Senator Feels that Single Mothers are One of Our Nation’s Biggest Problems

1 morcol14 ARISTIDE

By Staff Blogger

First, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg suggested that people living in public housing should be fingerprinted. Now a New Jersey Senate candidate is attacking single mothers. If one didn’t know better, it would seem as if poor people have become prime targets for politicians.

Steve Lonegan is a Republican  who is running for the New Jersey Senate. He was recently interviewed by MSNBC’s Steve Kornacki. When asked about some of the issues that are plaguing our nation, he brought up a very sensitive topic: the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

SNAP is a federally-funded program that many people refer to as food stamps. SNAP is intended to help families with food and other nutritional needs. Lonegan shared his belief that single mothers should not have to rely on the government.  He also told the story of how his mother was able to work hard and establish a career as a single mother.

Thinkprogress.com reports, that Lonegan said, “We never had to have SNAP, when I was a kid. Ok, so, this thing that every single mother is the poster child for the welfare state is nonsense… I know a lot of single moms go out to work and do very, very well for themselves.”

He intimates that if his mother was able to do so then so should other women. What he does not address is whether or not his mother had a financial support system or access to other economic venues that some women don’t have privy to.

Lonengan goes on to say that he believes that big government is the reason why so many women have become dependent on the system.  Interestingly, Lonegan did not offer any concrete solutions to address the economic and educational disparities that often force some woman to take advantage of government supplemental programs like SNAP.

1. Brandy Jefferson

August 25, 2013 at 1:33 pm

So I guess the single mothers are asexual and just had the babies themselves? What about the father who left? And when I was a single mother I worked and also had 650 $ a month rent. On top of light and gas bills, plus I did major overtime just so me and my children could have a life. And yea I needed food stamps. How else would I have survived. Oh yea beforr they finally approved me for the SNAP prgrm. I would pay my bills and have $50 left over. I brought food for me to cook at home and went to work to eat. Thank God I worked in a hospital. So theae ppl who talk this ridiculousness need to shut up and try living what they propose. They wouldn’t last 5 mins let alone a year.

• latoya graham

August 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

He shouldn’t shut up. Its not the governments problem if a persons kid eats. Its the mothers problem that decided to have kids without a husband. Having a child is a woman’s choice.If a woman decides on her own to have a kid then it’s her problem. People are getting tired of this whole welfare (I’m a single mom crap). I think its ok for the elderly or disabled(if they are really disabled)to receive help. The black woman that has kid after kid with every Tayvon,Lil Ricky and poochie shouldn’t get anything. lol People make choices in life, and choosing to have a bast-rd kid is a dumb choice. In the future that lil project thug might try and jack me for my Audi.lol

• sob

August 28, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Hopefully they will succeed in your untimely passing you racist pig!

2. erica hayward

August 25, 2013 at 7:07 pm

People in politics gonna say what they want and how they feel but their not the ones in need and they not the ones living in our house and they damn sure not walking in our shoes

3. norris cannon

August 26, 2013 at 2:50 pm

basically, it the SOS blame the poor for suffering enough so that the rich can get richer. it’s obvious whrn mr. Lonegran was be being raised his mother received many opportunities by virtue of being Caucasion. Furthermore there are more white people receiving food stamps then ever before, even those considering themselves middle class.

• Aaron Steinberg

August 26, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Mr. Cannon, there are twice as many gentiles collecting state assistance than African-Americans. Twice as many single mother births than African-Americans. These bummy azz-ed nabisco’s have had social assistance for years. Steve Lonengan is a closet freak and oops’, I’d better not bring this piece of dung down front, Prof. Boyce will dissaprove my post and toss it in the trash can. MOFUNK Lonengan and his birther too!!

• latoya graham

August 27, 2013 at 11:02 am

There are more whites receiving foodstamps because there are more whites than blacks in the world. We are the minority. For every white girl That I process 4 stamps there are 7 black ones.

4. ShielaB.

August 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Politicians like Lonengan are the biggest problem the government systems has to deal. Policticians like him never offer any solutions to what they consider to be a problem, they just spew nonsense and unsubstantiated statistics. The economic and educational disparities that often force some woman to take advantage of government supplemental programs are always caused by some foolish man just like Lonengan.

• latoya graham

August 27, 2013 at 11:05 am

That statement is cr-ap. A person isn’t forced to go down to the welfare office. They go because they want the free stamps to feed kids that they can’t support

5. Kara Cotton

August 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm

You have got to be kidding me! This from a person who salary is more than US soldier.They get paid so much money to sit around and talk nonsense which creates more problems instead of working with all sides to find a solution that is fair for all people. A single mother shouldn’t have to work 3 jobs to provide for her children. Raise minimum wage so everyone can make ends meet without “government assistance” like snap. Wealthy people pay the bare minimum in taxes but everyone else gets taxed up the ass. Stop bailing out millionaires and their companies and help middle and low class families get ahead. Everyday, moving out of this wack ass country is looking more and more appealing to me!

6. Ish Muhammad

August 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I can already tell you Black Family that this Devil Bloomberg is a Satanic Jew from the House of Rothschild! The Name gave away his Game they already run this Monitary system & now want to return us back to the Plantation! Like Derrick would say don’t trust none of these Poli-trickster’s! A Politician will never save Black people they have put us right where they want us in these cutthroat Ghetto Areas!

• Aaron Steinberg

August 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I have no regard for bloomberg, he’s a racist SOB!! And I’ll tell him to his face, kiss my Hebrew Azz!!

7. Meghann

August 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Single motherhood is a problem for the black community because most single mothers are young, unemployed and need help.

Black girls are not the only ones getting pregnant. As a matter of fact more white girls are having babies out of wedlock for black boys than boys of their own race.

The problem is that white girls can get help but black girls are dehumanized and help is restrictive.

It would just be better if they delayed having children until they are in a better position to aid their child/children…the government will not help you unless forced.

Sad situation!

• Aaron Steinberg

August 26, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Meghann, I put more blame on African-American males as to unwed mothers!! The problem, brothers want to ride bare-back instead of buying protection as my neighbor says “rain coat”! If you really care for a sistah, than protect her in the bed as well as on the street. Damn, a brother can’t buy a box of condoms, if he can’t the sistah should have them and don’t let him get a whiff of goodies until he covers up. Enough said. And, oh yeah, too many brothers dipping here and there and a few going up the hershey highway, packin’ fudge….STD’s & HIV!!!
      A. Steinberg

8. ana

August 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm

If they would only Limit The Terms,Age Limit Requirements and Cut the Salaries of these Shysters and Robin Hoods in our Congress and Senate, then maybe The People would finally Get The Representation that We All Deserve…Single Mothers shouldn’t have to Rely on Food Stamps and Welfare if there were Plenty of Good Decent Livable Wage Jobs,Affordable Healthcare,Good Housing and Decent Schools Available,in The Good Ol’e U.S.A.

• latoya graham

August 27, 2013 at 11:12 am

What kind of job should a person without a GED get? I’m with Bill Cosby on this 1 “blacks make life harder that it needs to b”. The government needs to stop these programs. If a young unwed mom knew that she wasn’t able 2 get help from the gov. I bet the bast-rd kid rate would drop 50%.

9. sheila J

August 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Some single mothers are not single buy choice. Some of this is also generational. Most women just want to be loved by a man. That desire is somewhat/half heartily…maybe not at all is met at all cost. Some may not consider that the child will ultimately suffer with the likes of being poor.

I say give them a break…I hope no one wants to be poor.

• latoya graham

August 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

How many years do we continue to give single moms breaks? If they want love,love yourself or go get a cat. Look at the projects and neighborhoods in the inner cities it’s a disgrace.

10. Corky J

August 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm

It”s becoming old, and I am getting sick and tried of these Republicans attacting the poor. All Republican person’s should take an humanitarian class and learn some common sence. I suggest, that we as the people, for the people vote these assholes out of office, and vote someone in that has a heart, and care about the people who live within.

• Kerri

August 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Maybe keep your legs together, get an education, apply yourself, and you won’t be poor. Kids cost money. Don’t have them if you can’t support them YOURSELF.

11. gigi

August 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Did he say anything about black women??? But really, black girls/women are having too many children out of wedlock. Stop acting like its cute when a young person gets pregnant. This has become the norm rather than the exception because its socially acceptable. The economy is in the toilet and we’re still breeding, please!!!! Some of these problems we bring on ourselves.

12. rubyfromnj

August 27, 2013 at 9:44 am

Is he including the celebrity single mothers? Just asking, because, if he isn’t, then he is racially profiling young black women.

13. latoya graham

August 27, 2013 at 11:19 am

73% of black kids are born into a single parent home. It’s not profiling when its true. Black folks aren’t entitled to anything free, that’s our problem now. Stop looking to the white man to save black people it’s not their job

14. Jackie

August 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I agree and I am a Single mother, but not because I chose to be

15. Kerri

August 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Most single mothers receive some sort of public assistance. Yes, they are a burden to society.

16. Charlina

August 28, 2013 at 8:43 am

I’m not a mom or anything & I’m 29yrs old & black. I just feel yes some women do put their self in this situation especially when you know the boy you with ain’t sh*t. I get foodstamps but not because I want too I’d rather work for my stuff. I have Lupus and extreme inflammatory authritis so it’s times I can’t even get out of bed. I stop working when my body got f**ked up. I wish black people would understand that nobody cares how many children you have just know the whites don’t wanna help us regardless of how hard it is. Stop taking work for granted because one day that’s all you’re gonna have to support yourself. Also start being parent because under age pregnantcy isn’t cute eduation is more important then sex. If you ask me sex is over rated and is getting out of hand in black communities. I just want us to want to do better.

17. Self Reflection

August 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

I don’t agree with this Senator’s approach but I find that its hard, particularly for African Americans, to look inward.

I hear on this panel that a lot of women didn’t choose to be single mothers and I have to challenge that statement because most likely you did choose to lay down with a man before he put a ring on it.

So it does come down to choice. You made the choice to be with a man that was not willing to try to make a commitment through the institution that God has specially created for us. Its a epidemic in our community that needs to be addressed and we can’t get all sensitive if someone calls us on the carpet about it. Instead see if there is any virility to what is being said. We as women have to take our power back and make these men commit or hit the road. To be guided strickly by your desires is self destructive behavior. We have to think about the consequences of our actions and stop repeating this vicious cycle.

18. Peace

September 2, 2013 at 5:52 am

I have always been worried that welfare,voucher, section eight, food stamps and the rest are getting into the hands of the wrong people. I Know numerous fathers who are not taking care of their children but living with other women who will have their children and move on to another and do the same and the goverment is paying. Who is the goverment? We the people. If we have jobs, our taxes go up to take care of these bad choices in so many different ways- Foster Care,school and day care vouchers,food stamps, section eight and more. I am not coming down on those parents who are not abusing the system and really need the help until they can do better. I am speakkng of the repeat offenders taking away help from the elderly, sick and other with health circumstances.

Here is another thing that’s confusing…… Why aren’t these mega churches take care of the people or thier families? I think the non tax paying churches should step in and take on most of this load and these women should not have to be members but must follow the right guidlines, stop sleeping around and having more babies. Take advantage of training for single parents. Vouchers for day care should only be used if the single parent is going to school or working. There are plenty of scholships out there that will help these single mothers get into school. The blame game is getting old. Why keep putting yourself in bondage. You are helping to form the new age plantation. I feed you house you and give you spending money, I own you and you live by my rules. Self destruction is in play here and it will continue as long as you put yourself in the position to be owned. If you don’t believe me, just keep breathing.

19. cambie

September 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

The number of black children born out of wedlock is one of our biggest problems. I was born out of wedlock and spent my early years as a ward of the state. I lived in a foster home. How can we compete when so many of our children are left to fend for themselves. The senator was sexist. He needs to address unmarried fathers as well. Our families need to get stronger. No one within the AA community seems to think that this is an important issue.The senator may be hateful but he is somewhat correct.