News

Children and Twerking: How Would You React If You Saw Your Child Twerking?

Father disciplines daughters for twerking.

Reported by Malcolm Morrow

A video has recently surfaced on the internet of a father beating his two daughters with a belt after finding out they posted a video of themselves twerking on Facebook. Twerking is a dance in which a female bends over and shakes her backside in a suggestive manner. The video has garnered plenty of attention after it went viral shortly after hitting the net. A number of people consider the father’s actions to be child abuse.

Other people believe the video is disturbing because of how the girls were screaming while they were being struck with the belt; however, a number of African Americans were disciplined in this manner by their parents. Many suspect the man put up the video of the beating to embarrass his daughters, since they were bold enough to shake their butts at a camera lens and post it online.

This is not the first time a twerking video has gone viral. Earlier this year, a short video clip of a visibly young boy twerking, surfaced on the Twerkers Gone Wild Facebook fanpage. The video, titled “Wheres This Kid Father?” has acquired 24,800+ comments, 54,500+ shares, and 19,700+ comments. The video sparked the ongoing debate about whether or not there is a hidden agenda to make African-American men effeminate.

While most commenters bashed the child and/or simply stated how shocked they were after watching the video, one commenter, Terese Evans, believes the child is on the right path. “[Y]all just mad cause he moves better than you. Leave the kid alone he actually has some skills. And will probably end up making more than everybody on here bashing him. Not to mention the fact that dancing like that doesn’t make you gay. Either you are or you’re not. If he is there’s nothing his parents can do about it anyway. if he’s not ladies look out. this kids got some crazy hip skills,” she said. Another commenter, Nola Hood, believed people were wrongfully sticking up for the boy. “He seems very young and he is moving as though he is experienced, and by that I mean..not a virgin. I feel sad looking at this. Who knows,what he went through as a child to make him display this behavior. All yall defending him need to shut up, cuz u aint no FB case counselor. Stop trying to be the hero and say something positive when u known DANG well this is not common for a young boy his age,” Hood said.

How would you react if you caught your child twerking?

Malcolm Morrow, a Your Black World Network contributor, is a senior, criminal justice major at The University of Southern Miss

1. Milwood

April 5, 2013 at 1:01 pm

me and my wifr talked about kids. I said they can fear me and not do the wrong thing or respect my wife and not do the wrong. The bottom is getting them not to do the wrong things out of respect or fear – whatever works..

2. Chris

April 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Back in the day, I woulda tore their a$$es in 4 halves for doing some mess like that! but y’all listen, after I got older and started doing lots of reading I began to wonder whether the “belt” or using a “strap” or “switch (small limb from a tree) was something that was passed down from the ol’ massa’ during slavery.

When I young my parents did tear me up ONLY if I did something bad…

I mean for a long time I never saw whites spank their children in the public and wondered how that worked

that being said, I don’t know anymore, I started taking way video games, cellphones, tv privileges instead and that was pretty effective discipline

But back to the brother, he shouldn’t have been stupid enough to post a video of it online cause they’ll take those children

3. Harold

April 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

That is how he was whipped as a child and I’ll bet it worked. I was whipped that way and it worked. So, where is the issue. His girls will probably not be loose now. Good job, dad.

4. Hiroader2

April 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

The chilldren have followed the glorifying bang, pimping, golddigging & strippers… Just look at culture of entertainment and their role models they have… These twerking videos are older than this man’s daughters and this video whipping is his “ignorant ” way of teaching them better instead of a discussion over dinner or a better cultural outlet … Sure a public video rants might impress other ignorant people But what’s the difference from the children and adults showing off?.. One video, An uncle beat his nephew down for gangstering, But never showed him building the boy up to be better.., Out in the community the people gave the boy the same treatment the “ignorant ” uncle put on the WWW. WORLD WIDE WEB…

5. SayWhat

April 5, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Seems like Dad should have stepped up his parenting way before it got to the point of his girls posting their twerking moves on FB. Then again, some children have no self respect let alone respect for their elders. A this little whipping they got (where no one was hospitalized) doesn’t mean they won’t do it again (they’ll just be sneakier about keeping it a secret). What infuriates me is when the authorities enforce laws that try to tell you how to raise your kids; on the otherhand, the authorities are not there for you protecting your children from gangbanging, drugs, bullies, the list goes on. Yes, there is a BIG difference between discipline and abuse. I don’t know about too many kids dying from a good old-fashioned whupping. Those welts go away and leave the child something to consider. So, the question ‘how would I react…’ the belt would def be folded in half, or I’d use the buckle end.

6. Ishmar Muhammad

April 5, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Something about Pain that makes people listen!

7. Read and do what is right.

April 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

We must raise our children to respect themselves and others.

8. Hiroader2

April 6, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Like I said if you publicly break your children down on the World Wide Web., You’d better put 10x’s as much effort intolerable building them back up… And let’s face it, As old as twerking is., This “ignorant ” man has no clue in building character into these girls’….. It’s not the whipping that upsets me.., It’s the http://WWW.whippings...

9. Akbar

April 7, 2013 at 4:33 am

A whipping is not about embarrassing someone so that was wrong.

10. Regina

April 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm

The father should have tore that mammy’s a$$ up for calling the cops. I would have made the m pull up a tree (Dogwood) and tore their a$$e$ up.

I am sick and tired of the white man/women and Oprah telling true black parents on how to discipline their children.

11. Peter D. Slaughter

April 8, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Twerking is really 21st century coonery and coonism only dressed up made to look hip and cool.
    These racist are cracking up as to how so many black’s are being tricked to take part in all types of distorted,self hating type behavior as some so-called hip entertainment.

Why don’t tyler perry make a movie called ” Madea does the twerk “.
    I bet a vast % of his fans will break their necks to see this monkeyshine non-sense.

• WTAbutnotwithacord

April 11, 2013 at 1:23 am

Uhmm what the father did was overdone he could have tap their azzes with a belt but not a cord which is more damaging and I can see why the mother was in fear of their daugther’s safety

Discipline can be done in many forms but some of these bad azz kids/children today need a little swat on their azzes, I seen kids talking back to their parents and being disrespectful and if i was

one of the village leaders I say beat that azz

as for Tyler Perry your wrong about anyone wanting to see one of his movie on twerking no substance and not worth anyone seeing it

12. shopping with pwsshopping

May 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

I do consider all of the ideas you’ve introduced on your post. They are very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for novices. Could you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

13. web hosting

May 16, 2013 at 9:07 am

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other websites? I’ve a blog based on on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel totally free to shoot me an email.

14. casino

April 2, 2020 at 11:47 pm

Brand new boots , every day !

15. 실제 돈 카지노

April 3, 2020 at 2:42 pm

Brand new boots , every day !