children

Man in Bitter Custody Battle Jumps Off 52-Story Building with 3-Year Old Son

nyc

Police are saying that an ugly custody battle got to be too much for a father who wanted to be with his son.  A man in New York threw himself and his three-year old son off the roof of a building this weekend.  The two dropped 52 stories and died shortly afterward.

Police received a call about two jumpers in the upper west side of Manhattan.  That’s when they found Dmitriy Kanarikov, a 35-year old man from Brooklyn, along with his son on the rooftop.

The man died on the scene, but the boy was pronounced dead at a hospital near the scene of the crime.

According to Auburnpub.com, the child’s mother had custody and his father had visitation rights.  He was supposed to give his son back at the police precinct on Sunday.

Luis Ortiz works at the hospital where they brought the boy.  She said that things looked grim.

“You could tell he was slipping away. They said the father was up there, but they didn’t bring anyone else in. It was just heartbreaking. I have two kids of my own. They tried to do the best they could,” Ortiz told the New York Post.

This is the second time in recent months that such a horrible incident has occurred in New York involving a child.  A few months ago, a Harlem woman jumped to her deαth with a 10-month old baby.  The baby survived, but she did not.  She left a suicide note.

1. debra west

December 23, 2013 at 10:21 am

So sad that that’s what it comes down to……..

• BigWill

December 23, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Men who are responsible, caring and financially secure should be able to raise ‘THEIR OWN’ child. Any man possessing the above mentioned attributes should find it relatively easy to reach a financial agreement with a woman to bare his child and relinquish all rights to the father. Women that are willing to financially benefit from this type of arrangement are easy to find. Men, we use our money to buy everything else- cars, boats, houses why not used your money to get ‘YOUR OWN’ child. Men, stop being suckers to the court system.

• ShaRall

December 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I didn’t read anything in this story about financial support. His beef was about visitation not about money. stop creating false scenarios to prove points, stick to the facts at hand.

2. Read and think!

December 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

The father was wrong. He wanted to hurt the mother and he did. The father didn’t think about his parents, her parents and the child life. May peace be upon both of their human souls.

3. Albert L. Braggs

December 23, 2013 at 12:01 pm

After losing an identical twin daughter to an uncontrolled fever, I found myself escorted out of the household via CPD as per mom’s request. Men and women grieve differently and I found myself in “Child Custody Court” to resolve our issues. I am told this process should take about eighteen(18) months from start to finish. You can’t possibly imagine what it was like for me during my eight (8) year ordeal. Nearly every month, going to court for “continuances,” “status,” “pre-trial hearings” and “write another check!” Hoping this nightmare would end after Christmas, summer, beginning new school year, the lawyers some how manage to perpetuate this system for reasons unknown to me. It was so frustratrating to me, I hired seven (7) attorneys in an eight (8) year period in COOK COUNTY ILLINOIS. Towards the end, as monetary resources dried up, children grew tired of bickering and “best intrests of the child” became a farce the game was over. Please, I have very strong feelings for this subject and understand some of the thoughts of “grieving families. We really need to look at the system that stole much of our time, resources and family reunions. People like this, who earn living via “family destruction” should be ashamed of yourselves. I pray my GOD will take good care of them all. HALLELUYAH!

4. Max

December 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Let us be real here. The system is a mess! I was a single mother of 3 and struggled with my baby father because he was just a deadbeat period. He just mistreated me and our children. But on the flipside I have witnessed many mother’s who mercilessly put good father’s through the ringer, because the system allows it. This man obviously had mental issues the moment he thought and did the unthinkable. But I know of and have witnessed many mother’s who decide to make many father’s pay for whatever the reasons are. Not for once thinking about the effects on the child and the father. We need to look into ourselves, instead of looking into the system to assist. When you have parents who cannot set their selfishness aside and consider the betterment of the children involved you will get many tragic scenarios. Mother’s that feel that by sticking it to the father’s systematically and the father’s that feel it’s okay to shirk their parental obligations need to check themselves. Where are the children supposed to find a sensible and loving parent in the midst of such crazy chaos?

5. Siboniso Ndlovu

December 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm

If you in your warped mind think you are a committed parent and don’t let that child live. why should anyone really measure your own happiness your own worth be really measureable and recognizeable against an innocent child shame on you! Take your own life you selfless worthless irrelevant non-being!

6. ericaf

December 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm

No one knows what was going on between the parents, but the end result is sad all around.

7. Mz. Robust

December 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

These comments about the mother doing the father wrong. Where does it say that the mother refused to give the father his rights? Regardless of what transpired between the mother and the father; none of this had NOTHING to do with the poor 3 yr old. He was an innocent bystander in the whole ordeal. If the father felt like he was wronged, how was killing the child going to solve anything? If he wanted to take his own life, then so be it. He has to answer to God for that. But why would he take innocent child with him?

8. naturebwoy

December 24, 2013 at 3:12 am

it’s not natural for women to have so much control over families and birth. it seems like an unhealthly, unnatural problem and solution in this case.

9. rtripple63

December 24, 2013 at 5:08 am

Men stop trying to rationalize what this father did was out of being denied custody and visitation by the mother’s wickedness or vengefulness. It appears that she and the courts did not do enough to protect this child from its mentally unstable father otherwise the child would be still alive. This is sad for all parties involved but do not try to make the mother a villain. Because if the mother was truly unreasonable, mean and vengeful, there would have been no visitation based on the father’s emotional state and her child would possibly still be alive. Pray for this family and stop trying to place blame on the mother.

10. butchie1955

December 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I can only speak about my own child custody experiences. Things didn’t always go the way I wanted them to, but part of being a MAN is being able to deal with whatever comes your way and handling the situation like a MAN. There is no way in hell I would bring harm to any of my children. I can’t help but think he killed his child to get back at the woman and killed himself so he wouldn’t have to deal with the aftermath. A truly sad and tragic story.

11. kim

December 25, 2013 at 5:21 am

So very true butchie 1955…it is such a tragic story.I read this and I was thinking that if h could not have this child he would make the mother suffer as well but this is such a coward move…the child didn’t deserve to die,,,sad…very sad…