Celebrities

Jaden Smith Tells His Dad that He Wants to be Emancipated from His Parents

eopewpowe

Jaden Smith, the son of Will and Jada, is growing up very fast.  The young man is the product of a family that has a unique parenting style, which leads fans to both applaud and condemn their style of parenting.   If the other strange stuff got your goat, this one surely will too.

During an interview with The Sun, Will Smith says that his son Jaden wants a simple present for his 15th birthday:  Freedom.  Will says that his son has told him that he wants to be cut free from his parents so he can live his own life.

“[Jaden] says, ‘Dad, I want to be emancipated.’ I know if we do this, he can be an emancipated minor, because he really wants to have his own place, like ooh,'” Will said.

Being the strong and proud dad that he is, Will says that he understands where his son is coming from.   He says that it’s natural for boys his age to want to be free, so he gets it.

“[I]f kids just want to have command of their lives, I understand,” he said.  “It’s very similar for Jaden and me—your father’s the biggest movie star in the world, and you’re struggling for your little piece of dignity in this extreme shadow.”

Will and his son have a new film coming out, giving them yet another opportunity to earn millions of dollars together.  What a family business.

1. wendell walker

May 13, 2013 at 11:40 pm

biggest star in the world??? hmmmm

• saun hytche

May 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Children come THROUGH us not FROM us. This child may be on his path to his true purpose in life. Let him go.

• Greg

May 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Exactly…..I may not agree with everything about Will Smith. But I agree with him and his wife on this. I think a lot of black folks have a problem with this because they are afraid of of letting go of that Slaver Mentality so many of Us are trapped in. The Smith obviously don’t want their kids like this.

• john

June 3, 2013 at 10:50 am

This is not about parenting it is about the law. Will and his wife are legally still held accountable for the kids actions so what he (the child) thinks doesn’t matter until he is 18

• Lori R

May 16, 2013 at 11:24 am

I am in total agreement. When I was 15, my mother allowed me and my siblings a lot of reign. We never had to hide anything that we were going through around that age. I had a wonderful childhood and I was never, ever bored. The other girls that I grew up with came from really strict households. Every single one of our friends that grew up that way ended up pregnant as teens. My siblings and I went onto college and higher learning. We didn’t become parents until we were grown and married. I’ve raised my children the same way and at age 50 I still am not a grandparent nor are my 2 sisters. I’m not saying that there would be anything wrong with that, but folks out there that believe that there is anything wrong with Will and Jada’s parenting logic are dead-wrong!!!

• linda

May 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm

most kids at that age want to be on their own. it doesn’t mean you let them unless they are just tired of dealing with him and want to be rid oi him.

• Marcielena

May 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Will and his wife are great parents. However, it is what it is…Jaden is much to young to be on his own. Fact is…he is still a minor. He should wait until he is at least eighteen. He has more time to be an adult than to be a teenager. The teenage years will be over before he can realize it! So, enjoy being a teenager while you can! There are sharks in the water, and they’re waiting to bite at the first sign of inexperience. My advice to Jaden is to learn as much as possible while living with his experienced parents, be patient and absorb as much knowledge from them as possible,before considering stepping out into the REAL world. Besides…what’s the rush? Enjoy being a teenager! You have a Loooong time to be an adult!

2. Fabulous 7

May 13, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Will never agreed to doing this for his son he only stated he understood. Although the Smith’s have a unique parenting style, I don’t believe they would allow this to happen. The young man just wants his own identity without the hands of his parents. Which he will still need anyway. Life lesson, you can’t get what you don’t ask for. In his case, he’ll have to wait until he’s @ least 18yrs old.

3. PastorMic

May 14, 2013 at 12:14 am

My only comment is to Ms. N. Moore. If we look at the condition of a lot of our youth you will find the answer to your question. Because parents have stopped being parents our children are out of control! There is only one parenting book that has not changed, and that’s the bible. I am praying for every parent who are trying to be their children’s friend, homeboy or girl, and who have forgotten their roles as parents.

4. Tracey Lin Miller

May 14, 2013 at 1:23 am

In my opinion, it depends on how mature the child is emotionally. There are many children who have been emancipated at his age and lead successful lives. In the case of Jaden, he’s got so much money it wouldn’t matter because he can sufficiently take care of his financial needs without aid from his parents. I’m sure they’ll know if he’s mature enough to handle this situation.

• linda

May 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm

he’s not. no life experience just money. waiting to be ripped off!

5. Rae

May 14, 2013 at 2:25 am

He’s only 15. It Will be interesting to see how everything unfolds. The freedom I would have gotten at 15 would have been to pack my clothes then call CPS.

6. Ron

May 14, 2013 at 2:33 am

Please, if you DON’T have kids, STFU. That is all.

• yvonne

May 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm

What’s the U for?

7. Thelma Williams

May 14, 2013 at 2:59 am

When I taught in S. California I knew many EM children.Many were a year younger than this boy.At least if the parents grants his wish he does not have to struggle to support himself as many of the EM’s I knew.Not a birth parent but I feel the concern of many for this very adult move on Jaden’s part.I would not want it for my child but we will just have to see how it turns out for the family directly involved.His identity will be no more established in his father’s house than outside of his father’s house. I wish him well if granted his wish. I hope for his parent’s sake and his that they remain in close contact with him.I personally fear for him and his sister. That is a ruthless and cold business the family is involved in.It is hard for an adult of years to remain level let alone a child of 15 years.Good luck Jaden.

• KK

May 14, 2013 at 10:14 am

Excellent post Thelma!!!

8. BIGBOY

May 14, 2013 at 4:28 am

PROVERBS 22 : 6

9. Elizabeth

May 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

He is dating the young Khardashian girl, can’t you just see the way this is going. His own house, so much money, no parental supervision, and then here comes baby.

10. KK

May 14, 2013 at 10:12 am

Jaden as s child just need to be patient that time will come soon. Teenagers are very impressionable st this stage and think they know it all. Nope I believe he still need parental guidance until 18 years old.He is still in the maturing stage!

11. 3d2002

May 14, 2013 at 10:19 am

Like my grandmother always said………sweep in front your door before you sweep in front of somebody else’s……. @Nikita Moore, I totally agree!!!

12. Gee

May 14, 2013 at 10:52 am

“It’s very similar for Jaden and me—your father’s the biggest movie star in the world, and you’re struggling for your little piece of dignity in this extreme shadow.” WOAH!!!
    I can SEE why the child wants to be emancipated…Hardly any airspace in the house with an ego the size of Will’s…wow, I am stunned!

• TB

May 14, 2013 at 11:52 am

Gee,
      I was thinking the same thing. Will’s ego is crowding the house. LOL!!!

13. IAM

May 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

WHO CARES ?

14. rosemary davis

May 14, 2013 at 11:24 am

Some Children these days have become the Parents and Parents sadly have become the children and instead of the Children seeking to get their Parents approval it is the other way around especially when there is untold wealth in the family.These children have the things in life that ordinary kids don’t have and so for that reason they become detached not needing the family arrangement, Will and Jaden seemed to have goton lost in their own success to the extent that maybe Jaden felt he didn’t have parents and was on his own anyway, however he is still a child in need of guidance and wise council from his parents and if he doesn’t get it he will probably end up wild and on the loose, on drugs, and as parents they should not take his so call emancipation lightly I think the whole family needs some form of counciling now before it’s too late.

• Tawnymarie

May 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Thank you for what you said because I couldn’t have said it better. Never had a struggle never had a need, except for the parental attention from your parents. This is just a cry for help, trying to get someone to do something and willing to go through any measure it takes.

15. blacjk jones

May 14, 2013 at 12:03 pm

NIKITA MOORE– A independent thinker is what we need more of. Thanks for your open- minded opinion.—-PEACE!!!!

16. Greg

May 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I laugh at a lot of these comments by black folks on this site. The Smiths’ kids have lived the lives of privilege white kids. So what else would you expect out of them. A lot of these black critics act like they are obligated to raise them like us. They are not like us. They can afford this in every way. So they can. And that is enough said. It is not a right or wrong thing. It is a philosophical debate. We are not qualified to judge their child rearing. We only have an opinion or theories.

17. Kim

May 14, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I am so tired of these celebrity kids which act like stuck up little rats when their parents give them every damn thing!He wants his freedom?he wants to be grown so soon?He wants to be a adult?give it to him,but don’t provide no financial help.Let him be the man that he think he is and get a job in the real world and provide for himself…when he see how hard it will be he will be back knocking on the door..

18. Jess Jess

May 14, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Jaden Is far older than a 15year old. He is privileged and has been handed the keys to life and success from Birth. He is older than Most of US because he knew better to ask for his freedom NOW..before its too late Masonry is all about numbers! This has nothing to do with him wanting a “Place on his own”. That doesn’t even make sense! These children have had people over for dinner that influence the world that are straight INVISIBLE to US..Wake Up Simpltons!..Start looking at the real reasons why this is even a STORY there already trying to throw him under the bus..They bet that people will bury these stars with thier lame opinions..and buy into the propaganda when WE’re NOT on their level..He’s a grown as man!

19. Lori M

May 14, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Why is everyone jumping the gun and jumping to conclusions on Will and Jada’s choice regarding whether or not to emancipate their son and to let him live on his own. Will only made a statement regarding what his son would like for his birthday and Will responded by saying he understands his son’s wish to have his own place. That’s all! All children have wishes and desires for their birthday. Some teens ask for cars or vacations. (those that couId afford it). This is just a kid who has everything and probably has done all things so he just stepped it up a notch. It doesn’t mean they are going to get what they want. There is nothing wrong with the request. Let’s just hope Will and Jada says Hell 2 the No!

20. Harold

May 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

He will be watched from afar for a fee. He will not be alone. A 15 year old is not prepared to handle the world alone. Many hard lessons await a 15 year old who does not have money behind him/her. We all know that.

21. Oneplus one

May 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Both will and the boy are asking for trouble, time will tell!

Who wants to bet we will soon read and hear about the kid doing something strange?

22. Rev. Hanson

May 15, 2013 at 12:11 am

Jaden just made a wish, please lets all pray to God, and believed with good hope that, the parents will grant a better choise for their son in Jesus name. Many families are watching.

23. rosemary davis

May 15, 2013 at 12:16 am

A Child on the loose will cause his Mother shame a wise proverbial saying.

24. blog3001.xyz

April 8, 2020 at 10:16 am

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice even as
    you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog web site?
    The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea