No perms weaves or wigs.

No bleaching my skin.

NO criminal record.

Now If on the very OFF chance I’m stupid or irresponsible enough (I WON’T!) to engage in one or more of the stupid, irresponsible behaviors, I listed I WON’T blame the white man,the “system”, my parents or any one else I will only blame MYSELF and hold MYSELF 100% responsible, be accountable and do what I can to fix or rectify the situation.

BTW theres a DIFFERENCE between making a mistake and deliberately doing dumb, irresponsible sheit that can hurt me and that will directly or indirectly affect other black people in a negative way.

And I RARELY make mistakes because I’m careful about the decisions I make regarding my life.

I’m not part of the “problem”, I’m just not afraid to call it out and point out why it should never happen in the first place.

I don’t do excuses. Excuses is what has some parts of black america in the mess that we’re in now. People refuse to be accountable and do better. We’ve been here TOO LONG to not be doing BETTER.

EXCUSES make us weak as a people.

• Paul H

January 12, 2014 at 5:55 pm

@ Devon

Who said, “And I RARELY make mistakes…”

That comment speaks for itself.

Move on and post to someone else who believes you (and your identity).

• Devon

January 12, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Nucca please…

• Paul H

January 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Yea, you’re definitely white.

(aka trying too hard to sound otherwise)