So Sad: Family Gets Robbed Right before Christmas

walkerfam

A family in Atlanta is struggling to find some happiness one of the most joyful times of the year. According to Newsone.com, thieves broke into an apartment of a woman and her four children and stole all of their Christmas gifts just days before the holiday has arrived. Among the gifts that were stolen included an Xbox, cell phone and basketball hoop. The mother, Ebony Walker, had been saving money and buying gifts over the last few months.

“It was very wrong for them to do this. They took from my kids and I worked hard to get them what they needed,” said Walker whose apartment broken into while she was at work.

According to the police report, the suspects used a crowbar to break into the apartment. In addition to the gifts they stole, the robbers also took a rainy day stash of money and two televisions. Walker was not so much upset about the tv being stolen but was angry over the fact that her kids’ gifts were stolen and it would be hard to explain why they have no presents.

The holidays are a joyous time but also a time where a lot of misdeeds can happen as crime tends to rise around this time.  According to the National Retail Federation, retail crime rates increase by 30% during the holiday season. Part of the reason may have something to do with financial problems some may be experiencing.   Not only do retail stores get targeted by criminals but so do homes and people walking the streets. The best thing to do not make items visible in your vehicles as well as locking doors on vehicles and homes.   At the time of the story the suspects have still not been found and no further details have been released on the investigation.

1. tajtmb

December 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I was thinking the same thing Douglas Connor. Her kids do not need an xbox, cell phone and basketball hoop but it is nice when you are able to give them these gifts that they asked for when they have done what you have asked of them and worked to deserve them. They need a roof over their and nutritional food in their bellies to grow properly.

I feel bad that her home was burglarized and the gifts were stolen. People are heartless and those thieves will be theirs in the end. She needs to explain this to her kids that these scrooges stole their gifts but she will do her best to give them the best Christmas possible until she can replace the items she wanted to give to them. Her kids, especially the older ones should understand and hopefully she can once again save up the money to buy them some really nice gifts after the holidays especially when the prices go down.

I wish her and her family the best.

2. corbin56

December 24, 2013 at 3:38 pm

No big deal. I’m sure they got the word out there so some charity can come to their rescue and replace the gifts ten fold before xmas,

• EasyJesus66

December 24, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Ehh.. What Trailer park did you say you grew up in?

3. Devon

December 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

People aint sheit. I feel bad for the family. Wheres the husbaand father of those kids??? he should be replacing the gifts!

4. Devon

December 24, 2013 at 11:13 pm

@ TA Green – exactly what does “redistribution of wealth” mean? Are you implying that money should be taken from the pockets of those who are wealthy due to the education and/ or hard work they put in to acquire wealth….or from those who are wealthy by birth? Not trying to be mean here, but this woman has FIVE kids and no evidence of a man. Maybe she sbould have spent her time putting in the work to create her OWN wealth instead of lying on back having five kids. Do you also advocate redistribution of money from the pockets of people like myself, who put in the work to have a career of choice? Redistribution of wealth sounds MORE like robbing from the rich and giving to the poor.

• tagreen

December 25, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Devon … You are making a lot of assumptions about this family as if you know them intimately … A human approach to redistribution of wealth involves EVERYONE having equal access to opportunity to amass wealth. Currently 10% of the people in the US hold 90% of the wealth…. The rest of the 90% of the people scramble for the remaining 10% of the wealth and people like you think if others are to increase their lot, then yours will decrease …. change your perception… This type of aggressive capitalism cause a profound underclass and guess who comprises that underclass….

• tagreen

December 25, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Oh … and a lot of the $ of the wealthy was not amassed by *hard work* … unless you consider stock investment hard work…. A lot of the wealthy obtain their wealth by paying *hard working people* the lowest of wages while they pocket the profits …. pretty lop sided, don’t you think? ….. You could use a little education by economist Richard Wolff …. educate yourself..

5. Devon

December 25, 2013 at 5:14 pm

@tageeen…1-I saw a mother with five chidren and no man/husband in the picture; 2-I was given stock as a gift from my parents who in addition to “working hard and smart” on my 18th birthday. Since graduating college four years ago bought stock in the the company I’ve been employed with since age 20; in addition I have stock in two other companies. All are doing well. At 25 Im financially sound. So thanks but no thanks for the investment lesson.

• tagreen

December 25, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Devon … You are an exception… most of our people (including myself) are not financially sound. The task is for the masses of Blacks to become financially sound, not particularly in the manner that you have, but sound nonetheless. I’m getting the impression you are complacent and lack empathy for other Blacks … that ok, we’ve always had people in our race like you… My purpose for mentioning Richard Wolff is to introduce his unique perspective on the function of the US economy, NOT to provide you with stock/financial advice. Not interested? that’s ok and is quite consistent with your character…. Let me leave you with this article. This may not apply to you, but IT WILL apply to millions of Black men and if you by chance happen to get caught up in it, humility goes along way….. http://raprehab.com/facts-about-hip-hop-and-prison-for-profit/

• Devon

December 26, 2013 at 12:33 am

@tagreen – People like me?? So you “think” you “know” me based on the comments section of a dayum blog? After stating I felt bad for the woman and her kids I asked 1-where was the father and 2-asked for your interpretation of distribution of wealth. YOU were the one who responded with a snarky attitude and a lecture on stock investments, I didnt ask you all that. Your answer to my question was all I wanted all the “extra” wasnt required.

6. tagreen

December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am

No I don’t know you… just responding to your post… it’s none of your business where the father is … He could have been a at work for all you know …. Just thought I’d give you a few fact regarding who holds the wealth in this country which ties directly into wealth availability for the masses… there is a interrelationship … apparently I struck a nerve…. The point of my post is the children’s lives with x-boxes, cell-phones and b-ball can be substituted with something that can prove to be more meaningful to them now and in the future… your response is just as typical as those posted above … I was hoping for a higher train of thought or the very least a more thought provoking….

7. Devon

December 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm

@tagreen – sorry broh not buying what youre selling. You werent hoping for a highigher anything. You didnt like my comment so you thought you could run your azz in here and lecture and scold me like Im a child. I have PARENT(S) so thanks but no thanks!

8. tagreen

December 28, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m not a Bro … I’m female and I’m probably just as old as your parents, if not older…. I try not to lecture to the young ones, but rather attempt to generate thought provoking dialogue, to take someone’s mind to a place they would not have otherwise. It’s so easy to be a typical mill-of-the run thinker… It’s exceptional to be a critical thinker…. Good luck to ya….