First Lady Michelle Obama Meets the Parents of Hadiya Pendleton

michelle-hadiya

by Dr. Boyce Watkins

The nation has grieved the shooting death of Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year old honor student who was killed very close to the home of President Barack Obama.  The young woman was shot shortly after performing for the president’s inauguration, and has become a symbol of the cyclone of violence that has engulfed the city of Chicago.

The community made calls for President Obama to attend the girl’s funeral as a show of support for the victims of inner city violence.  The president was highly responsive to killings in Colorado and Connecticut, but there are those who felt that he was ignoring violence that involved black children.  Hadiya’s shooting not only got the attention of the black community, but the White House also took notice, since the killing occurred in a neighborhood deemed to be “safe.”

“She’s important because all of those lives and voices of those families who were ignored — she now speaks for them,” said Hadiya’s godfather, Damon Stewart. “I don’t believe in coincidence — God needed an angel. God needed to send somebody for us to change.”

Hadiya’s mother, Cleopatra Pendleton, spoke at her daughter’s funeral, stating that: “No mother, no father should ever have to experience this.”

Mrs. Obama didn’t speak at the funeral, but did meet privately with Hadiya’s parents.   The president also sent a note promising to fight the gun violence problem that has impacted the nation.

The president’s note said this:

“Michelle and I just wanted you to know how heartbroken we are to have heard about Hadiya’s passing. We know that no words from us can soothe the pain, but rest assured that we are praying for you, and that we will continue to work as hard as we can to end this senseless violence.”

The city of Chicago has registered 506 homicides since 2012, with most of the victims being young people.  A close friend of mine who does autopsies in Chicago told me how much it hurts her heart to see that so many of the victims are black and brown high school kids.  While some of us are conditioned to believe that senseless death is acceptable in certain communities, we must be reminded that every child deserves the opportunity to live, even if they were not blessed with the opportunity to be born in the suburbs.

I applaud the first lady for attending Hadiya’s funeral, and I believe she actually cares.  It’s hard to imagine an older black woman from the south side of Chicago not caring about a young black woman from the south side of Chicago.  Hadiya was a young Michelle Obama:  Bright, beautiful, happy and full of promise.   I wonder how many other young Michelle Obamas have been victims of stray bullets in urban communities across America:  The morgues and prisons have extracted many of the most valuable human resources in the black community, and we’re the ones being blamed for it.

This incident is a reminder to those of us who care about the violence that politicians are most responsive when you tell them what you want.  Michelle Obama wasn’t sent to Chicago because someone in the White House suddenly decided that black kids are important.  She was sent because of the clear and vocal call by the black community for the president and/or his team to do something, anything, that shows that they support our kids as much as they cry for the little white kids in Colorado and Connecticut.  Not that those tragedies aren’t horrific, but equality mandates that the response to our children be just as compassionate.

The calls for the president’s support are not treasonous, nasty or disloyal:  They are part of the fundamental requirement that we all use our Democratic voice to get access to government resources that we create with our tax dollars.  Most of us voted for Obama and without black support, he’d be sitting wherever Mitt Romney is sitting right now.   So, the next time someone criticizes you for not loving President Obama, you might want to say this:  “Loving Barack is the job of his wife and kids.  My job is to vote for him and then demand that he does his job of being the president of all people and supporting my community as he does for others.”  If you don’t tell the president what you want, then you shouldn’t be surprised when his administration doesn’t respect you, that’s how the game of politics is played.

The final thing that we must keep in mind is that there are hundreds of other kids who’ve died but didn’t get the attention of Hadiya.  The heightened reaction to Hadiya’s death was driven by numerous factors:  Her proximity to the president’s home, the fact that she was an honor student, her recent performance at the inauguration and the smiling, dimpled picture on the headline of every newspaper across the country.  Had she been a young black male with bad grades on the “wrong” side of the city, the story wouldn’t have gotten past the fine print of the local newspaper (I saw this first hand when my best friend was shot in the head many years ago).

The point here is that we must grow past the illusion that some of our kids simply deserve to die.  We have to stop thinking that the rise in violence in black communities occurred solely because black people are less ethical, less intelligent and less productive than white people.  We must remember that violence was a direct product of the fact that many kids have an easier time getting access to drugs and guns than they do to getting a job or a good education.  This environment was created and maintained BY DESIGN, and I don’t know a single gun manufacturer on the south side of Chicago.  Where are these guns and drugs coming from anyway?  They aren’t coming from us.

Rest in Peace Hadiya, we love you.  Bless you Michelle Obama for showing that you care.  Now, for the rest of us, let’s get back to work, because our children must ALL be protected.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a professor at Syracuse University and author of “The 8 Principles of Black Male Empowerment.” To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

1. Renee

February 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Great article Dr. Watkins. I have read so many stories of homicides in Chicago that it almost numbs me to violence. I live in St. Louis and I believe Missouri is the number 1 state of homicides. Mrs. Obama’s appearence at Hadiya’s funeral spoke volumes to me. The black community spoke loud and clear to President Obama to show some sort of acknowlegement of urban violence. Stop ignoring the families who have to bury their love ones due to gang violence. Their grief is just as real and raw as those who lost love ones in Arizona to Sandy Hook. Children in some urban communities are being traumatize by these savage acts and the nation at large acts as if children in urban communities should be use to such situations. No. Not now or ever. The White House felt the heat on this one and wasn’t going to get a pass on ignoring the black community or issuing a patronizing phrase of “President Obama is not the President of black America and so forth.” No, not this time. Personally, it doesn’t matter what goverment official attended her funeral. Hadiya’s funeral was about remembering this beautiful life cut tragically short by senseless violence. I have read and watch some video clips on Hadiya’s funeral. It’s beyond heartbreaking to see family, friends, and strangers mourn this precious soul. Seeing Hadiya in her coffin dress in purple is too much. She was full of so much promise and potential as all children who die from these acts of violence. Even the ones who aren’t honor students and maybe hanging on the wrong side of town. They too are full of promise. President Obama knows now he can’t continue to ignore black people and our concerns. We will raise our voices as loud as any other group of people who are fighting like hell for a change in America.

• Janet

February 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Great post and thank you

• Earline Bentley

February 9, 2013 at 7:19 pm

thank you so much Renee for your comment!!!!!it’s right on time!!!!

• me

February 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

renee, a few blogs up is mine, desiree parker, thank you, you said the same thing i said, it’s not that we expect this president to treat black americans better than other groups of people, we just want him to do and treat us the same as he does other races. he cried for the kids in sandy hook and said that was the worst time of his presidency, well, we voted for him in mass numbers, he could not become president without our votes. we just want him to recognize our kids that dies viloently as he does others. someone needs to cry for urban kids, even though they may not be honor roll students, they are americans the same as the sandy hook kids. i do thank michelle obama for attending the funeral. one last thing drugs and guns are brought into urban neighbors to destroy our kids, so black people stop being so hard on the kids in those neighborhoods, if they could do better i think they would. the obmam kids are smart and well behaved because they come from money and attend the best schools. put one of those kids in the same environment as the obamas and i bet they will do just as good as the girls. best homes, best schools, and decent parents, makes good children.

2. Rose Sloan

February 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I am glad that the First Lady decided to attend the home-going of this teenage girl.

You are way off point in attempting to make this tragedy a black/white issue and an indictment against the President. Furthermore, black people are intelligent enough to speak for themselves and respond to situations without your demeaning coaching!

Where was your voice when George W Bush ignored the black community big time? Please stop promoting hatred, discord, and dissent among the black community!

• Toppergem

February 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Amen!!!!

• Udosed

February 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Who expected GWB to care about AfriAmericans????

3. Robert

February 9, 2013 at 6:22 pm

What do people on the south side of Chicago expect the President to do ? Well lets exame the options. You may not like them, but there are options. National guard patroling the gang areas thats#1, Send in Homeland Security people #2 Do you think for one minute your Mayor would want that ? Answer: Take back your neighborhoods, work with the police in your area. More than not you all know who the police are in your area, just as well you know who the gang bangers are too. I would be willing to bet, some one in that nieghborhood knows who the shooter is that shot Hadiya Pendelton. Do the right thing,, TURN HIM IN !!!!
    THAT IS WHEN IT WILL STOP. That is a begining. Stop blaming the police for not being there. Start blaming yourselves for being there and doing nothing to stop it before it starts.
    TOUGH LOVE !!!!

• Olin Ross

February 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I 100% agree with you……These gangs are Terrorist..They are no different than al-Qaida…..War must be declared on them right now….

• Olin Ross

February 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm

The CPD seem to me don’t give a rat turd..and why should they since these are Blacks killing Blacks…..They are tooo busy writing tickets…..Writing tickets generate revenues….while getting these gangs, drugs and guns out of our communities don’t….. I say called in the FBI,National Guards and used whatever force is necessary………….

• Wakeup

February 9, 2013 at 9:19 pm

@ Olin Ross & Henrie Lowe. How are black people demanding so much? That is ridiculous. President Obama has not done anything for black people because black people have not demanded him to. Now is the time. Black people need to demand their fair share, which they have not gotten since they have arrived on the shores of the United States. Black people are the reason America is America. There would have been no way America would have been able to develop on the scale that it developed without free labor. Black people have tolled and worked for meager wages. Now is the time to demand more.

And just to let you know, poverty breeds crime. When you trap (and I literally mean trap) millions of poor people in concentrated areas, without the necessary resources for survival, you get crime. Everyone tries to get over. They want to live the American dream too. Add on top of that guns, drugs and miseducation and you get what exists today. Think about whose really to blame. I’m not trying to place all of the blame on white people or slavery, but you can not ignore the detriment that white institutions have had on the black community. These institutions have caused black people to take on their mindset (a white mindset). Hence, black people are racist against each. If you don’t believe me examine your own words. They are filled with venom towards black people.

• James

February 10, 2013 at 12:38 am

@Wakeup, you need to wakeup. Your comments are ludicrous and ridiculous. Alright, what do you want OBAMA to do? Spell it out so everybody can read what a ridiculous request it is. Secondly, “demand their fair share”; what is that? “They want to live the American Dream”. Hell, nobody is living the American Dream unless they worked hard for it, got an education,inherited it, stole it from somebody or won the lottery. You see, everybody wants the American Dream but nobody wants to do what’s necessary to get it. Thirdly, “when you trap”; the only people “trapped’ are the ones that “trap” themselves. Your comment is those of a failure. You’re making excuses for doing nothing and being nothing. When a Black man in this country can become the President, every excuse you can give for being nothing and doing nothing is bullshit.

• Wakeup

February 10, 2013 at 10:22 am

@ James. I guess we are to ignore 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow? That has no affect on the human psyche. I guess we should ignore never being truly accepted as 1st class citizens. Affirmative Action exists because many of us are commonly not accepted in Universities, and professional jobs as a result of being black. We should ignore red lining? Which was an a attempt to keep all black people, including you bourgeois blacks, out of white communities. They were more than successful at this. We should ignore gentrification? Which was when blacks established communities were destroyed when the government saw fit to put something else there. Look what happened to “Black Wall Street” in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They murdered many of those people, just for thriving as a community. They have discredited or killed majority of all the true black leaders: Gabriel Prosser, David Walker, Marcus Garvey, Medgar Evers, Martin Luther King, Fred Hampton, Malcolm X…. What about COINTEL PRO? which was an attempt to neutralize black revolution by any means necessary. What about the current “War ON Drugs?” which is the new COINTEL PRO. What about the subversiveness of education, religion, music, movies, and the media. These are the institutions that are responsible for brain washing you. They cause you to make unintelligent decisions. All you have to do is to begin to study world history and you will see that in every country in this world Europeans have made an attempt to force their will upon others. You are clearly not a scholar. You have learned to read and write the “king’s language,” but you have not learned to use that to your advantage.

Just for your information, I do not need anything from President Obama or anyone else. I also acknowledge that black people have many problems and I am also trying to do my part to help black people solve these problems. But, lets please stop acting like these problems just appeared out of no where.

• Wakeup

February 10, 2013 at 10:39 am

@James. You need not judge someone when you know nothing about them. I just noticed that you said I’m “making excuses for doing nothing and being nothing.” I don’t know what you have achieved in life, but I know that I have numerous businesses that are successful. Whereas I train and employ black people. Also, I have a bachelor and master degree. I also have traveled to many places in this world that most Americans never get to see. Have you been to Africa, Europe, Asia, the Caribbean? My family has and we have been able to observe, first hand, the impact of white supremacy on the world. Like I said, black people have adopted a white supremest mindset and as a result have become racist against each other. You put me in a loser category without even knowing me. What does that say about your mindset. I would never have came at you like. I may disagree with you but I have respect for you because you are participating in public discourse. This is what I want from all black people. We need to learn to think. Maybe we will start out thinking wrong, like you, but I have “hope” that our thinking will begin to evolve.

• Wakeup

February 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

@ James. All of the people who love Obama have not taking the time to truly study his policies and his cabinet. Obama’s cabinet is filled with people who have built careers exploiting and oppressing colored people. The shear fact that Obama picked these people shows that he does not have the interest of humanity at heart. I would spoon feed you some of the info. about these people, but I currently do not have time and I think it would be good for you to learn to research.

• Educator

February 10, 2013 at 6:55 pm

James listen we are all right in some aspect or another,I can relate to being trap but not for long. I just recently received by BS degree and there are jobs all around me, but they hand pick who they want. So I can truly see the politics. Thanks be to God I’m going through and can see the handwriting on the wall. I am learning so much. People make judgement on you for all kinds of reasons (where you live, what kind of car you drive, etc. I’m not only qualified for a position working with children but I’m a mother who have raised 8 beautiful children, a minister, a wife and a woman with nothing but love and a desire to help our young people succeed in life. Our leaders here where I live are always in disagreement just like this web site. We all have made some really good points, and we all have to work together politians as well as parents, ministers, educators. Our main concern are our children your future and mine. So just have an open mind and get to work, first by truly loving our children by taking part in their lives by giving them hope. Its not going to be easy, there are children who try to give me a hard time when I make them do work in the class room. All I can do is continue to show my love and concern.

• James

February 11, 2013 at 9:43 pm

@Wakeup, first of all, I’m not ignoring anything, and I certainly don’t need a history lesson when it comes to what Black people have endured in this country. You said you don’t want anything from Obama; well, then why are saying he’s done nothing for Black people? What is he supposed to do? Is he supposed to erase the 400 years of history of slavery and Jim Crow you eluded too? My biggest problem with people like you is that you’re laying all the problems in Black America at the doorstep of this President because he’s Black. I’ve said this over and over, and some Black people just don’t seem to get it; the moment Barack Obama became the President, he also became “faceless”. We (Black people) should expect no more of him than they would of a White President or a President of any other race. I call your attention to a quote by the late great President JFK; “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”. You would be better served if you start living your life looking at the glass as half full, rather than half empty.

• James

February 11, 2013 at 10:28 pm

@Wakeup, I don’t need to personally know you to make an observation of your character. When you write and comment you put yourself out there for everybody to judge you by what you say. Not that it means anything, but I’m formally educated too, own and have owned business most of my adult life and I’ve traveled the world extensively to quite a few more places than you mentioned. Let me just add that a formal education, even advanced degrees and world travel doesn’t make you an intelligent or smart person, it’s how you process and use the information you’ve learned that makes the difference. I went back and re-read you original comment that I replied to and I don’t see the connection between that comment, my reply and the things you’re saying now. You have a problem with the President which I profoundly disagree with. When I challenge people’s opposition to the President I’ve never received anything but ridiculous rhetoric which makes no sense which is what I received from you. Everybody wants to make him a Black President but nobody can tell me how any of his policies have negatively affected them personally, or Black people in general.

• Sekou Osei

February 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Dear Wakeup, you are speaking the truth, Henrie Lowe and Olin are just the sterile bird splash of reality TV. Please don’t stop saying what you’re saying RIGHT ON, RIGHT ON, RIGHT ON.

• bryan

February 9, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thankyou Robert!

• willie gibbs jr

February 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm

right on robert you said it the way it should have been said..thank you.

• Wakeup

February 10, 2013 at 12:33 am

No disrespect, but your comment is extremely elementary. You have not truly analyzed this situation. Therefore, your commentary only touch on the surface of this issue. If you really want to learn about this issue I would encourage you to read Michelle Alexander’s “The New Jim Crow.” That would just be a starting point.

• Udosed

February 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Question: “What do people on the south side of Chicago expect the President to do?”
      Response: The same thing he did for the Children @ SandyHook. How’s about a few snapshots??? In the least one of those real good photoshoppers coudl have photoshopped him in….

• Tonya muldrow

February 12, 2013 at 9:35 am

I strongly agree!

4. Satchel

February 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

The president is proposing gun regulation reform, which is what he can do on the federal level. As far as the violence and killings are concerned in the communities, the president can do little, but support the efforts that the Cities and Communities put forward. Community violence is not a federal offense, it’s a local offense and should be handled by local authorities. We need to stop blaming and start doing.

• bryan

February 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Right you are Satchel!

5. kim

February 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm

AMEN ROBERT, YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY THOUGHTS!!!!!! WE THE COMMUNITY ARE RESPONSIBLE TO TAKE ACTION!!! THE POTUS IS NOT GOD, AND WHO ARE WE TO DEMAND HIM TO JUMP TO EVERY BLACK SITUATION?!???? IT STARTS WITH US CARING ABOUT US 1st!!!!! AND DOING THE THINGS YOU’VE MENTIONED ABOVE!

6. Wanda

February 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm

It’s just one more tragic reminder of how prevalent violence and evil is. It’s everywhere and no place is safe, as is evidenced by the Sandy hook tragic. Yes, gun law reforms are a good start, but until we really begin to address the mental and moral problems that are present within our communities, then it’s another case of putting a bandage over a festering sore.

7. bryan

February 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Once again Dr. Watkins and those who think alike are trying to find something to be critical about the President that he doesn’t care for the black community and the tragic end to this young lady Hadiya’s life through senseless gun violence here in Chicago and other cities in the US.If the President himself came to Chicago which would be admirable and addressed these issues,what happens next?His words or even if washington drops a whole load of money in the black communities across America it still wouldn’t resolve the matters until WE AS A COMMUNITY start doing our part like take charge of our kids,fathers take responsibility,stop trying to be friends with our children and be parents,getting involved with the police AND YES,SNITCHING when these crimes are committed especially when we KNOW who the person is who committs the crime.We’re always depending on the federal help though the help would be good,but all that don’t mean a hill of beans if we don’t step up and do what’s right.Michele Obama being here is enough.The President cares,but he has a whole nation’s weight on his shoulders and not only that,the whole world.Get up off of our LAZY BEHINDS and do what we need to do and uplift ourselves and stop wating on someone else.We have mayors,aldermen and women,state governments who live off of our taxes also people.Peace.

8. Ferguson, Catherine

February 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

It is a sad state of affairs when parents are looking to the President and any other person in authoruty to do what they are neglecting to do..to parent. Drugs and guns are in our communities because there are demands for them. If there are no customers, they would not find their way into the hands of reckless people. The same persons who are looking outside of the community for answers should try looking within the community for answers. I suspect many of them do not need to look much further than their child’s bedroom.

I remember residing in chicago when many blacks left the inner city for the suburbs in fear of the gangs. To their surprise, within several months, the gangs were in the suburbs. You know why? The gang members rode with them
    to the suburbs in the back seat of the family’s car.
    Therefore, as one parent to another, I encourage you to own your problem
    and work on ways to correct it within the individual and family systems.

9. Purple

February 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

This is so sad when are we as a people stop blaming everyone else and start back taking care of one another. The women folk are tired, black men get off easy they go to prison and live their families behind. When you read the blogs it’s always comments about how we are killing each other so what do we want the police to do. The police are to protect and serve. They are supposed to look after every community. President Obama isn’t ignoring black folks were ignoring ourselves. We don’t talk about safe sex, we don’t call folks out who are not taking care of their children, we’re still going on Jerry Springer and Maury Povic, do we demand that they put resources back into our communities.
    No we go on their shows they are millionaires, their children live good, their staff is mostly white and they rake in the bucks.
    How many times folks iChicago go to City Hall meetings, school board meetings, information sessions to learn about the community. These young people are victims of what grown folks did 30years ago when drugs hit our communities. No one said anything, everyone set back and allowed this stuff this happened. Now every one want to blame the President. If you didn’t want to vote for him you didn’t have too, if you wanted to vote for Mitt Romney it was your right too.

10. Purple

February 9, 2013 at 9:20 pm

How many times folks iniChicago go to City Hall meetings, school board meetings, information sessions to learn about the community. These young people are victims of what grown folks did 30years ago when drugs hit our communities. No one said anything, everyone set back and allowed this stuff this happened. Now every one want to blame the President. If you didn’t want to vote for him you didn’t have too, if you wanted to vote for Mitt Romney it was your right too.
    We have to take care of each other and show up and show out show are children we love them and spend time with them show them how much we love them take the Tv out the house no more reality TV if you dont take the Tv find interesting things to watch. We can do this I know we can. Stop buying violent video games and don’t allow them to listen to negative music. If we all did it the young people will see we all mean business.

11. pat 111

February 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Actually, I remember living on the South Side of Chicago in the 1960’s. It seemed as if a dump truck came in our community and poured out the all kinds of drugs. So many young people got addicted and then the deaths starting pouring in. Prior to that, we weren’t even exposed to marijuana. We were able to play freely in our neighborhoods and parks. We had a good time and played w/o fear. When we heard about heroin, it was in the context of stars such as Billie Holiday. It really saddens me to hear that neighborhoods that brought so much joy and a sense of family within the neighborhoods have literally become a war zone.

12. Annette Armstrong

February 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I am not one to response to some of these articles, but as a Substitute/Social Work Graduated,some of the schools (NC).I have noticed the behavior of some of the students is scary. There are some schools, I try not to go, but I know they need somebody.So,I try to make a different. I can tell you this,I have never seen so much disrespect they have for themselves and others\ as I have seen from this group of children(ages 3 and 20).So you want President Obama to come, it start at home,teach your children how to act.

13. AquaBlu

February 10, 2013 at 3:08 am

Robert I am from the south side of Chicago also. But you know as well as I do that they know who shot this child . You also know the code of silence that is between most Chicagoan’s and the reason why. More importantly: Don’t trip!
    The people who are asking for the President to do something are the ones withholding the info. Quiet as kept His punk A– no better than to turn himself in because He would never see a court date you know and so do I.

I suppose the ransom has to be more than they make on the street ser vin before somebody calls in. What’s so tripped out is there is a number anyone can call anonymous but they won’t do.
    In as much as I share your sentiments: It is not nor has it been in the past the Presidents fault or problem
    it’s a black folk problem and until they wake up and realize it things will be business as usual, If you know what I mean.

If the President was expected to attend every wake and funeral here in Chicago of our poor children being murdered in cold blood He would have to run the country from his home office here in Chicago.

So you know what Robert I appreciate you keeping it real my brother is a Chicago Police and like He says: If we only knew all the things that went on in our city that’s not reported the city would panic.

In closing I want you to know I am one who is doing something about the current situation and I am working with some very influential people who I can’t name names.
    But rest assure what we are putting in place will take the city of Chicago by storm and shock the other cities with similar problems and cause drug dealers gang members and the root of the problem to be solved with no remorse.

Again let me encourage you there’s a Shift that is taking place and it’s happening right before their eyes that will Change not only Chicago, but will trickle down like water on a ducks back to everywhere it’s needed. Robert on June 7,2010 I wrote Mayor Daley, and State Representative: La Shawn K. Forda 3 page letter in full structured detail the implements of my plan from start to finished.

PEACE

14. rick c

February 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

I think that local and stat politicians could and should have much greater effect on gun violence in Black communities than the federal politicians. After all even with the killings in Sandy Hook and Aurora, passage of any “gun control” legislation in the Congress is problematic at best. Handgun legislation is not even discussed and “assault gun” legislation is a very heavy lift at either the federal or the state level. It would take the type of pressure from the Black Community reflective of the civil rights’ movement, black community empowerment movement, the free South Africa efforts, the Martin Luther King Holiday thrusts, and the Million Woman/Man March mobilizations, etc.
    Lastly, one of those killed at Sandy Hooks was a beautiful little Black girl (her father-African American, her mother- Puerto Rican). I know Aurora, Co. and there were Black people at that movie theater – maybe none were killed.

15. JC

February 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

As taxpayerswe have a right to call these leaders out
    He needs to hear what we are saying, remember Freedom of Speech! If he
    can take time and meet with other groups, he needs to hear black people too. THIS KILLING IN CHICAGO IS OUT OF CONTROL!!! Parents need to start being held responsible for their out of control disrespectful children. If they can’t handle them, then. they need places to put these kids, no more roaming the streets. Each State needs to be more responsible for these troubled kids.

• 've said more than a mouth full and I commend uou JC yoAquaBlu

February 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm

JC you’ve said more than a mouth full and I commend you on you for stepping up to the plate, It’s obvious President Obama hears the voice of the black community or He never would have sent Michelle here to the funeral.
      Think about it how many funerals of other kids and young black children has he or Michelle gone to their funerals? So this in itself speaks to the people and the nation that He is aware of Chicago’s out of control youth.

Again I say He’s President of the United States of America not Chicago, IL We are no different better or less than any other state where innocent young black youth are wrongfully killed murdered and lives are simply taken from them like Trevon the young man in Florida.

So Chicago is no different. We all sympathize with the parents and loved ones of all the individuals families who’s lives were taken at such a young age. Like Trevon He was just walking to the store to buy candy ,like Hadiya was running to get under the canopy from the rain and was shot in the back. It wasn’t as if it was dark and she was mistaken for a boy or gang banger.

No the killer knew exactly what he was doing and where he was shooting. Ask yourself this why hasn’t anyone come forth and collected the reward money? Just like bad politics in Chicago Pay to Play nonsense this too has gone on every since I was a child. Children grow up and unless it’s learn behavior where did they get it from. The code of silence. Trust me they aren’t afraid to tell that’s just not what they do.

To them squealing on their peers is like a horse thief in the cowboys days. Punishment was being hung from a tree. These codes of Silence are not just among gang members but Police Politicians , Pimps Pastors etcetera. However: I do concur and I have open the door of opportunity to any and everyone interested in becoming a part of the solution and not the problem.

Some people talk a good game but have none. I on the other hand am not interested in complaints, but ideas and the thoughts of individuals who’s had enough of business as usual and instead of asking for a change make some. Remember ” The Preamble” We the people ” NUFF SAID!

16. james

February 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm

He is still patronizing all of you. Ok , she showed up will this make you more responsible. I really don’t get it start snitching on these idiots, oh I forgot it is against the new black code

17. AquaBlu

February 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Whose R U Talkin about James ? President Obama isn’t patronizing anyone especially not Chicagoans. I don’t know where you’re getting your information from but don’t get it twisted. I reiterate It’s A Code of Silence globally.
    Are you from an Inner city? These codes of Silence are globally. Remember there is honor among thieves. I feel you ,but if you want to blame somebody examine the source ( your people) Oh and by the way The Code of Silence is older than you and me put together,again we’re talking about Big Cities metropolitan areas. Really James? Stay Connected

PEACE

18. Latrice

February 11, 2013 at 12:11 am

When the Sandy Hook tragedy happened, that whole community stepped up and said NO MORE. When our kids die nobody says anything at all. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hadiya’s life being taken is tragic for sure, but she is not the only innocent child to die by gunfire. Once again I must ask, how do we pick and choose whose life to mourn? I don’t know about anybody else, but the POTUS has put more fed money in HBCU’s. Lowered the interest rates on students loans. Put a cap on how long you have to pay on student loanss. Extended the education tax credits for people in postsecondary school. So that to me is doing a lot for Black America. He has done more but to me education is the key for black people. ” Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today” MALCOLM X

19. Mouawia khater

February 11, 2013 at 8:59 am

The role that Michelle Obama is doing at the moment is a very positive and realistic so requires us to efforts being made ​​by the State towards the victims of violence and the non-recurrence of this tragedy in the future

20. Jordan

February 11, 2013 at 11:00 am

Please tell the truth to the lost/ non-culture gang bangers, U DON’T OWN THE PROPERTY YOU ARE CLAIMING, it’s all a illusion. Once you arrive in court and you are facing 15-20 years in jail they wake UP. The property you once claimed is no longer important to you any more. All the homies, friends are gone on and you are in JAIL. Now you fully understand how your incarnation affects you, grandparents, parents, sisters, brothers, uncles and your children. Jail and drugs control population. Black on Black crime a form of sickness, self hate, self-destruction, and genocide. Gang banging PLAYED OUT! I thought is was great the Honorable M.Obama came back home and gave her respect to the city she was born and raised in and to the family. As the bible say’s This to shall pass. Change will come.

21. Tonya

February 12, 2013 at 9:55 am

Correction… I strongly agree with Robert. If people stop with “the street code of silence” bull crap and start turning these idiots in, then maybe things will start changing. So many criminals get away with murder and that’s why it’s so easy for some of them to commit these crimes. We have to stop letting them get easy access to guns and we have to stop letting them get away with murder!!!…

22. Lillie

April 10, 2013 at 12:19 am

Thanks for another informative site. Where else could I get that kind
    of info written in such an ideal approach? I
    have a mission that I’m simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such information.