News

Family Demands Justice for Woman Allowed to Die on Floor of Jail Cell

People gathered at Flatbush Reformed Church Tuesday to demand justice for a woman who died six kyam_livingstonmonths ago at Brooklyn Central Booking.

Kyam Livingston reportedly begged jail officials for help while lying on the floor of a cell, but her cries for help were allegedly ignored by correction officials and Livingston passed away.

Inmates told the The Daily News that when they banged on the cell door to tell officers of Livingston’s stomach pains and diarrhea, they were told that Livingston was an alcoholic.

Livingston, 38, was pronounced dead at Brooklyn Hospital Health Center. She was a mother of two.

NewsOne reports that family and friends of Livingston gathered to light candles in Livingston’s memory and demand justice for their loved one.

“Animals have died a better death than my sister died,” said Kyam Livingston’s sister, Ashanta Livingston. “She died in a place where she had nobody. I’m grateful for the females that were there, but she had no family with her. Why is she gone? I don’t know why.”

“”Everybody, I believe, needs to be removed from Central Bookings and cleaned out and retrained in order for stuff to get done,” said Livingston’s mother, Anita Neal.

Neal remembered what it was like going back and forth trying to locate her child’s body.

“I finally got to see my daughter,” Neal said, weeping. “It was her. She was in the morgue. They wouldn’t even let me touch my child.”

The family also says Mayor de Blasio, who has been heralded as an agent of change, has been mostly unresponsive in this case.

The Guardian reports that Livingston’s death was one of a few hundred  jail deaths across the U.S.

“In 2011, (the latest available numbers) 885 inmates died (pdf) in the custody of local jails, the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics reported,” according to the paper. And this number does not include the inmates who died while in prison.

1. sagee

January 23, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’m glad that the family is demanding answers, and hopefully seeking change to the booking centers current policies.

2. Corbin

January 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm

“Moral americans”? Did he ^ just say “moral americans”? It was her lack of morals that landed her in jail in the first place.

Prison guards do not care about anyone on the floor writhing with pain. They are paid to keep you locked in your cell. Who knows, it could have been a ploy to knock the guard in the head and overpower.

Hey, don’t shoot the messenger…

• Des

January 24, 2014 at 9:06 am

Corbin, you don’t know the circumstances that led this young woman to land in jail. Regardless of what she did, she deserved more than to die on the floor like an animal. Prison guards duties extend much further than keeping an inmTe locked in their cell. Google what the job entails since you seem to be so simple minded.

• BizG

January 24, 2014 at 10:52 am

I agree; I always want to read the “story-behind-the-story.” What all people need to do is be aware of the ills of society, and act accordingly. Sure, she was abused…maybe behind bars…but ya keep ya self OUTSIDE of those bars!!!! Condolences to her family and friends.

• Kmad

January 24, 2014 at 11:41 am

If some women who have been searched, no weapons, can overpower a officer, with other officers in the vicinity mind you Corbin, then he is a punk ass guard. They should ALWAYS check an inmate for various reasons, namely wrongful deaths and lawsuits. You can’t be this Damn ignorant, hopefully it will never happen to you or your loved ones. Never say never, this is such a uncaring, unsympathetic,unfeeling world we live in. I don’t giveca ****why she was in there she should not have died on the damn floor begging for help. PERIOD.

3. Peter Darryl Slaughter

January 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm

As usual not surprised. So ? ? what happen to all this change ?
    Look it’s the type of change going back in time.
    How many incidents of racist,hateful,oppressive abuse is it going to take to wake the black masses up the sleeping giant.
    Will a vast % of black continue to stay passive and mentally sleep to just be quiet and except these incidents as just being normal maybe.

• pg out

January 24, 2014 at 9:50 pm

That’s what the polls are for. Vote those people out that lets things like this go on. VOTE!!!

4. Bert C

January 24, 2014 at 12:06 am

To have an acute attack of an illness in jail can be fatal. I don’t know what the death certificate will say, but the cause of death is Alcoholism. It’ a deadly disease. This has nothing to do with race, it’s about the attitude toward Alcoholism. R.I.P. Ms. Livingston.

5. Ann G.

January 24, 2014 at 11:00 am

A lot of Corrections Officers are too busy screwing some of the inmates to do their jobs such as watching after the ill ones. Within the last month charges have been brought against two female officers here in Ky, they were caught having sex with men inmates. One of the females that was caught worked for state corrections and her husband worked for the city, talking about pathetic!

6. Yvonne

January 24, 2014 at 11:17 am

Patricia that is your Opinion about Our President.
    glad you only one person> And I hope you worth more than a dime.
    Hope God continue to Bless our President

• Kmad

January 24, 2014 at 11:51 am

THANK YOU!!!! President Obama doesn’t have a damn thing to do with this please! Hell I bumped ly toe this morning, Obama’s fault. Kills me how some of my brother’s and sisters blame him for damn near everything but this shit was happening under many white presidents and black mouths were closed tighter than my sphincter. Take that “any reason to blame Obama” crap somewhere else!

7. Charles Micheaux

January 24, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I sure hope Spike Lee is watching the situation and will step forward and lend his voice for his community.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said:

“We should always give voice to the things that matter.”

O.K. Spike the ball is in your court!

See my new Internet TV program: