Gabby Douglass Discusses Being Called A ‘Slave’ With Oprah

Gabby Douglas, Oprah's Next Chapter

Gabby Douglas Discusses Ridicule and Racism With Oprah

Olympic Gold Medalist, Gabby Douglas, sat down for a special edition of “Oprah’s Next Chapter” to discuss racism and ridicule. During her discussion with Winfrey, she revealed that her decision to relocate to Iowa for further training was made in part by the mistreatment she endured at her training gym in Virginia.  “One of my teammates was like ‘Can you scrape the bar?’ and they were like ‘Why can’t Gabby do it? She’s our slave,” she said.

Ironically, her old coaches in Virginia Beach have been complaining about the lack of credit they’ve received for her training and development, according to Popular Critic. Douglas further explained her  horrific experience at the gym in Virginia saying, “I definitely felt isolated. I felt ‘Why am I deserving of this?’ Is it because I’m black?’ Like, those thoughts would go through my mind.”

Douglas became the first African-American gymnast to win the individual, and the first American to take both individual and team at the same Olympics. Sports marketing experts predict she will acquire $1 million- $10 million in endorsements from her victory. She landed the cover of Kellogg’s Cornflakes cereal after winning her second gold medal.

Although the media refers to her as Gabby, she prefers being addressed as Gabrielle.

1. wealthylady

August 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

For those that called Gabrielle ‘slave’ how many can say $90 million in endorsement?

2. Jane Foster

August 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Some team! My how things change suddenly.

3. cheche

August 28, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Why am I not surprised they strongly deny Ms. Douglas’s comments regarding treatment from SOME OF HER FELLOW STUDENTS!!!! Instead of them reaching out to her and hearing her side of the story…they chose to call her a liar!!! Well I think not. Anywhere you go there is always a ass who is ignorant and clueless much like the student who called Gabby her slave! I am in my 50’s and still witness the degrading practice of rascism! I work in one of the leading hospitals in my area…and still hear unprofessional and racist comments and I never say or file a complaint because of the very type of backlash Gabby is receiving from said facility and because no one will do anything about anyway! So instead of denying her claims;check into them and stop picking on the wonderful young lady!

4. Karen Ware

August 29, 2012 at 8:07 am

Gabrielle is to be admired for being able to keep her focus, and to remain positive in spite of the negativity which she sometimes experience. She comes from a loving and encouraging Black family. They are also to be commended for spending money and time on Gabrielle’s gymnastic career. She makes all of us, regardless of race, proud. Keep it up Gabrielle. God is good.

5. housewife one

August 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I absolutely believe it! Many of the people in the Tidewater region of VA are blatant biggots — I personally experienced it within my frist month of arriving here. — You must remember, Slavery in the US was conceived here in VA!

6. CDE

August 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Not even worth dwelling on the world is full of ignorant people. Who has the millions of dollars in endorsements…enough said……

7. Derrick

August 31, 2012 at 5:55 am

These crackers ALWAYS shortening the names of Black people. I don’t blame her to let the world know, that her name is not Gabby because her name is Gabrielle! And, Blacks should also address her by her REAL name! I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t want to be addressed by a name we were not born with, also.

As far as, those racist in Virginia are concerned, we must not forget it was the FIRST state to enslave Black people, here in racist amerikkka!

CHECK:

The first 19 or so blacks arrived ashore near Jamestown, Virginia, in 1619, brought by Dutch traders who had seized them from a captured Spanish slave ship. The Spanish usually baptized slaves in Africa before embarking them and English law considered baptized Christians exempt from slavery, so these Blacks joined about 1,000 English indentured servants already in the colony.

NOTICE THE WORD ‘BAPTIZED’, WHICH THESE XTIAN RACIST CRACKERS USED TO BRAINWASH OUR ENSLAVED BROTHERS AND SISTERS. THIS TYPE OF SLAVERY IS STILL USED TODAY IN THESE ENTERTAINMENT CENTERS (CHURCHES)

“The internal slave trade became the largest enterprise in the South outside the plantation itself, and probably the most advanced in its employment of modern transportation, finance, and publicity.” The slave trade industry developed its own unique language, with terms such as “prime hands, bucks, breeding wenches, and fancy girls” coming into common use.

NOTICE THE WORDS ‘PRIME HANDS, BUCKS, BREEDING WENCHES, AND FANCY GIRLS’. THOSE YANKEES, THOUGHT GABRIELLE WAS A ‘FANCY GRIL’…[in their warped racist minds!

NOW, Y’ALL SEE WHY I GET IN THESE CRACKER’S ASSES WITH THE TRUTH!!!

GO GABRIELLE!!!

• LIZ

September 2, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for telling the truth! Blacks need to hire white folks to do their laundry and clean their houses. We need to put white folks in their place!! Enough said!

8. Robert

August 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Not to worry little one,, You have done far better than anyone else. Keep on moving !