News

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Youngest Son Ties The Knot

By  |
Martin Luther King Jr.s son Dexter King and Leah Weber King married on Friday.

Dexter King and Leah Weber King

Dexter King, the youngest son of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King, tied the knot with his longtime girlfriend Leah Weber in a private ceremony in California on Friday. Christine King Farris, matriarch of the King family, did not attend the private wedding; however, she said Dexter called her on Saturday to share the good news. “He said, ‘Aunt Chris, I’ve finally taken the step. Leah and I are married,’ ” Christine Farris told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “I am real pleased that they have gotten together and I wish them all the best. His parents would be very pleased for him.”

The Kings seem to be excited about welcoming Weber into their family. Dexter’s cousin, Isaac Newton Farris, Jr. said of Weber: “Leah is a welcome addition to the family.” Rev. Alveda King, another relative, added: “We love and appreciate her and pray God’s blessing on the happy couple.” Isaac Farris said King and Weber met several years ago in New Orleans when Weber hosted a book-signing for “Growing Up King: An Intimate Memoir.” The bride, a New Orleans native, is a former broadcast journalist and business owner. On her Tumblr page, the bride now goes by Leah Weber King.

Dexter, known for being private, is the second of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King’s four children to tie the knot. According to a statement, the newlyweds plan to live in Malibu, Calif., where King has lived for a number of years. Dexter currently serves as chairman of the King Center.

Congratulations to the happy couple!

What's Your Thoughts

Loading Facebook Comments ...

1. avatar

maurice fields

July 16, 2013 at 9:50 am

True love is hard to find. When you think you have found it grab it with both hands and never let go. May GOD bless your union and your home.

2. avatar

M. Hunter

July 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

interesting, white america killed his father, he goes and marry a white woman, interesting.

betty

July 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

It was also a white man. That stood by guy father martin. Help alot black folks.

Jeanette Gaston

July 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm

So True! WOW!

Beautiful Girl

July 18, 2013 at 12:56 am

…RIGHT!!!!…i’m like WTF..?..MLK is ROLLIN IN THE DAMN GRAVE!

ItsRoni

August 31, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Agreed! They say she is black. He found himself the whitest black person he could find. smh

ItsRoni

August 31, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Truth!

Janice Mclean

September 3, 2013 at 7:03 am

First of all you need to listen the Rev. Martin Luther King speeches. If his son or daughter decided to marry out of their race I’m sure he would be proud just as long as it was a marriage based on love and happiness.

2nd of all his wife is not white. STUDY YOUR FACT BEFORE OPENING UP A CAN OF WORMS

3. HAVE A BLESSED DAY

janebadon

September 3, 2013 at 8:29 pm

she’s not white, she a new orleans creole, read frenchcreole.com

3. avatar

Jfe

July 16, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m glad that he went on “ahead” and got married, because he had been in a relationship a long time. As a matter of a fact, none of King’s children got married really early in life. So I wish him the best.

4. avatar

chinee

July 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

Listen up, Black Women. Black men are interested in white women so we better get interested in white men if we want a relationship.

Scope

July 16, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Oh shut up!
      How many good eligible black men have you likely shooed away in the past week?

5. avatar

Vel

July 16, 2013 at 11:33 am

FYI: The bride is African American.

6. avatar

Eaen

July 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm

lol. it’s FUNNY how some people don’t know their own and probably haven’t been three blocks from the spot they were born. this woman is clearly Black. smh.

7. avatar

Earl

July 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm

….a color photo would have helped identify her race

8. avatar

tiamette

July 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I don’t care about her race or him as a matter of fact. His father did great things for the African American community. I don’t really know much about this man, his claim to fame is due to his father’s legacy. Tough act to follow. I hope he and his new wife will be very happy.

9. avatar

Thelma Williams

July 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Best of luck to them.None of the King children did as I would have liked to see them do to be off to such a good start.Both parents were educated and served the community.Dr. King finished college at 15yrs and PhD at about 25.Everyone knows he was a word smith and mother was a trained opera singer that gave up her career to marry Dr.King and adopt his work.Anyone marrying in these times I wish them well.

10. avatar

Weslin1

July 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Great for them. His parents would be proud. God bless them!!!

11. avatar

My Name Is EL

July 17, 2013 at 8:00 am

The king family is a disgrace. This just shows what the whole “holding hands with little white boys and white girls” was about to begin with. “Dr” Coon, I mean King himself was reported to have “johned-up” white prostitutes. Let the classified files be open! Why has the king family fought all these years to keep them secret?! That fake dream of his was nothing more than to make miscegenist sex more accessible.

For all you black KKKristians (who are nothing more than honorary klan members and puppets of white supremacy). I’ll have you know that Dr. Martin Luther King was prophesied in the bible as being a FALSE prophet worthy of death. Don’t believe me? Get a King James version and read Jeremiah 23:25-27. It was in your faces the whole time!

Even king before his death noted that integration WAS and IS a grave mistake. Here is his direct quote: “I fear that I am integrating my people into a burning house.” – MLK jr.

Now if that isn’t recoiling from the dream of integration, I don’t know what is.

frank

September 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

You as a white racist have something in common with the same person who is a black racist; IGNORANCE. Maybe the two of you can get together and give each other a BIG hug. You both need it!!

12. avatar

latoya graham

July 19, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’m so disappointed in MLK son. A white lady, so many blacks are lost. I’ve always thought he was gay any way so I’m really not surprised

frank

September 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

If a black person is lost because of the marriage of someone else, then we as a people need JESUS more than we think. How can you allow something so trivial to hinder your spirit? Your only concern should be,”is my soul prepared for CHRIST’S return?” Are you leading the life CHRIST wants you to lead? Remember: prejudice has no place in GOD’S kingdom.

13. avatar

Shirley Quinn

July 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

If he was from an Ordinary Heritage, White Girl would not be linked nor married to this son of Our Great King!!! This Son, it seems to be Ordinary however, he moves in an empty space, as the child of the Civil Rights Leader… Never, almost never honoring the Legacy of his Father. Really, Honestly, Its so Sorry to Marry White… Interesting, Words from Dr. King/your father involved in A Burning Situation. The lack of sound Integrity, Decent Concern, what is Proper & Appropriate. His father left empty and separate places for his children to build on allowing them a chance to grow,and to carry on some types of beautiful quests, some duty, some words, some responsibility of self and people who need direction.; Black People… Not to erect a White Woman and her family… for History to record, Dexter, had no Struggle nor Direction in his life, but shares is Life with a white wife. ( I got a mountain Problem with that . We will in Reality never be equal because of people like Dexter, Why Be A No Show; Why not be a symbol of Why His father gave his Life… (He Fought and Died for Blacks, Not for you to be a Ghost on the landscape of Democracy; and marry askew.. All of them (King Children) are consumed with the ordinary Asset/ Greed; in Court Fighting over MONEY, So no one Works & Earn a Living; how disgraceful and enjoy the Sheer Comfort of Goods & Services that neither of them worked for!!! The best of King died… The Daughter… Rest Her Soul…

14. avatar

Lady K

August 28, 2013 at 12:49 am

His wife is African American. The remarks about her being white shows how far we’ve really come in this country when we have a problem with who others choose for a mate. Black, white, yellow, green, brown, rainbow color, whatever, He’s happy, she’s happy. That settles it! We don’t always agree with others and the choices they make, but we must respect those choices as you would want others to respect yours.

joy piggee

September 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

True

15. avatar

Stephanie M Nation

August 31, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Color picture please

16. avatar

nana

August 31, 2013 at 11:51 pm

that woman is clearly black. you need to look again. she’s from new orleans

17. avatar

Cris le Maitre

September 1, 2013 at 12:12 am

Dexter’s wife is black.Congrat’s to both of them.

18. avatar

Shirley Thomas

September 1, 2013 at 1:52 am

For those complaining about her being white: If you resd the “I Have A Dresm Speech” You would remember that Dr. King stated “The vontent if their chsracter and nit the color of their skin

19. avatar

Shirley Thomas

September 1, 2013 at 1:55 am

Please excuse my typo’s. It should read: The content of their character, and not the color of their skin.

20. avatar

Jackson

September 1, 2013 at 2:40 am

This country killed his father,and he grows up and marry the grandaughter of the people who plotted and killed his father. Our people can say what they want to say about white people. They don’t forget what was done to them by other Europeans i.e. The Jewish people. They don’t beg other Euopeans to teach their children their history. White children from wealthy families or generational wealth can’t marry nothing black and nothing that looks black i.e. The Buffets,The Trumps,The Clintons,The Vanderbilts, The Gates, The Zuckerbergs, The Waltons aka Wal-mart, The Koch aka The Koch Brothers, The Mars, The Cargillis, The Cox, The Johnsons, The Dupont, The Hearst, The Mellon etc. At the end of the day you have to respect that.

21. avatar

Vanessa Lowder

September 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm

First of all, the woman is clearly of some African heritage… but the real question here is: If Dr. King was a man who preached unity of ALL races, and embracing every living human as your brother/sister… what damn difference would it make if she were white? Seems like you love the messenger, but you missed the message… smh

22. avatar

Dwight Taylor

September 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm

The ignorance I see in some of these pathetic postings make me wonder about many things, particularly, the direction of America, The Melting Pot of the world.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a man who made the supreme sacrifice for inclusion of blacks in the equation of equality, a man whose love for humanity was reciprocated with universal love from around the globe and a man whose Dream consisted of a vision of a colorblind society, is probably rolling in his grave with uncontrollable anger about the mentality of humans.

23. avatar

Denise Gonzales

September 4, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Please! …..Stop operating out of such a narrow frame of reference. Louisiana Creole people ARE Black. We come in all shades/degrees of color from the whitest of white, to the blackest of black…..and that is true in each family, not just in the culture itself. Both of my parents are Black and there is a big “N” on my birth certificate(born in the ’50s.) I know who I am and I love who I am. I have never ever been tempted to “pass” or “passon blanc”, as it was called back when I was growing up. I know who my Mama and Daddy are;and my Daddy’s Daddy and my Great Grandfather were as black as any other African American walking the streets of Detroit or Harlem. Learn OUR (Black folk’s) history and stop being so judgmental. Who might we ALL BECOME IF WE SHOWED MORE UNDERSTANDING AND LOVE ; HOW MUCH FURTHER COULD WE GO IF WE EMBRACED ONE ANOTHER AND LEARNED TO RELY ON THE WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE WE COULD, AND SHOULD SHARE, NO MATTER HOW LIGHT MY SKIN OR EYES ARE.
    New Orleans Louisiana Creole Always-Proud Black woman always!
    Peace and SOLIDARITY!

24. avatar

Carolyn M.

September 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Congrats! Is hethe only King child to marry? Which King is the parent of the child that rang the bell last week in Washington?