Tiara Williams, Righteous Thought: Nappy, Natural N*gga

tiara1

by Tiara K. Williams

When I get most annoyed, fired up, or have feelings of organizing a riot, It usually means it’s time to write. -Tiara Williams

About eight months ago, my hair died from a big chop and went into a natural heaven. There were seas of Shea butter, natural oil and ammonia- free conditioner to douse my head into. There were wide tooth combs and spray bottles full or natural blends of minerals that revealed my real curl pattern and texture. It was a euphoric feeling of freedom. Never in my life had I felt so bold, insecure, anxious, independent, and fearless at the same time. It was amazing!

Well, until I woke up one day and my hair was a dry, uncouth, unfavorable mess! It was NOT amazing. My hair wasn’t responding to any of the techniques I had learned on youtube at all. I was nervous. I could feel a knot in my stomach, because my hair was nappy and I had two auditions! I needed to book a job! Cursing myself I screamed, “I’ll never get a callback, look at my hair!” After an hour of brushing and hand curling, I was fed up! I eccentrically pulled the hair up in a scarf and went to my auditions.

I kept that scarf on for three days, I didn’t know what to do with my hair. I kept thinking how easy it would be if I just went back and processed my hair. But, in my heart I knew that was not the solution. I knew I had to learn how to embrace myself, naturally. But understanding how to do that was a process, indeed.

In the beginning, I was overwhelmed with all the vocabulary of co-washing, pineappling, shrinkage, stretching,and shingling but I got used to it. The transformation has been more spiritual than anything else. I learned mainly that it was different to be natural and different was exceptional. AND all the flaws that I despised about myself were perfect. Yes! All that from natural hair!

I receive a lot of resistance about my natural hair. The conversation is always so negative. “Natural hair is too black, too nappy. Annoying. Unmanageable.” However, I believe the contrary. Black hair is our link to our ancestry. We as a community lack identity, knowledge of ethnic descent and direction. I guess that’s why it’s so easy for us to kill each other in the street. We don’t understand that our roots that we so ferocious rush to straighten tells us stories of African Kings and Queens that once ruled their domains. Our hair helps us interpret where we’ve been and where we’re going. Unfortunately, when we perm our hair it also tells a story of where we’ve been and where we’re going. Which story will you choose to embrace?

PS. I booked the jobs.

#TEAMNATURAL

1. Al

January 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm

So very well written and stated. I wish so many more sisters would come to this awakening. We walk around everyday talking about how good and perfect God is and then every two weeks sisters go straighten out what they think God messed up on. You are beautifully you my sister just as God made you… Thank you.

• PetefromDetroit

January 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Yep.

2. PetefromDetroit

January 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Outstanding. I smile inside-out when I see a sister rocking her unique and natural hair. I usually say to these sisters, “Beautiful hair thank you”
    Happy New Year.

3. Chenell

January 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Well Said Tiara, I believe to each is own, but me personally LOVE my natural hair. I have been natural for 3 years, and so has my 19 year old daughter. We adore out ethnicity and Proud of where we came from and where we are going!!!!!

4. Barbara

January 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Our hair is versatile, we can wear it natural (my preference) or straight. Other non-Black women can’t do that. We are so fortunate to have our type hair.

Sisters such as yourself, Tiara, look absolutely gorgeous with your natural hair.

5. Wake Up

January 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I don’t think being straight or natural makes that much difference as it is a style preference. People don’t need natural hair just to embrace their roots and who they really are. That would be like saying we can only be healthy by growing all of our own gardens. Cooking for yourself is also a great idea but some people just are not born cook’s. To each his own, however, I do believe its important to embrace all that is you and make your own life the most personal and unique and happy experience it could be. If out mother’s and father’s supported living naturally on a lit of levels, the children would be more likely to appreciate that and appreciate it as they get older. Hopefully embracing all that we are in a positive way will become a new standard instead of putting any particular one down. Apologies for any typo’s as I am mobile. Peace and love yo all

6. Jackie Williams

January 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Good Job !! I been read article from Tiara Williams.
    Never thought it was you.
    Jackie

7. A.P.

January 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Great piece, as accepting and learning about your curl pattern is – for some a lot of the time – the first step to a lot of healing and personal development (Weight loss, healthier food choice (reducing your sodium intake), fitness (often yoga or dance, and/or artistic hobby – drawing, photography, writing/blogging). For that kudos to you. Keep it up. But as this new year unfolds… lets also take more notice about the words we use – let’s forgo the N word. We are people of West-African decent(or East African decent) whether we are Canadian, American or Caribbean… not simple Niggas. Peace be with you Sistah-girl.

8. HAILE

January 4, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Tiara Williams I am so proud of you. No black African real thinking person will press or perm their hair to look like white people.They tell you that it is easier to manage because they want to make some silly excuse. Admit it, it is a throw back from slavery when we wanted to look like the dead flowing hair white woman in the big house.When they first saw dread locks, they said that they were dreadful, thats how you get Natty Dreadlocks. They tell us our hair is nappy, Bad and all kinds of negative things.They are trying to be like us and we are trying to be like them. We were the first people on the earth. You see them trying to get a black, they call it a tan.I am so glad that the great force made me African I do not want any other.Stop pressing your hair, stop celebrating Christmas and all European holidays.ive African, Sleep African,be African inall you do. Slaves and dogs are named by thier masters, free men name themselves.I am so proud of our brothers and sisters with our natural bueatiful everything.

9. Ronda Poindexter

February 27, 2013 at 8:55 am

I love this article !!!!! I’ve been natural for 12 years now. The journey has been long and hard sometimes but I’m always happy to be myself. I’ve learned alot too thing you can’t possibly understand about herself going processed. You don’t fully understand knowing your real beauty and being comfortable with it Caring for ourselves the way we should have been our whole lives. Embracing your whole beauty. I agree also with the comment that we can’t praise God everyday for what He is and is doing in your life and try to correct our hair. It doesn’t need correcting because we are fearfully and wonderfully made. I don’t wear make up either because it makes the some point. And yes I’m happily married, healthy and comfortable with who I am, inside and out.

10. Loretta Young

June 3, 2013 at 11:29 am

Love love the article. Thanks for the hair inspiration..

11. Luxury

July 24, 2013 at 8:55 am

You should probably make a few videos before you start posting them.
    Then you can usually get views for beauty videos just by tagging the right words, then you’ll see it in related videos of other more popular beauty videos and people will click. Also, share them on facebook, twitter, myspace, etc. and people will watch them and maybe share them with their friends.. . You should probably do a few different ones to start with so that people know you’re flexible and won’t always do the same thing all the time.