8 Things You May Not Know about Delta Sigma Theta
by Thaii XP
You might have seen the beautiful colors of Delta Sigma Theta, but what do you know about this prestigious organization? If you’re not a member, you may not know as much as you’d like to know. So, for those who’ve often admired these ladies from afar, here are a few things you must know about Delta Sigma Theta:
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. has over 1,000 chapters located around the world. There are chapters in Germany, Japan, Russia, the Bahamas and many more places, talk about expansion.
- The year 2013 served as the 100th year celebration for the sorority. They celebrated by participating in the Tournament of Roses Parade on January 1, 2013. Delta showcased a float that read, “Transforming Communities through Sisterhood and Service.”
- The official colors of Delta Sigma Theta are crimson and cream.
- “Intelligence is the Torch of Wisdom” is the motto of the sorority.
- January 13, 1913 at Howard University, is the day that Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was founded by 22 women.
- Delta Sigma Theta has special consultative status with the United Nations by becoming a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). This makes them one of three African-American organizations with that status.
- The sorority works to a Five-Point Thrust. These programs are to ensure economic and educational development, international and political awareness with involvement all within the African-American Community.
- Delta Sigma Theta is a part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) with 8 other Greek African-American organizations.