Beauty

Lauryn Hill Explains Her Actions in an Open Letter from Prison

lauryn-hill

Reported By: Britt L

Grammy award winning artist Lauryn Hill wrote a letter from prison in response to the support she’s received from fans during her time behind bars. The ex-Fugees star began her three-month sentence for tax evasion on July 8th. The letter was posted to her tumblr.com page by Lauryn’s team, and says:

“Ms. Hill has received a of lot mail, and would like to let everyone know that she is doing well.  She also asked me to pass along this message:

‘I have known since very young to look for the purpose and lesson in everything, including the trials.  Although it has taken some adjustment, I cannot deny the favor I have encountered while in here, and general warm reception from a community of people who despite their circumstances, have found unique ways to make the best of them.  Thank you for the letters of concern and well wishes that I receive in the mail every day. Although I may not be able to write everyone back, please know that they have been received, read, acknowledged, and appreciated. With Love back, MLH.’”

In the letter, the 38-year-old singer and song writer personally includes specific fans names in the letter. She also sends a special thanks to “ [those] people for their words of encouragement and support.”

Hill is kept away in federal prison, however she is not held in a maximum security facility. The singer is currently in Danbury, Connecticut. She resides in an open dormitory-style living quarter and working jobs such as maintenance, food service or landscaping.

On May 6, 2013, Hill was sentenced by Judge Arleo to serve in prison for three months for tax evasion and will face three months house arrest afterwards as part of a year of supervised probation. Lauryn failed to file returns on earnings from 2005 to 2007 — totaling $1.8 million.

Before her incarceration, Lauryn made a statement on Tumblr addressing the reason for her imprisonment:

“I went underground and had rejected pop culture’s “climate of hostility, false entitlement, manipulation, racial prejudice, sexism and ageism.” She added that, “When I was working consistently without being affected by the interference’s mentioned above, I filed and paid my taxes. This only stopped when it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family.”

Lauryn has had a rough time of it since her fall from musical grace.  She spent several years in seclusion, making some people wonder about her mental health.  She later said in court proceedings that she hid from the public because she feared for her life.  Millions of fans have waited for years for Lauryn to release new music, but have only been met with extreme disappointment.  The soulful superstar that people loved back in the 1990s has become only a shadow of herself, with fans being highly disappointed with her shows and her songs not selling the way they used to.

We pray for Lauryn, wish her the best, and hope that she can one day recapture her former glory.  To us, she will always be one of the great ones.

1. Sultry

July 22, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Ms. Hill,inspite of it all, I pray and hope that you do not forget that you have true fans out here waiting your return fully to the music scene. Please use thsi time to reflect and inspire the ladies around you. You are blessed and so with this I beg of you dont let this get you down. This too shall pass,much love. You will rise again.

2. Wake Up My People

July 23, 2013 at 9:08 am

I’ve been promised everything and anything I wanted….if I had just ‘sign here’. I looked at that pope and told him “No, Im a son of God.” He morphed into something to frighten me but I sat firm and he disappeared. I woke up. It always starts as a dream…then it manifests into reality. They enhance your already natural ability/talent…make you famous…then snatch it all away when you realize you’re being controlled by their means and agenda..and you want to break free…alive. It’s doable but NEVER simple, never easy. They’ll make you look crazy and you will be. So we learn that if we’re going through hell, to keep going! Call on the most high God deep within your soul and get cleaned! It hurts like hell because it is! It took TWO years to finally have my name ‘released’ from the black list…to live my own life without being denied everywhere I went. We’re not all singers and rappers. Some of us have abilities from beyond this world, and if we didn’t do what the Gods of this world wanted (darkness) then we were ‘punished’ all sorts of ways. Lauryn, and all the others like myself, wear your white robes proud because as they said in graduation, “You earned it.”

• Kenyatta

July 23, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Its obvious to me that you’re a person of Fame. I’m an artist(like Picasso). We definitely share some of the same beliefs.

3. jen

July 23, 2013 at 10:42 am

Lauryns not a shadow of herself – her last concert in london at proud o2 was off the chain and everyone loved it, she had a band and switched up the style into something really futuristic, rapping double time and using rock guitar and reverb and stuff. Don’t believe the hype Lauryn is still a gr8 performer and has not fallen from musical grace – millions still prefer her music to much commercial contemporary rap.

• Christian Schutz

July 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

Agreed! She’s now a total bandleader reworking her classics à la Bob Dylan. The results take concertgoers on an adventurous journey.

4. ajamu chaminuka

July 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

I support and love Lauryn Hill!

5. corbin56

July 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm

First off, there is nothing all that great about Lauryn Hill. She is just another chick who can sing (I guess) Second of all, just kick back and relax and do your little 4 months and shut up. Last but not least, pay your darned taxes and stop making up excuses. Everytime someone felt threatened and don’t pay their taxes, 87% of the population would be incarcerated. Give me a effin break.

• DJ

July 24, 2013 at 8:39 am

To each its own. You have a right to your opinion and so do her fans.

• jo

July 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

You be damned…you want to get cursed out…lol…will that make you feel special?

6. William Miller

July 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Lauryn Hill I think the only reason she was sent to prison because of her excellent critic of this Fascist Racist system. We love her dearly .I’m waiting patiently for mew music. Love You

• jo