Man Who Burned 73-Year Old Woman’s Face Says the Devil Made Him Do It

By  |  0 Comments


Deloris Gillespie’s killer, Jerome Isaac, was sentenced to a minimum of 50 years in prison, on January 11, 2013. This is for burning the 73-year-old woman to death, in Brooklyn, on December 17, 2011.

A security camera was able to capture the whole incident readily identifying the suspect, Jerome Isaac. The camera revealed that Jerome Isaac surprised Gillespie inside the elevator of the building where she resided. He, reportedly, “methodically sprayed Gillespie’s face with gasoline,” and then proceeded to pour gasoline on her body too. He then tossed a Molotov cocktail to burn her. Isaac was wearing a surgical mask and a gas canister, when he surprised Gillespie

While Isaac claimed that Gillespie owed him money, the daughter of the 73-year-old woman, Sheila Hillsman, said that her mother “suspected Isaac was stealing from her, so she fired him.” Isaac helped in cleaning her apartment, previously.

Probationary officers recounted that Isaac said the devil commanded him to do the brutal murder, so the sentencing judge, Justice Vincent Del Giudice ordered a mental health evaluation. Howard Tanner, Isaac’s lawyer, revealed, though, that the accused was competent to be sentenced.

Tanner added that:

“This is a profoundly sad case — one of the saddest cases of my career.”

Court Justice Del Giudice had let known to the accused the immensity of his crime:

“You acted in an especially cruel and wanton manner, intending to inflict and inflicting torture. You will be incarcerated for the rest of your life, do you understand that?”

Gillespie’s daughter reportedly expressed her dismay that the death penalty is not enforced in New York, allowing her mother’s murderer not to suffer the same fate her mother suffered.

Jerome Isaac pleaded guilty to first-degree murder of Deloris Gillespie in November 2012 at the hearing. On January 11, he was sentenced to a minimum of 50-years in prison as a sanction for his horrific crime. He was ordered also to pay $127,228 in restitution.