Tiara Williams: Righteous, Random Thought – I’m Not One of Shawty Lo’s Baby Mamas

tiara-williams

by Tiara K. Williams

I’ve had time to really process my issue with African American’s being ignorant on tv, radio and in the media.

We get to see other cultures in their entirety. We know that there’s a different between trailer trash and a working, upstanding white citizen. We see variety within the race. But I don’t know if other cultures can identify the “variety” within the African American race.
People like Travyon Martin, Sean Bell, Ernst Hoskins, and many others have died because some person didn’t know the difference.
Unfortunately the continuous stereotypes and negative images of blacks in the media, and our community perpetuating ignorance only makes matters worse.

I remember living in Minnesota and playing Volleyball for AAU teams. I was the only black girl on the team and sometimes we would travel to areas where people in the community rarely saw black people. Of course they only “knew me” from images that had seen on TV.

But after having a conversation with me, it’s always like – “you’re so articulate,” or “you are so…relatable.” You are so difference from what I expected. But, not really, there were tons of articulate black people coming from where I’m from. They just didn’t know any. Unfortunately, that family has probably never seen another black person in person.

Not every person has the opportunity to interact with good black families, so when they look me, they may not understand that there’s a difference between myself and Shawty Lo’s baby mamas.

When I see black people in the media, I think they represent me, because in most cases, they do.

Tiara Williams is an actress, producer, writer and owner of Reel Righteous Entertainment. Reel Righteous Entertainment is actively campaigning to bring positive images back to the African American community.

1. Debra

December 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thank you; what can I/we do to stop this ridiculous show?

• Satchel

December 30, 2012 at 11:13 pm

It’s Called a “Reality Show” It provides entertainment for anybody with a television set, if they chose to watch it. It’s producers feel that their is a demand for watching Kneegrows being foolish on television. Now, Television time is very costly and the network and sponsors want to put their products seen by as many of their target audience as possible. To stop this show , don’t watch it and do not buy the sponsors product. Speaking for myself I’m gonna watch it.

2. Daphne Young

December 30, 2012 at 10:54 am

By supporting these negative programs, we contribute to the continued
    assault on our race. No other ethnic group publicly allow others to define
    them, diminish the history as much as we do .

3. Matt

December 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Go to Change.Org and sign petition to stop this show.

4. Christopher

December 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

The only way that this negative imagery will desist its perpetuation within media is if we cease ingestion of those very images and diet of hatred, stereotypes and biased prejudice. There must be an active effort to change the way that Black people are portrayed because if we continue to be silent then it is almost as if we are condoning those images and agreeing with them.

5. black jones

December 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

If something seems negative—– don’t compare who you THINK you are to that situation make YOURSELF what you want to see in the world——not just to apease another race—–negativity is all the place. PEACE!!!!!

6. Barbara

December 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Excellent post James Hendrix. I got a huge laugh out of “cut the singing, and get back to cooking.”

@Darlene Lewis Your post is excellent too, except for one thing. You said as human beings we have a right to live our lives as we see fit. That’s true to an extent: “No man is an island.” Someone’s actions can have negative effects on the whole.

We have our first “BLACKFACE” movie in production, since we fought and died to put an end to BLACKFACE. (That’s right. Our struggle wasn’t about sitting on a bus only).

Whenever we allow Whites to be “post-racial,” they revert to their racist cultural image of us. It’s Whites who are bringing us Shawty Lo and the BLACKFACE movie.

7. Elem

December 31, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Dear Ms. Williams,
    The people who approached you during your volley ball days where good hearted people truly curious about you and looking to connect. Hate is hate, the problems AA people face is prejudice. Being articulate or wealthy makes no difference to hate mongers.