Zimmerman Walks, While Mother Serves 20 Years after Firing Warning Shots for Protection

weop1

Last night, a national tragedy occurred when George Zimmerman was allowed to walk free after killing Trayvon Martin. The nation is outraged over the case, but experts are not surprised.  Dr. Boyce Watkins and Russell Simmons have been fighting against the mass incarceration epidemic, highlighting cases of injustice around the country.

One case is that of Marissa Alexander, a mother who has been sent to prison for 20 years in Florida, the same state that Trayvon Martin was killed.   Not only was Alexander in the same state as Trayvon, she also had the same prosecutor as George Zimmerman.  But unlike the Zimmerman situation, the prosecution didn’t throw the case against Alexander and allow the defendant to walk free.

Maria Lloyd at KultureKritic.com writes about the case of Alexander.  In light of what happened last night to Trayvon Martin and his family, we must always remember that there is a Trayvon in every city, and these Trayvons are both male and female:

A little over four months ago,  a Florida judge sentenced 31-year-old Marissa Alexander to 20 years in prison for three charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Alexander  fired a gun into the air in an attempt to scare her violent husband, who’d gone into a rage after reading text message exchanges between Alexander and her ex-husband. “That’s when he strangled me. He put his hands around my neck,” Alexander said.

In a desperate attempt to save her life, she broke from his grip and ran into the garage to flee the home in her car. Allowing her panic to get the best of her, she forgot to grab her keys and couldn’t open the garage door. Alexander found one solution that could save her from her crazed husband. “I knew I had to protect myself,” she said. “I could not fight him. He was 100 pounds more than me. I grabbed my weapon at that point.”

READ MORE AT KULTUREKRITIC.COM

1. dottie brockington

July 14, 2013 at 10:52 am

Unbelievable can that sentence be over turned ?

2. dottie brockington

July 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

This judge abused his powers and if I might guess the judge had to be white…. no one should be given this much authority over man’s life….. this is the time when the courts should have used better judgment and and sound discretion …. I’m really starting to feel some type of way about our justice system…. well I guess this is another sign Jesus soon to return…..

3. Louis Murphy

July 14, 2013 at 11:23 am

What can you expect in Florida which is the New Racist Zionist South Africa of America? I lived in Orlando, Florida from 1993 to 2005 and you couldn’t pay me enough money to return to that backward racist ass state

4. Louis Murphy

July 14, 2013 at 11:29 am

This is the same retarded state that let Casey Anthony walk after her little daughter killed himself stuffed herself in a trash bag and hopped into the woods to hide her own dead body. Just being sarcastic but you get the picture

5. No Justice.

July 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I have followed both of these cases and there is NO JUSTICE.
    There are other cases, where the killer has been found not guilty and others where the victims were given extensive sentences, that were not anywhere comparable to the charges.
    I will not list all the names, but women have been incarcerated far more for defending themselves and I think AA women numbers are the highest.
    I read these stories and I shudder.
    I have written comments and sometimes feel, it the only way to vent.
    The Department of Civil Rights,has started a petition in the case of George Zimmerman.
    When Ms.Alexander, was sentenced, there was an outcry and petitions, She is still in prison.
    The current picture of her, would lead one to think she is out and doing ok. Put the real picture of her, in her prison clothes and let the public know, what is happening.
    Recently, a plea went out for the prisoners and families who are on the hunger strike. Some of those prisoners are Killers. and not by alleged self-defense.
    We must execute our Civil Rights , petition, write to congress, lobby,caucus or whatever it takes to bring the reality or the diaparity of our Judical system to accountability.
    I am not advocating letting the real criminal go free or to be released,but this is a genocide in our country towards AA and perhaps Hispanics and other minorities.
    I wish I were a lawyer and could represent these innocent people.
    It has been a long knowledge, that the state of Florida, TExas,Miss, and perhaps Calif, are some of the leading injustices towards AA.
    I do not want to bad mouth every state or every criminal case, because there are some judges and juries and lawyers, who do believe in Truth.
    I can not believe that George Zimmerman acted in self defense, the facts speak the truth.
    In Ms.Alexander’s case, I can see her protecting herself. She was found guilty, because it was stated that she knew the gun was in the garage and intended to harm her husband.
    Violence is violence and it is on the uprise in this country.
    Hatred, abuse, killings are seemingly the norm.
    I worry about the younger generations and what will their lives be like, if they even get to adults.
    Recently, a young mother was shot several times in front of her young children.
    A teenager was beaten by the police and humiliated to walk ,apparently without clothes through a crowded restaurant.
    Young mothers are being incarcerated for protecting themselves and their children.
    We wonder, why there is so much violence and hatred, well think about what situations you have witnessed, that could have turned you into a hater or violent person.
    I got on facebook a year ago and have read about violence, killings, drugs,police brutality,politicalnrest, religious unrest, the ills of the entertainment world. national and international issues.
    I do not even read the newspapers, because there is so much violence and injustice.
    I want to continue to believe this is not a bad country,but I am losing hope in the change.
    I do believe, there are good people and those who want to keep the judicial system pure.
    It is hard to have faith, when someone gets off from killing a young teenager in the plea of self-defense, The facts speak for themselves.
    Why did George Zimmerman get out of that truck in the first place.
    what was this young man doing that made him look suspicious.
    Wearing a hoodie is not a reason to suspect someone.
    Sad as it is, this is not the first case like this one.
    We are losing all the efforts of the Civil Rights movement,
    Does our Constitution stand for nothing? or only for those of a certain ethnic background.
    I want to believe that I am safe, that my neighbors are safe, that our families and children are safe.
    I want to believe that those who do harm to others, will get their punishment,
    I want to believe that those who take the oaths to uphold the rights of others are honest and abiding public servants, of which our taxes dor the most part pay.
    We have private prisons, that house a majority of minority inmates,We have exclusive rehab centers for those who can afford to buy their lesser sentences.
    Where are the lawyers, ministers, politicians, judges, jurors, etc who still believe in Justice.
    I am not saying that every public official is corrupt, but it is getting hard to know the difference in those who are honest and have integrity and those who do not.
    Is it power, money, control or just pure hatred.
    We need to look at those who are elected or appointed or trained to serve this country.
    What will the younger generations think or how will they act, when they are growing up in a world that seems to continue to favor the elite.
    I thank GOD that my life has been one free of experiencing some of these acts against humans. I am however of the baby boomer generation and was proud and still am, to add the Civil Rights Movement to my story. I did not grow up ignorant to these acts against humans and for the most part, felt the outcries.
    What have we gained, if we allow our efforts and movements to be turned backwards.
    When 911 happened, every ethnic group came together.Was that a false hope that we would continue to up hold our Pledge to Allegience, Our Preamble,Our Constitution, Our own “In GOD WE TRUST”
    I am tired of praying and having memorials and looking for The Change,
    What happened to AMERICA, LAnd of the FREE and Brave.
    How many wars do we have to continue to fight, to live a life free of hatred.
    Perhaps, I have misguided hope, Perhaps, I live in a idealistic world.
    Perhaps, I have buried my head, as so many of us have.
    I read all this on face book and it enrages me.
    I am one person and yes my vote and voice should count.
    I do not advocate violence and even with all the injustices, I still want to believe that this a great country, not just for the upper upper upper class.but for all people.
    I feel George Zimmerman was used and he fell unbeknowing into a trap of heroic falseness.
    I feel he needs professional help and not by his peers,
    What will he do, now that his gun has been returned, Is he better than the American who protects themselves or families with a gun.
    He killed this teenager and without a second thought.
    Whatever caused the death of this young man, I am sure, he also was in a self defense situation. who will be the next victim, Who next will try to prove that His actions were in self defense, yet trying to prove he or she is a hero.

Whatever the jury used for their verdict, I pray that they can sleep.
    Perhaps, they are George Zimmerman’s in disguise.
    Is Geroge Zimmerman also going to keep his job,but moved to another neighborhood.
    Neighborhood security is usually a private owned company or someone who lives in that neighborhood.
    Neighborhood Watch, watched this young man get killed and that is what they did,watched.
    TRAYVON, is the Hero and his life will not be forgotten. We must remember all these young people who have lost their lives to violence and guns. We must also form our own neighborhood watches, because it is happening in every city.even my own.
    I want to pray and ask that George Zimmerman, will understand his actions and that because he has been found not guilty, does not give him the right to do it again. He is not a hero,but a young man,who needs help!!.
    May God give Peace to this family.
    I lost a brother,to a stabbing in the state of Florida. His killer, a 54 year old man, got 20 years, That has never set right with me.
    I know that we cannot correct every wrong,but my brother like so many others, was truly minding his own business and because of jealousy,of someone, who could have been a mentor, but turned into a killer,lost his life at the age of 24.
    I do not feel that grief,but I know what our parents and family went through.
    Perhaps, Geroge Zimmerman, experienced similar situatins in his life, but he did not have to take it out on this young man,
    What ifm he had had on a white hoodie or was of a lighter complexion, or if George Zimmerman had been in another neighbor, with the same situation. I wonder.
    I ask God that he have mercy on Geroge Zimmerman and that he can turn his life into being a better person.
    None of our comments, outcries or otherwise, will bring TRAYVON MARTIN or any others back.
    I wonder if the man who attacked his wife, has changed,when she is released, if in 25 years, her life will be ruined, as well as her children. What has happened to them and all the other families
    We must put our money and voices to better training, for counseling and background checks before people are allowed to be a public servant.
    we must understand that rehab, means nothing, if a person goes back to the same environment, without understanding, that the doors revolve to prison, hatred does not go away.
    We have lost the compassion, for these children, who face violence very day. Our public institutions are overcrowded and understaffed.
    Prisons are billion dollar institutions. What happens when no one ever gets professional help. When they are released, where are they going.
    No jobs, no self esteem, so back to a secure environment, however bad it may be.
    Why is it that over 85% of inmates are AA, or within a quota of Hispanics, some Asians,
    Not to say that others are not in prison,but the percentages are far greater for AA.
    How many other ethnic women are incarcerated for trying to protect themselves.
    We have come too far, to turn around.
    These comments are based on the article, but it is to address all these injustices.
    There are so many issues that could be addressed,but this has been in the national media.
    Greed, Power, Control and Hatred brew violence and genocide.
    I would like to think that LOVE and Peace and Humanity still prevail,but it is getting harder each day to believe in that HOPE and Change.
    I would like to know What our national leaders are saying and to whom.
    A petition has been started for the Dept of Justice:Civil Rights. I hope and pray that Attorney General Eric Holder will do more than look bewildered.
    I pray that our national President will address the disparity of the justice system.
    I pray that this one child’s life,but also all who are killed at the hands of so called protectors,were not in vain and that we will take a stand for justice.
    I shake when I think any one of these children, young adults, could be my family.
    I feel, we are going to think about the WHAT;IFs.
    May God have Mercy on this country.
    These stories are heartbreaking.yet we can not ignore them.
    My prayers are with each family and that these acts of violence do not cause some to take revenge.
    This is a means to genocide a race. We must wake up!

• No Justice.

July 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I meant to say,I do not still feel the grief of my brother’s death,but it has left a void in our lives.
      I was outraged at the sentencing that the killer got and if he is still alive, may in fact have killed someone else.

When writing my comments, often my hands go faster than my keys or vice versa, so please overlook any errors.
      I am at the point of not commenting anymore,but I seem to get some relief in doing so.
      Face book is a means to express ourselves, but it does not take the place of action, legal action, through the courts. through legislations, through our Constituitonal Rights, which we have had to fight so long, to even be considered worthy of its rights.

6. Jessie M Edwards

July 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Never doubted for one minute that he was going to be found not guilty! That idiot prosecutor had no intentions of winning that case. After all, they never wanted to arrest or charge him. I was just praying that our people would not riot after the verdict.

7. Frankie

July 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Everyone should read this book: American Frankenstein – How the United States Created a Monster! It explains it all!. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1450085695/ref=aw_d_img_back_books

8. Andrea

July 14, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Where is the outrage in this case and other cases that long sentences was given out. There is a double standard and has always been.

9. CATHIA

July 14, 2013 at 4:31 pm

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME REPLY ..GOD BLESS TO NO JUSTICE I LOVE YOUR REPLY7 THE TRUTH HAS FOR ME I WAS NOT SURPRISE EITHER …PEACE

10. George E Ferguson

July 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Please remember that the President can ONLY pardon people who are in FEDERAL prisons convicted of FEDERAL crimes. He could not free this woman even if he wanted to.

11. Weslin1

July 15, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I am upset about this whole thing. This is absolutely crazy. This the America we live in; what are we to do? I can’t believe this all has happen. What a turning point in this country. This is not over even if the Justice Department does not do what they should do. God will have the last say. It’s not over!!! I’m a minister I trust God will avenge this murder. I have no doubt, He will avenge this murder. It’s still upsetting. But I also want to say we ( us African Americans) need to bond together. Our young people need to stop killing each other. House is anyone going to take us seriously if we keep killing each other at the drop of a hat? Guns are not our answer. God is real people, keep praying His will be done in all our lives!!!

12. Weslin1

July 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

This is so unfair what has happen to this mother. They say justice is color blind; that’s a flat out lie. When it comes to us (African Americans) we know better. No whiter mother would be going to jail at all. America was built on racism how can we forget this? We can not be tricked, fooled or bamboozled. So wake up and keep your eyes wide open. We have to fight the system; used law against their laws.

13. Biodun Beck

July 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I am strongly believing that the USA is fast becoming a FAILED STATE.

14. lewis

July 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thank you for your article, it is extremely useful, is sure to try to experiment what you have got indicated… there is only one point I want to speak about in more detail, I wrote an email to your handle about it.

15. car accident valencia ca

May 15, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.
    I am quite sure I will learn a lot of new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

Feel free to surf too my blog: car accident valencia ca