Cheerios Ad Featuring Bi-Racial Couple Sparks an Overflow of Racist Comments

sdpposdds

A new ad might be at the top of the “Cute-ometer,” but not if you’re a flat out racist.  Cheerios took the bold step of including an interracial couple in an advertisement, only to find that the racist comments on Youtube would be nothing short of overwhelming.  The ad features a cute little girl speaking to her white mother about the health effects of Cheerios.  The girl looks like she could be bi-racial, likely leading audience members to wonder if they would get a chance to see her dad.

Then, when the mother tells the daughter that Cheerios are good for the heart, the camera goes to her black father, who is sleeping on the couch.  As he gets up, he notices that his daughter has poured an entire box of Cheerios on his chest in order to give him a healthy heart (get it?).

The socially brave commercial featuring an interracial couple and their daughter led to 1,600 likes on Youtube, and 500 dislikes.  This led the company to shut down the comments section to mute the racial hatred that tends to loosen up on the Internet.  Apparently, Cheerios might have been better off using a gay couple.

In fact, people were making references to N*azis, racial genocide and all kinds of other uncomfortable concepts in the comments.  It just got real ugly, real fast.

A CNN panel recently addressed the racism and nasty comments that can often appear on Youtube, where there is no call for political correctness:

“Everyone gets hate comments on YouTube,” said Andre Meadows, the creator of the Black Nerd Comedy channel. “You can make the most wonderful video in the world and you will get ‘Fake!’ and ‘Gay!'”But for minority creators, “when you get comments, it seems to be targeted toward race almost immediately. A lot of people get ‘dumb video, stupid video’ — but with mine it immediately goes to racial slurs.”

Some of the commenters even wondered why a black man would take care of his family.  But some were grateful to Cheerios for putting out the ad:

“Having been mixed in the ’70s, I’d like to thank everyone at Cheerios for making a commercial with an interracial couple! Going to buy boxes today! Many thanks for reflecting what my family looked like,” said Beschelle Lockhart.

“Just watched your commercial with the biracial family. Beautiful. Thank you so much,” said another commenter, Alexandra Burt.

Cheerios chimed in to say that it’s all good and that they are glad they released the advertisement.

“Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad. At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all,” Camille Gibson, Cheerios vice president of marketing, told Gawker.

If you ever thought that racism was dead, just look at the Internet.

1. Joyce Taylor

May 31, 2013 at 9:01 am

I’m so sad to hear this on one hand but I’m also glad on the other hand that the good comments out weigh the bad. We’er never going to get rid of the completely ignorant people so “KUDOS” to Cheerios for taking the high road!!!

2. James Ellerbee

May 31, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’m glad Cheerios made that bold move! Bravo

3. Otis Craig

May 31, 2013 at 10:20 am

Well for one I have a problem with it,one being a Blackman and seeing on tv how we as people are always viewed,it’s like the media is trying to erase to black union.everywhere you look on tv black people have to see it.every tv show,every reality show.and for the people who has a family like that would love it cause most of them don’t even consider themselves part of the black race,so of course they would love to crumble any thought of black love.

• Oh really??

May 31, 2013 at 11:56 am

Otis: Although I tend to agree with some of the things you said; I can’t agree with you about it crumbling Black Love. This is reality. There are so many bi-cultural children in this world and they also should be recognized. There are commercials with a child with two dads. This commercial was just sweet. And it shows REALITY. In fact, most children born into a multi-cultural relationship (depending on where they live and “if” the Black person in that relationship teaches that child to be proud of who they are, the child can relate to “both” sides of his/her culture. That is a fact of life and I would not disbarage ANYTHING that has a positive message. Black LOVE will NEVER go away. With that said, only the Black people can crumble Black LOVE. Not a commercial.
      Be Blessed.

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Unfortunaley Otis is correct. You don’t see good pairings of African-American women and men. You always see a bi-racial unit which consist of African-American man, white woman, children and family. On the other hand you see the African-
        American woman playing the obnoxious, loud and ignorant woman that men of color shun or the whore white men hunt down and abandon.

Nobody is being negative about the child in the commercial, it is the pairing they object to and we need to look at that picture.

• Jacqui Cooper

June 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

We do need more diversity in adds featuring black women to offset the stereotypical loud, obnoxious black female. More positive adds of African American women is greatly needed!!! I agree with you !!!

• GOLDENWINGS3

June 4, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I’m glad someone else sees what I see. I knew it was only a matter of time before this type of ad would surface. Black man/White woman all the time on commercials.

• Michelle Pearson

June 3, 2013 at 5:31 am

Amen

• Elliott

March 26, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I totally agree. I guess there should be an aggressive campaign against the millions of commercials with whites only and see what the results are. I applaud Cheerios in the a number of my younger siblings stated after seeing the commercial; “she looks just like me”

• james

May 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Hold on Otis. You may not have seen the Cheerios commercial with a black father and daughter, or the one with a black family. You are right about the media as a whole, but Cheerios has tried to do better.

• au

May 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm

i agree with you Otis. it influences discord against “black” union. & it’s always a “white” woman with a “black” man that’s advertised. I don’t see the encouraging of “black” women with “white” men unless she’s cheating with him. other than that it appears society is effeminizing the black man

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Thanks AU, you are so correct!

• QHatshepsut

May 31, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Yes, my sentiments exactly!

4. Otis Craig

May 31, 2013 at 10:58 am

wow!so I guess the days of the Cosby show is gone.no more seeing a strong Blackman on tv.no sense in teaching our young black youth to be proud of who they are,no sense in treating our blackwomen like the queens they are.that’s the problem with the interracial couples.there’s no black love in those unions.kids raised in that don’t know what being black and proud.cause for one they can’t.how can you be a proud Blackman when one of your parents is white.so them people could care less about the black union,there like the gay community with that,all thy see is them.they real sad part is the media wants to do away with any thought of black people being a family.and the person who put this ad out is like the media,they both would like to erase to loving black people.that’s what I find sad.i just hope I instilled enough in my son and hope he love his people and himself enough to see something wrong with stuff like this ad.

• Lighter

May 31, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Otis while I can agree with some of what you’re saying I can’t agree with all of it. Sure a black man can be proud that he’s black if his mama is white. Why not? Racism in this country has torn down the very fabric of every racial group except the majority!! We are moving into a new era of how we look at race and ethnicity in this country. It’s 2013 and although ignorance still prevails for many, the structure that was once created in this country is being torn down! I am not saying we should not be proud as black people, but when it comes to loving “other”, that should have no regard on how I choose to view myself!! If a child has two parents of different races why must they choose one over the other when they are in fact both? With so many bi-racial children in this world, especially in the US, it’s time it became recognized that this is happening far more than most would like to acknowledge. There is no disrespect to an all black family, this is a representation of A family. Frankly, I will be “SHOCKED” when I see a black woman with an “other” and have that ad on TV.

• au

May 31, 2013 at 2:43 pm

i agree with you Otis. there seems to be only a remnant of “us” left. but as the Lord says, that’s all He needs, is a remnant who will not turn their backs. are you on fb? i would like to friend request you 🙂

• Carol

May 31, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Otis, you are a racist. There is nothing wrong with IR couples. They have been around for a very long time. We all are people. And a Black & White family can be proud of both cultures. Look at our President, his mother was White, & he’s doing great. The racism needs to stop on both sides. You are not going to stop people from falling in love..and hopefully if your son marries into a different culture you will be able to be happy for him & accept it. We all are the human race.

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm

No Carol, Otis is not racist, he is realistic. Can you blog without insulting him? HMMMMMMMMM!

• AWalkrSha

June 1, 2013 at 10:47 am

I don’t think he is, but the mindset smacks of eugenics…
        And in light of none of us are any more than what we are.
        I thought Black American Studies and the subject of what constitutes “blackness” was always an issue.
        Justice Thomas was not “black,” whereas I was, even though I was married to a nice German girl.
        Both Justice Thomas and I look in the mirror and see a grown black man. My wife would say she no longer saw me as black. Although I understood the intent, I believed her thinking was in error, because that is a big part of my identity and the commentary from the people involved with the YouTube vid will not, cannot see me as anything else

• Wiser

June 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Carol, you are lost. The problem is not all IR relationships; however the issues are with any race contaminated with the pink species, specifically Black and Beautiful – disfigured with pink, pale, white peaches, apricot or the dingy. Society should not be subjected to seeing that crap on tv or in person. There is nothing cute about those types of experiments, cute kids my @ss those “kids” always look sick, as in specially challenged. Black men need to be very selective in who they mixed their DNA with… blanco chicks can not birth beautiful Black babies or enhance the Black community in any form.Did you seriously include the US president in your example? LOL poor thing

• Sonja

June 4, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I beg to differ with you, Wiser. You are actually not wiser at all. The only race we should be concerned with is the human race. I have two grandchildren by my son, one is biracial and the other is “full-blooded” black. I said that to say this- “Who on this earth today is full-blooded anything?” Noone that I know of. We are all mixed with something. I love both of my grands the same. They are adorable little boys. They will be viewed by society as black men because their father is black. They both will know all that I can teach them about being black men. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people choosing to love someone of a different skin tone; because that is what it comes down to. Stop spewing all the negativity. If you don’t like the commercial, turn the TV.

• Kristina

May 31, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Sir, I’m a “young black youth” and I’m proud of who I am. I graduated from a top 25 college for undergrad. I just graduated law school with honors.I come from a two parent, loving, black household. I grew up in majority white suburbs but my parents made sure that my sister and I knew our heritage and took pride in it. I know that I come from kings and queens and that I should be treated like such…and I happened to fall in love with a white man. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t mean that I don’t love my people. It doesn’t mean that I’m selling myself short, or I have plans to destroy the black family. The media didn’t brainwash me- I just love who I love. When have a beautiful daughter like the girl in the commercial, I will teach her that she too can love whoever she wants. I will also make sure that she knows where she comes from and that she has pride in her blackness. If I have a son, I will teach him to treat all women, black or white like queens. I will teach him about Martin and Malcolm and Fredrick and Marcus. I can promise you that he will know how to be a strong black man. I hope that by then more companies will be as brave as Cheerios, so my children will see themselves represented in the media.

• AWalkrSha

June 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

Nicely told…

• Wiser

June 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Another clueless one. White and Queens can not in any century or country be used jointly with merit. That title is a self-proclaimed fairy tale. How will YOU promise that YOU specifically can ensure “a strong black man” will be formed from your hopes and flawed thoughts? Is it because you “will teach him about Martin and Malcolm and Fredrick and Marcus” would they be the same and only ones you learned about in your life and from the horrid european educational-correctional system? Give yourself, society, all present and potential Black kings respect, by speaking a lot less until you learn a lot more. Start with Dr. Carter G. Woodson continue until you end with Dr. Umar Abdullah Johnson. Here is some extra credit for you, inform yourself and your future strong black man with the superior nature of these individuals: Boston King 1760, Sengbe Pieh aka Joseph Cinque 1811, Olaudah Equiano 1745, David Walker 1785, Henry Highland Garnet 1815, Rachel Parker 1851, William Still 1821 and John Parker 1827

• Kristina

June 3, 2013 at 5:18 pm

@Wiser I applaud your knowledge and with no sarcasm, I appreciate the study plan. I know some of those names, and some I don’t- my point wasn’t to name drop. I only meant that I will educate my son or daughter about his/her heritage. I agree that the European education system has failed me- it’s failed all of us. However, my parents (one of whom is an elementary school teacher) did the best they could to compensate for that. As an adult, armed with awareness beyond what my schools offered, I do my best to educate myself with continued study. I have a lot of time to make up for, to be sure. By instilling a knowledge in our children (whether they’re 100% black or bi-racial) we can only start the process. I, specifically, can ensure that whatever my child’s racial makeup will be I will take it upon myself to make sure that he/she has an excellent foundation. You can call that flawed and idealistic if you want, but all any of us can do is share with our children as much as we know and instill in them a sense of curiosity and duty to know more. As an aside, you can certainly disagree with someone’s opinion without insulting their intelligence.

• Brenda Savage

June 6, 2013 at 1:02 am

Your sentence I copied and pasted below, is nothing but reverse racism. I DARE you to read it again and think how you would react if a white person had written it. If you are completely honest with yourself, you would find it very offensive and racist!!!!
      I hope you will be man enough to reply with the truth, even if you do not like or agree with how you feel after….

I just hope I instilled enough in my son and hope he love his people and himself enough to see something wrong with stuff like this ad.

What would you think if a white man wrote the above comment after he saw the commercial??????

5. Ann G.

May 31, 2013 at 11:17 am

As long as there are White folks in the world, racism will NEVER be dead. Thanks to Cheerios for doing a commercial that truly looks like America. Until a segment of White folks accepts the fact that they are not the only ugly people that God created, there will always be the haters. I just suggest you get over it for everyone is here to stay, weather the racist like it or not, you are not God and you most certainly are not his chosen, if I read my Bible right, the Jews are his chosen not the White Man.

• coast cooker

May 31, 2013 at 1:39 pm

@ Ann G. I agree with 99% of your statement but I don’t think God chose to love the Jews more than any other.I don’t care what the bible says

• HiC486

June 3, 2013 at 2:10 pm

@Ann G…I don’t think the respondent was saying “God loves the Jews more than any other” race. ONE reason why God chose the nation of Israel (Jews) was because they were the people from whom Jesus Christ the Savior would be born. They were also the nation who was supposed to point other nations toward God. They failed miserably. Now, under a New Covenant, God has chosen us through Jesus Christ to be the ones to direct the world to the risen Savior and our Redeemer, Jesus Christ.

• Marie

June 3, 2013 at 10:02 pm

HIC486, you hit it right on the nail; I couldn’t have said it any better. God bless you.

• willie

November 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

you are right ann, GOD SAID HE CHOSE ISRAEL OVER ALL NATIONS.

6. Kirs

May 31, 2013 at 11:26 am

It’s a box of cereal, very good tasting, nutritional as well.
    As for the PICTURES ON BOX…LOVE IT!!

Ones MINDSET needs adjusting if it is offensive to you. We live in a “rainbow of beautiful colors” in this world and GOD made us all. Check YOURSELF …….

7. Glenn Krasner

May 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Well, it seems that as a society, that we are always taking two steps forward (Cheerios) and three steps backward (ignorant, racist comments about the commercial). But, at least there were more than 3x the likes than dislikes on YouTube, and I am confident, that with the new generations coming up, and the older, ignorant people dying off, progress is being made. As most of the commenters said, the commercial reflects America as it really is, with all kinds of families, and we should not blink an eye at this point. So, we should applaud any advertiser that shows the changing America in their commercials, and support them. Glenn Krasner in the Bronx, NY

8. joe

May 31, 2013 at 12:28 pm

i didn’t see anything wrong with that hope my daughters care that much about my health to think that would help!!! GEZZZZ people!!!! be worried about this—->>> The UN and Planned Parenthood work to push “Population Control” across the globe – Surprised? http://fb.me/1b2DvHPV1

9. J. D. Hill

May 31, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’m buying extra boxes of Cheerios this weekend. Not bi-racial, but I believe what Acts 17:26 says: “From one flesh God made all nations….” Not only that, but God is no respecter of persons, and neither should any God-fearing and God-loving person be either.
    Racism is demonic! It’s deceitful! Satan can have folk thinking that they are better [or less than] others just because of physical features which even God doesn’t look at! Racism gives the fool a false sense of worth.
    We really should feel sorry for the folk who objected to the Cheerios commercial for racial reasons. They are on their way to hell, unless they renew their minds and repent of such foolishness.

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 6:09 pm

God is not the problem, it is racist humans, Truthfully more caucasians are racist, it is more about economics than color, but it is easier to teach you child to hate by using color.

• donald

November 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Just want to say Amen to J.D. Hill.

10. Jah Larry Dread

May 31, 2013 at 12:56 pm

If the husband was white and the wife black…there would have been less dislikes. In many commercials the love interests for the black woman is the white man. Big up to Cheerios for the bold move! I will add this cereal to my grocery list.

• Great Earth Mother

May 31, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Agreed.

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 6:11 pm

White mothers teach their boys to marry their own kind and they listen. African-American mothers teach their boys to embrace the lighter skin, straight or curly hair, so they teach hate against themselves…so now men of color don’t want women or color, it begins in the home and with mothers.

• AWalkrSha

June 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

Not true…
        But that kind of thinking is why I would have nothing to do with you
        Not your blackness, but your attitude. Self limiting…

• Sonja

June 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm

You lie. You stated this like this applies to all Brown-skinned American women. I have told both of my children, male and female, that love comes in all colors, shapes, sizes and intellectualities. They are free to choose the person that best suits them. I will love whomever they choose because that will be the person who makes them happy. Join Wiser in ceasing the negativity. Thanks.

11. rosemary davis

May 31, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I don’t know why people are in an up roar regarding this commercial this is not 80 years ago when Blacks were being killed and lynch for even thinking about a white Woman let along being married to one.More and more black Men today are marrying white Women why can’t we all just get along and stop making everything about race.we are all from one race the human race and we all should feel free to be with whom we want too be with black or white without suffering backlash for doing so.

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Rosemary, it is because it is destroying the African-American family…GET IT!

• AWalkrSha

June 1, 2013 at 10:56 am

A cheap breakfast cereal is destroying the black family? Really?
        The deeply profound and ingrained issues involving the black family have nothing to do with
        Breakfast food or IR bonding…

• rosemary davis

June 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm

If you feel this way Elizabeth that it’s destroying the African American family maybe you should have a talk with the many African American Men who have walked off and left their children behind or those who spread their seed around and refuse to take responsibility for bringing innocent children in to this world and leave it to the Government Via Welfare and other Government programs to do what they themselves should do we destroy our own families GET IT!!!

• Phillip Battle

June 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Blame the victim— that type of behavior is a social aftermath of Black/AA being breded for sell during slavery. One would call it a genetic flaw. The desertion of ones child or children is on par with those of any other American ethnic group. We do not lead by no means leaps and bounds over any other group. That white boy you look up to is as guilty as your despised Black/AA man.
          Today’s Bi- Racial phenomenon—- if the product of a bi-racial union was so bi- racial– why do they fall under Black/AA in the real world?

Love is love between two consenting adults. Times has changed– imagine back in the day if those white boys who raped or had their Black/AA concubines on the side claimed their bi-racial child or children.

The issue of losing the Africa American lineage is something to ponder. It truly puts me on alert– considering the wave of immigrants, and how America has MARGINALIZED the Black/AA community. By way of undereducation, and the prison institutions.

Peace

• Jacqui Cooper

June 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

you are correct

• Raisheda D Angus

June 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Preach it Rosemary..where are those deadbeat African American men…Out here destroying themselves and our childrens. When I was younger I used to be offended by interracial relationships. Society didnt accept it as a norm so my ignorance left me with raciat bitterness..as a xhild those were my thoughts but now I am grown. I know that love doesnt have a color and the heart cant help who it falls in love with. Yes I would love to see more strong black families but In that case I would love to see a Real Family period. Black and white..white and hispanic does it really matter? if my children were in a IR..I would support it. They would have something I have not yet found from,any black man and now I know my options for dating are open to all racrs#Wish me luck on love

• Raisheda D Angus

June 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Sorry for the typos…lol

• olivia pope

June 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I am always amused when people like you think that times have changed so much and its a new day. In some parts of the country, black men are still being lynched, most for relationships with white women. The TV station CURRENT did a series on modern day lynchings.

12. Marti Verlander

May 31, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Congratulations to the makers of Cheerios! I’d like to be able to say that your boldness is no big deal–but that’s the way it should be, not the way it is.

I applaud you for understanding that people should be judged by their hearts and minds, by their actions–not by their heritage. Most of us are mixtures of many different peoples, so what difference could it possibly make?

I feel perfectly justified, though, in judging people by their actions, because that shows who they truly are. Yours was a very good action, an honest one.

Haters, I can only judge you by your hatred–and that’s never a pretty sight.

13. Leaping Larry

May 31, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I loved the commercial. I see one RACE, the human Race.
    As far as the posts and arguments over this. When you argue with a FOOL GOD sees two fools 🙂

• Ranublue

May 31, 2013 at 1:44 pm

You sound like an idiot. You see color like everybody else. You judge people by their race.

• Carol

May 31, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Your the idiot. We are just one race, the human race. We just have different cultures. Stop the Hating! It’s 2013!

• Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Carol, it is true you do see color unless you are color blind…be real.

• Carol

May 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Larry, I am with you! We all are one race…the human race! ;-D

14. DoverDavisJr

May 31, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This commercial could have a double meaning. First, it could imply that black men don’t have hearts or it could imply that this little girl wanted her father to have a healthy heart. Since the little girl took the box, we should view this commercial from her possible perspective, but also acknowledge the other possible subliminal message.

• AWalkrSha

June 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

No double meaning. The intent was clearly set up from the beginning.

• AWalkrSha

June 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

According to your logic, arguments could be made for the lazy black man because the father character is taking a nap…

15. Elem

May 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Cute commercial. However Cheerios is bad for your health, due the the genetically modified organism in their products. Our bodies are not designed to properly digest GMO food.

16. al williams

May 31, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Man all I can say is that we live in a very ILL Society,WoW…

17. R Bill Douglas

May 31, 2013 at 5:04 pm

The two Americas–old and new–in stark relief!!!! The old feeling and acting most insecurely, wanting to hold on to a preceived superiority based on a biological natural selection phenomenon of melanin pigment unique to people of color. The new evolving progressive America appears more secure with itself not needing a racial/color based construct to be self-confident and feel adequate!!!!!! The baby in the cereal commerical is most beautiful, especially her kinky/curly hair!!!!!!!!

18. Rozz

May 31, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I’m with the majority of these posters. It’s a celebration. It defines you can’t tell a heart who to love, or what color to love, also for those who are racist, mind your own darn business. You just self centered, and selfish, and ugly on the inside, and out. If you don’t like a person it’s usually because that person has done something to you. Not what you’ve done to them. Kick rocks.

19. Elizabeth

May 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I have not seen the commercial, but from what I hear it is not the fact that it is an interacial commercial it is the fact that the mother is white and the father African-American. I guess some folk are just tired of seeing this pairing all the time. As for me, I just eat the oats and keep moving, it is not my life.

• rosemary davis

June 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm

You just contradicted your own statement earlier you said too me thats what’s destroying the African American Family now you are saying it doesn’t bother you in one way or another you just eat the oats and keep moving it’s not your life.Well if it not your life and you are not bother by it than why are you so concern about the African American Family being destroyed?? I think you need to re-read your previous comments before make more comments and if you live in the U.S.and have a T.V. which you probably do you have seen the commerical not unless you live under a rock.

20. JDub81

May 31, 2013 at 8:24 pm

This is America, expect the hate…from both sides.

21. poppabear

June 1, 2013 at 12:29 am

Question… Why is it always blacks asserting it’s ok to date outside the lines. Magazines interviews, tv interviews, blogs etc? Have anyone (EVER), seen an article by a white woman influencing other white women to date black men? Just one article, blog, or tv interview… Just one?

22. Winkie Twinkie

June 1, 2013 at 3:29 am

There are all color of people that God has created on this planet we call earth. Where is it written that we as people should stay with our kind as people would call it? We fall in love as a people, no matter what color we are, if we fit then so be it…those that are spitting out all that hatred only themselves want to be with another that is not of their color, but they are scared what their family and friends might think of them…I worked for this guy whom is white married to a white woman, but would run home to watch VH1 wit Flavor Flav to look at the black women he was going to date, I think if he could have, would have dated black women, but didn’t want to get disowned by his family…he watched all the black shows on VH1 and I found it interesting. It’s okay to fall in love with whoever, no matter what race they are, if you LOVE each other, it’s okay. I am married to a black man, but there are white men that are attracted to me, it’s flattering, but I am happily married. Those that are hating on YouTube, stop it…Get a grip.

• Marie

June 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm

There’s nothing wrong with marrying another if you truly love that person; the problem comes when you find black on black hating their own race and tearing down one another. I saw a reality show where this black women was at a restaurant with a white handsome gentleman, and this black handsome gentleman was with a white woman; unfortunately, the black guy became arrogant and disrespectful towards the black women because he felt that she was putting down by being with a white man. Now that tells me that he’s not dating this white woman because he cares, but just to try to intimidate or bring division towards black on black relationships. So, when you’re with someone, let it come from the heart not from the outer appearance.

23. corbin56

June 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

My husband and I saw this commercial. Many of you know that I am a Black woman and my husband is White. We have been together for 39 years. Back then, it was unacceptable for a white man/black woman. After viewing the commercial, my husband commented that he would’ve been more appreciative of the commercial if the woman was black and the husband was white. He says the uproar would have been greater. Either way, I am happy that Cheerios took the initiative to bring this subject to everyone’s attention. My husband says he will be watching General Mills stock fall/rise.

24. IQ

June 2, 2013 at 6:51 pm

What color is Love?????

25. Norman Russell

June 2, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hey guys…the great Bob Marley had a black mother and a white father-that made him black…Come to Jamaica.You will see many black skinned,blue eyed kids with blonde hair…Once you go-you know…Its time we accept diversity and differences in colour.I would love to see a homogenous world where no one is black or white.Just people of the sun in all their glory!!!!!!!!

26. Michelle

June 3, 2013 at 6:46 am

And it’s back to the race thing again…Wow!!!
    SMH…wonder how many of these black/African American people who are not liking the commercial because it’s a mixed race couple can actually claim to be all black themselves. I know I can’t. My daughter is the same shade as the little girl from the commercial and both of her parents are dark skinned. Yes we do still see color and judge people from that perspective, but I can only hope and pray that one day when we see a mixed couple, of any combination, we will applaud them for staying together instead of hating on them for not meeting your standards. What I find informative in these posts is that there was only one post from DoverDavis Jr. that hints at something negative about the black man himself. Every other one is either negative or positive about his chosen wife and their daughter. What poppabear said is true. You don’t see encouragement from other races to date black people printed but that is because, unless they are total bigots, they teach their kids to have an open heart and mind. I see people commenting that if it was the other way around there wouldn’t be so much interest. Sad that everyone has forgotten The Jeffersons already.

27. MIZ ROSE

June 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Love the commerical, had to wait and catch it a second time because the little girl was so cute she got my attention the way she was looking at her mom so concerned, and then to see her concered about her father no matter what race he was it was just right to the point. GREAT JOB CHEERIOS!!!!

28. HiC486

June 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

There is no superior race over another race. Why White or any other race of people consider themselves superior over any other race is beyond my comprehension. To hide your hand behind your back when things are done to prohibit another race from progressing or receiving fair treatment economically, financially, socially, judicially or in any other manner is sinful and pure evil. The only thing that another person or group can’t take away from anyone is their relationship with God. Take our away Bibles, prohibit us from praying, testifying, singing, etc., but you cannot take away our love for God, family, and friends. The haters of bi-racial people will always exist. After all is said and done about this kind of stuff, God will deal with them in the end. That’s when the hateful will get their just reward for all that they’ve said and done. We have to just remember to keep our hearts pure before God as best as we can.

29. Jacqui Cooper

June 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm

This is just a TV ad for goodness sake. People in America have children and are married to people from different ethnicity, religions and backgrounds. The racism and ignorant remarks on here is sickening. There are other problems to worry about in this country like student debt, jobs and the failing infrastructure. This Cheerios ad just reflect the changing dynamics and the shit in the paradigm in our American culture. This commercial is quite realistic and harmless.

30. Marie

June 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Amen again HIC486!

31. Lori

November 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Wow!! It is sad that society is willing to show positive images of interracial families, but not of AA families. Society looks for images that do not exacerbate our differences. But we are different, and there is nothing wrong with being different. We are not all one race. But that does not mean that one race is better than the other. The real problem is that this country has never valued black people, during or after slavery. And the only way that AAs are accepted now is if AAs choose to create social, economic or romantic bonds outside the race. And many make this choice not out of love, but based on stereotypes, a lack of self worth or being tired of being an underdog. Is it that society believes that AA will never be good enough standing alone or is it that society wants to dilute everyone so as to not be reminded of the debt it owes to the AA population? Either way, it is cowardice.

32. aflmarab

March 11, 2014 at 10:40 am

Hello, for all time i used to check blog posts here early in the daylight, for the reason
    that i enjoy to gain knowledge of more and more.

33. What’s up, after reading this awesome article i am as
    well glad to share my familiarity here with mates.

34. cases for iphone 4s

March 30, 2014 at 1:55 am

1. Good PC shell case and aluminum back.2. Such model case is made for iPad 2 3 4 3. The case will protect your phone even from falling. 4. No need ship fee and only 24 hours to arragned your order. 6. Precise cutouts for Connector, and Headphone Jack, Volume and Speaker.New Battlefield 4 printing c